1. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Simple, Creative Recipies Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mallory, Jul 4, 2011.

So I hate to bake, but I like the kind of cooking that involves starting with very simple and easy things (mashed potatoes, eggs etc) and adding on to them.

I found this awesome fudge recipe that takes literally five minutes to make and only takes three ingredients. You need a can of sweet and condensed mild; a bag of choco chips; and half of a bag of white choco chips, m&ms, whatever you want. Microwave it in a large bowl for 3 minutes, stir it up and you are done!

This can be the thread where people post and share interesting stuff to cook....for me, the easier the better, but if you want to share something more involved then feel welcome.

2. T.N.Korgan

T.N.Korgan New Member

When I was a kid my babysitter made what she called bubble bread pizza you take biscuist from a can, cut them into fours, roll them up, dip them in pizza sauce, line them up close on a bake sheet, then sprinkle mozzerella or whatever kind of cheese you want, then bake. You can always add more ingreidents if you want. It's messy goodness when it's done. I love it.

3. Marranda

Marranda New Member

T.N. Korgan- your sitter was a genius! I'm going to try that with my sons dinner tonight (I seriously have to be creative to get him to eat anything vegetable :( )

One thing I created when I was pregnant- and totally by accident, not a product of pregnant hormones or cravings for odd foods- was what I like to call the French Grilled Cheese Sandwhich.
    It includes:
    ~2 eggs (larges, small, XXL, whichever you have)
    ~2 slices of your favorite sandwhich bread (sourdough worked best for me, but anything goes!)
    ~Enough cheese to cover one side of a piece of bread
    ~ 3 slices of tomato (or not if you're a Grilled Cheese purist)
    ~salt/pepper/garlic powder/whatever seasoning you like best (I use lemon pepper)

* Beat two eggs in bowl until yolk and whites are well blended while the stove top heats your cooking pan.
    * Once pan is hot, spray some PAM or drop some butter in there and smear around to cover the bottom.
    * Dip bread slices in egg- make sure they are both covered completey in egg- and place in pan to cook like you normally would French Toast.
    * Once it's time, flip the bread over and cover with cheese slices (and tomato if you aren't a purist ;) ), then stack the slice without cheese on top of slice with cheese to complete the Sandwhich part.

Tah-Dah!

Honest, it's worth at least one try, and resouceful if all you've got in the fridge is eggs, bread and cheese but ar sick of plain grilled sandwhiches or french toast without syrup ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. Mallory

+rep, I have to go try that....

5. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I guess you lot wouldn't be able to find the ingredients for the Turkish food I make, but one thing I can pass on--when you make rice, DON'T just boil it in loads of water and then drain it! It's completely tasteless like that.

To make rice the middle eastern way, first, wash the uncooked rice well, until you don't get white starch coming off it. Then put it in a pot with a fairly thick bottom and well-fitting lid. Cover it with water--when you put your hand in and touch the layer of rice, there should be about 2cm--the water should come to the first joint of your middle finger. Add a big knob of butter, and salt. Put the lid on, and simmer it on a low heat for about 20 minutes, then turn it off, but don't take the lid off because it cooks in the steam for about 5 more minutes. When you finally open the lid, the water has all gone, and the rice is fluffy but not burnt on the bottom.

P.S. I know they use rice steamers nowadays in the far east, but I've never seen them in use here. Oh, and we often add grated fresh tomato at the start of the cooking as well.

1 person likes this.
  6. madhoca

What's biscuit from a can?

7. T.N.Korgan

T.N.Korgan New Member

Premade biscuit dough you can get from the store.

8. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Wow, that's exactly how my family cooks rice. Up in the whitest parts of the north. Wonder where dad got that idea from (think he used to work on a merchant ship in is youth though).

The only creative thing I do with food is find different ways to hide the taste of vegetables. I'm 21 and still can't stand the taste... makes me feel like a kid. I do this by using lots of gravy and different spices. Pepper and chili being the most popular. Then mash it together with potatoes/rice. Yes, I make rice mash. It's good stuff, even on it's own.

I like lots of spices and stuff, but I don't know what goes with what, and there's a lot of trial and error.

9. madhoca

When you make hamburgers, grate carrot and mix it in with the meat. You can add a little grated courgette, potato and onion too. We sometimes add grated hard cheese or roll the hamburger in grated cheese as well.
    Stirfried sweet red peppers are supposed to be good against cancer. Cut them into long strips before frying. You can add thin strips of chicken or beef, bean shoots or spring onions and soy sauce too if you want a Chinese-style meal.
    Any dishes from Norway you want to share, spklvr?

