1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. gar0190

gar0190 New Member

Should this be included in query?

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by gar0190, Feb 2, 2011.

Soon I will be sending out a query for my children's book.

This particular submission guide says to include a synopsis of my work, my background and/or publishing history, and anything else that is relevant.

Would it be beneficial or unnecessary to write that I have been published several times in my university newspaper? (I've graduated since then). If beneficial, do I include the names of this articles or just say I've been published? I can't decide whether a publication in a university newspaper is noteworthy or not.

Thanks!

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

not really... unless you were either paid for your work, or it was relevant to the work you're submitting, it would be best to not mention any writing history...

i write children's books for a chicago publisher and i mentor many aspiring writers of children's stories/books, so if you want any help, or an assessment of the ms, just let me know... good luck with it...

love and hugs, maia

3. gar0190

gar0190 New Member

The articles I've had published are not relevant to the work I'm submitting... so I understand you're response. Thank you!

4. Spacer

Spacer Active Member

It could indicate to them that you are experienced with working with a publisher, at all.

5. gar0190

gar0190 New Member

So do you suggest that I include it then? Thanks!

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i wouldn't!

it's not relevant, so your book ms must sell itself... having articles published doesn't really impress anyone unless you've made a name for yourself by doing so...

were you paid for those articles?... were they related to writing for children in any way?