1. AshleyGrim

AshleyGrim New Member

What do you think about character's "theme song"?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by AshleyGrim, Sep 13, 2017.

Hello again!
    I have been browsing deviantart's original characters just for curiosity and I've came across some oc's that have 'Theme songs' in their descriptions.
    Everything is fine, but 95% of them have copyrighted music from pupulars bands, for example, imagine if I say my orignal character theme song is "Crazy by Aerosmith" doesn't that sounds kinda...weird?
    Shouldn't a theme song represent the character if it's exclusively made for them (like an OST)?
    Or maybe I'm the one who still doesn't get the Concept haha

Give me your thoughts below! :D

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I think that's pretty normal. Most people will pick a song that makes them think of the character, or that they think the character would like :)

Trish, AshleyGrim, Moon and 1 other person like this.
  3. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Don't worry, it's just for fun :) It's not actually something the author is supposed to get money for after publishing, it's just a way of getting a feel for what kind of person the character is.

... I for one have extensive playlists for my three protagonists, both individually and as a group.

Trish, AshleyGrim and Moon like this.
  4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah, that's a horrible song. Even by "modern" Aerosmith standards.

surrealscenes likes this.
  5. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Certain songs invoke a feeling or image in our heads surrounding a character or event in our stories. Nothing wrong with that, but I personally cannot use songs with lyrics to think of my characters. Instrumentals are usually where I go for my "theme songs" playlist.

Trish and AshleyGrim like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Some of my characters have theme songs, and some of them were inspired by songs. I don't make a big deal out of it, and it's not something I mention in the book or anything.

Simpson17866 and AshleyGrim like this.
  7. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

This is a totally new 'concept' to me and not something I think I'll ever employ :meh:

8. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

If my character had a theme song, it would be "Rude Awakenings" by Dropkick Murphys. That's just for fun, though. It's not something I'm going to mention in the story.

Trish and AshleyGrim like this.
  9. surrealscenes

surrealscenes Senior Member

The same song can represent vastly different things to vastly different people, just like stories or books. A lot of times, theme songs with lyrics are assigned to a character due to the 'feeling' it gives the author/audience, usually not the lyrical part.

Whenevr someone I know hears me listening to Bad Day or Ain't Shit Changed they tell me it is my themes song, even though lyrically they really have nothing to do with me.

Simpson17866, Trish and AshleyGrim like this.
  10. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I don't have theme songs for my individual characters, but I've definitely got a theme song for each of my couples.
    • Nate and Zachary (Under the Knife): All of Me by John Legend. The lyrics are just such a perfect fit for their relationship. Especially the line, Even when I lose I'm winning, since one of the major conflicts is the two of them finding a balance between their desire to be the last cook standing and falling in love.
    • Rob and Kelan (From Blood to Roses): A View to a Kill by Duran Duran. Its working title was actually Fatal Kiss, which was a direct reference to the lyrics.
    • Adam and Jin (Kneadful Things): Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac. Stevie Nicks's witchy, evocative lyrics match up well with my short story about an everyman regular dude who stumbles into falling in love with an honest-to-God genie. Sure's Rhiannon's a girl, but Jin is actually genderless so that doesn't bother me in the least.
    • Connor and Jaeden (Gravity): Believe by Stained. Not only one of my favorite angsty songs, but it sounds exactly like the type of song Jaeden would write for his band.
    I have a little music video in my head of all the key scenes that plays whenever I hear "their" song.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    AshleyGrim and izzybot like this.
  11. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I'd give everyone an AC/DC theme song if were so inclined.

upload_2017-9-13_21-30-6.gif

Laurin Kelly likes this.
  12. AshleyGrim

AshleyGrim New Member

Well, not everyone thinks in the same way, I do really enjoy listening to their songs, but I won't consider myself a fan or something like so.