10. Mallory

I'll be trying that one too....

11. Vespers

Vespers New Member

This one is really good, it's been passed down through the men in my family for generations. First, you take the graham. You stick the chocolate on the graham. Then, you roast the mallow. When the mallow's flaming, you stick it on the chocolate. Then you cover it with the other end. Then, you stuff. Kind of messy, but good!

12. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

If you're grilling out make potato packets :D

Thinly slice enough potatoes for however many people will be eating (peeling is optional, just make sure you wash them well if you leave the skins on). Get aluminum foil and place a couple of pads of butter on it (or drizzle with olive oil if health conscious) sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, parsley, and/or italian seasoning. Put potatoes on top and repeat oil/butter and seasonings. Then close up the packet (you might want to double wrap) and place on top rack of hot grill. Should be done when whatever meat you're grilling is done.

*fresh minced garlic, diced onions, and chives are the best but since we're going the fast easy way :p

Also, you can do this with virtually any vegetable and it's yummy :D

1 person likes this.
  13. spklvr

I'm gonna try those burgers too. Sounds yummie.
    Dishes from Norway? Well, except sheep head (people eat the eyes!!! WHY!?), all we've got that I can think of is komler. Potatoes grated together and shaped into balls, sometimes with meat in the center (but those aren't "real") that you boil in stock. Served with salted lam, mashed kohlrabi and sausages. Not that difficult to make, but takes for freaking ever. It taste delicious though, but looks like something an owl vomited.

14. Trish

I was somewhat interested til you threw the owl vomit comment in there... Ew!

15. spklvr

Ironically the only way to get little kids to try it. Seriously though, if you find you've got some time to kill one day and want to try something new, you should definitely give it a go. As I said, it's easy enough to make, but it takes a while.

16. Mallory

The owl thing reminds me of something that happened when I was in high school. We were in bio dissecting owl turds, and the teacher was talking about how it's totally safe and clean because of the owl's digestive system...and then she was like "I'll prove it" AND SHE ATE ONE!!!!!

(Sorry.....)

17. art

art Contributor Contributor

I'm sure everyone knows about eggy bread, but just in case there's one poor soul who doesn't:

Mix a few eggs in a bowl. Add a dash of milk.
    Cut slice of bread into triangles (You could go for rectangles but that would be silly: everyone knows trianlges taste better than rectangles).
    Dip the bread into the mix for a period of time. (I will not specify the period because there's art to it: too long and the bread turns to a tissuey mess; too little and your eggy bread will be less eggy than appropriate)
    Fry the dipped bread, preferably in butter - both sides, naturally.

A savoury delight! (Sprinkle with icing sugar and you've got a toothsome dessert!)

1 person likes this.
  18. Mallory

Thanks! +rep! And yeah triangles are way better. Especially with grilled cheese.

1 person likes this.
  19. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

On a field trip in 5th grade, our hiking guide ate a maggot, as did two of the kids in my class. :eek:

20. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

That sounds super yummy. And I'm going to have to third the triangle thing.

21. Mallory

Bahahahaha I love how we're talking about gross things in addition to recipes. Gigi, I've got a friend who has an intense phobia of maggots, kind of like mine of large cockroaches.

Anyone know cool stuff to do with macaroni? I like to add other things, like mayo and/or mustard with other spices, besides just the standard cheese sauce/butter. Stuff to make it thicker and more substantial.

22. Trish

Sure throw beef broth in a pot, browned (and drained) hamburger, chopped veggies, and whatever spices you like, cook the roni in there and have hamburger soup (it's yummy!).

Cook it like you would for mac & cheese, but add the usual cheese (I like velveeta for this), cream cheese, cooked sweet corn, and chopped chicken or turkey (and salt & pepper to taste). Delish!

Cook like you would for mac & cheese but add spaghetti sauce, cooked/drained burger, and ricotta cheese and top with mozzarella. It's like lasagne without the work :)

That's it for now.

EDIT: No it's not, one more...

While roni is cooking sautee some diced green/red/orange sweet peppers in a pan with butter, diced onion, and minced garlic. In another pan brown some burger. (I know lots of pans, but still fast and easy) When the roni is done drain it, add the pepper mixture, spaghetti sauce, & (drained) burger. Season to taste. Yum... again :p (Best if you top with parmesan!)

23. Mallory

^ Awesome. Thanks.

24. Vespers

Vespers New Member

I'm disappointed my Sandlot reference was either overlooked or ignored. Perhaps my recipe expertise are of no use among veterans.

25. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

mal!!!!!!!