1. Saphry

Saphry New Member

Side characters development

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Saphry, Aug 16, 2019 at 5:11 AM.

I read a guide on self-editing your manuscript, and one of the recommendations is to consider providing your side characters with their storyline instead of being just one-dimensional helper. What's your take on that? What if you have many side characters?

I couldn't find similar discussions in here, so I apologise if it has been brought up before.

2. Kallisto

Kallisto Ruler of the world... somewhere...

I don't think you necessarily need to have a "side story" for them, but I do believe that any characters who play a significant role in the story should be fleshed out with a goal, motive, and conflict. If they have these three things, they'll develop their own story arcs that hopefully will be resolved by the end of the story.

Saphry likes this.
  3. Lilith Fairen

Lilith Fairen Member

You don't need side-plots for every side-character, but it does add depth to your story to have other characters grow in their own ways alongside the main character. They're people too, with their own problems and aspirations that don't necessarily revolve around what the protagonist desires.

Saphry likes this.
  4. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Senior Member

I don't give them to every side character but I like to give as many characters as possible a life outside the book and the plot. It doesn't have to be in depth, just hinted at.

Saphry likes this.
  5. EFMingo

EFMingo ...

You don't necessarily need to give them the depth of a main character, but they need to be at least to somewhat understood in relatable sense. Otherwise they are simply a tool, or an emotionless robot. And they're predictable, which can be an even worse sin.

Personally, I at least try to give them a small personality, and a few life goals. It at least gives a bit of direction for them and allows the writer some confines to work within for what the side character finds acceptable or is comfortable doing. Make them real, just don't waste too many words or too much time on someone who ultimately isn't as integral as an MC.

Saphry likes this.