1. SolZephyr

SolZephyr Member Supporter

Should I wait for beta readers before making big changes to my story?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by SolZephyr, Oct 6, 2018.

Specifically, major changes such as an additional chapter and surrounding scene changes.

I've been unhappy with this one section of my story for a while and I think I finally figured out why.There are several smaller reasons, but a big one is that I think it's too rushed, and I feel like an extra chapter put in there (plus some expanded scenes surrounding where that chapter would go) could improve that.

I've decided that I'll focus on just continuing the story for now, but I want to know if I should go back and make these changes before looking for beta readers or if I should wait for feedback in case I'm being too self-critical.

FYI, I'm nowhere near beta-reading yet. I'm only at 33k words and I'm expecting the final work to be around 120k. I'm just asking about this because it's really been nagging at me.

Thanks!

2. Veltman

Veltman Active Member

Why would you build a house over a foundation you're dead set on replacing? I don't know about you, but I'm completely unable to continue my writing if there's something I will inevitably change. It also makes it easier to keep consistency and helps me with editing and cleaning up things later on.

Just my 2¢.

Shenanigator, Linz and SolZephyr like this.
  3. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I think a manuscript should be as good as you possibly can get it on your own before sending it to betas. I think disrespectful of their time and efforts to have them carefully critique something you already feel is problematic. The job of a good beta (IMO) is to point out the things that you probably didn't or couldn't see.

4. DueNorth

DueNorth Senior Member

Don’t take the time of your beta readers until your story is ready. One mistake I think beginning writers make is having people read their work too soon. Don’t “burn” your beta readers. You will need them—and they (almost always) are only good for one read-through of your novel. So, don't have anyone read it until it is the best you can do.

I had a set of beta readers (limited) for my first draft, another (different) set for my 2nd, another for my 3rd, etc. It’ll come down to how many people do you know that are willing and able to do it. I’ve done it for some writer friends (and with their permission wrote notes “in the margin” using google doc) and it is time-consuming and a lot of work. So, if you think you need to do some rewriting before others read it, do the dang rewrite. Don’t be in a hurry to have it read until it is ready!

Shenanigator, Linz and SolZephyr like this.
  5. SolZephyr

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone! I'm glad to hear everyone so far is giving me the same answer. I've always seen warnings to new writers about falling into the trap of rewriting and re-editing to the point where they never actually finish, so I'm just not sure when I should be satisfied that my story is "good enough" and when I should make the changes I think I should make.

Since everyone so far says I should go for the rewrite, I'm fairly confident now that that's what I should do.

6. Veltman

Veltman Active Member

Even though that's the option I sided with, along with mostly everyone here, don't forget about the traps you mentioned. I'm guitly of it. Never finished any one of my books.

7. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

For me, it's good enough that I'm satisfied with it, and if the world were filled with people exactly like me there would be a consensus that it's amazing.

Betas are there to tell you the things that don't work for people who aren't you.

Shenanigator and SolZephyr like this.
  8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I agree with everyone who says you have to be satisfied with it first, and only then give it to your beta readers.

Shenanigator likes this.
  9. Dracon

Dracon Contributor Contributor

You should write enough to get the novel to a stage where it's as good as you can get it on your own, however, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to be happy with it. If you think something is off, but can't quite place what that is or what you might do about it, beta readers might be able to tell you what the problem is (or if there even is a problem at all), and/or suggest what might be done to resolve it.

Shenanigator and SolZephyr like this.
  10. DueNorth

DueNorth Senior Member

Most novels go through multiple revisions. Mine went they 7 including 1 that included substantial rewtites. Now that I’ve gotten as far as having a few agents read the first 50 and 75 pages (and reject it—one because it was “too literary,” the other because “the story didn’t”t grab me”), I’m going to do another rewrite (as soon as I’m done with the first draft of my current novel in progress). When is it good enough? Depends on the criteria (and who is reading it), but I think you will know when the story is done.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    SolZephyr likes this.
  11. SolZephyr

Well, I finally got around to doing it. I've rewritten all of the scenes that bothered me and added in an additional one to slow down the pacing. I know the current product isn't perfect and it won't ever be, but I'm at least happy with it now.

It's a very satisfying feeling, so I'm glad so many of you told me to make the changes rather than wait and see.

Veltman and DueNorth like this.
  12. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

If you're far away from getting betas, there's no reason to keep it the same if you know how it should be fixed. Why get criticism on something you know won't stay? Also, it's best to get that stuff out before you end up building on it. If you leave it, it's quite possible your revision stage will be very messy.

Shenanigator likes this.
  13. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

I you like feedback and collaboration and bouncing ideas back and forth, why not, get a beta, ask for opinions at any stage of writing.

LazyBear likes this.
  14. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

As a writing partner, I'm more useful at the early parts to set of the rough skeleton. Last time, the book had too many repeated flaws to be fixable using my input. Just getting someone to skim the first chapters can help with the plot development.