1. GraceLikePain

GraceLikePain Senior Member

Silly Things Writing Makes you Do

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GraceLikePain, Dec 25, 2020.

So we all know that writing causes us to do weird things. Writing isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle. So, what are the weird things you've done/searched on the internet because you wanted to write a story?

I work in a finance field where I regularly come into contact with various names of companies, people, and places. So whenever I see one that is particularly good or interesting, I write it down on a scratch sheet of paper. Did you know that there is a city in Pennsylvania literally called "Forty Fort"? Look it up, that's totally real.

What have you done in your research?

Lifeline and Dogberry's Watch like this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

When researching for what year cable TV became a thing, I discovered they had television in the 30's, but not for entertainment in people's homes. It was more like a closed circuit kind of thing, and i don't remember just now what it was used for.

EDIT—Wow, the earliest models were actually used around 1909! It was a clunky sort of mechanical device with a spinning disk called a 'Rasterizer'.

Also, for the same story, researching when microwaves came out, I learned they originated because physicists working with big powerful radar dishes discovered chocolate bars in their pockets would melt if standing within the area of radiation. From this they developed the first microwave ovens in the mid 4o's—a unit the size of a regular home oven called a Radar-range. It wasn't until the late 70's or early 80's they developed the compact countertop units we're familiar with today.

Damn, TV in 1909 and microwave ovens in the 40's! Who'da thunkit?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

How long does it take someone to die who's been stabbed in the gut?
    Where can a person get shot and not die?
    What's the most lethal natural poison? (ended up buying a book about poisons because it has become kind of a fascination for me)
    When did JFK die? (I was double checking myself)
    How to stab someone
    How to track someone through a wooded area
    How to change something in someone's DNA (finally just asked my friend who is a geneticist and does lab work stuff for a living)

I think this is the sum of my more recent searches.

4. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

For my memoirs, I sometimes lie down and imagine unique monsters. At other times, I lie there thinking of ways to provide existing monsters unique spins with regards to origins, capacities, etc.

Cave Troll and Lifeline like this.
  5. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Second guess myself on the spelling of simple words.... I have caught myself staring at a couple of words wondering if it was right or not, even though it didnt have the red squiggle beneath it to indicate it was wrong.

Also, being afraid to look up certain things because it could A) indicate me as a perv or B) indicate me as a psychopath or C) put me on a list of potential terrorists.

Sooo.... I peruse the library stacks and take hand notes :p

(Hashtag paranoid?)

Cave Troll and ThunderAngel like this.
  6. whatnots2015

whatnots2015 Member

I'm not sure I've done anything too weird yet, just the usual pulling over to the roadside whilst driving to jot down an idea that's suddenly leapt into my head, looking at baby names websites to get ideas for character names and bothering my loved ones by yacking on about ideas for plot, setting etc as if they're as interested as I am!