Simple, Creative Recipies Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mallory, Jul 4, 2011.

1. thatguy

thatguy Member

Anyone else like to throw together whatever their fridge and spice rack offers and just hope for the best? Any live-alone bachelors? Ever since I got one of those mini flattop grills, this is now the only way I cook. Usually it turns out pretty good, sometimes its amazing and sometimes it goes straight under the sink. When it turns out well it's just that much more satisfying because you made it yourself, on the fly.

My best flattop cook up so far has been baby carrots that are cooked for a few minutes, then steamed by sprinkling them with water and covering with a lid. Onions, thrown on at the last minute, just enough to take on a light golden brown. And German sausage, lanced several times along the side. I threw some pepper and garlic salt onto the veggies, and that was that.

I ate bread for carbs, and damn was it ever good, but I love simple and hearty meals, so it may have been a meal of required taste. Anyone else have any memorable recipes they made up on the spot?

2 people like this.
  2. Rennuruof

Rennuruof Member

When I make ramen noodles, I throw in some frozen veggies while it's all boiling, then scramble and egg, and mix it all together. And sometimes make a cheese quesadilla :p

Plain baked beans, add some honey, some brown sugar, and a few drops of Tabasco. Pour over some buttered toast and (insert drooling smiley here)
    I know someone who uses orange soda, but I can't ever make it work.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I always spice up ramen. I add what I have on hand: hot sesame oil, minced onion, ginger, chili powder, chopped chilies, mushrooms, cayenne sauce, fish sauce, shrimp, and/or shredded asiago or parmesan.

If you use the fush saucem go easy - a little goes a long way.

4. thatguy

thatguy Member

Besides clams I had never made enemies with consumables until I met my first jar of fishsauce...

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I do simple things with ramen. I drain the water off, mix in an egg and maybe some parmesan cheese, and LOTS of fresh ground pepper! (I can't live without pepper.) If I have leftover roast chicken, I chop it up and put it in there, too. Simple, noodly, and tasty!

1 person likes this.
  6. Marranda

Marranda New Member

Ok, I'm typing this in a hurry 'cause the cookies are in the oven and last I saw, I had 10 minutes, BUT I wanted to share this amazing idea/creation I just concocted::

Peanut butter and Nutella cookies.
    I didn't have enough peanut butter for a full batch of peanut butter cookies, but I did have a whole container of Nutella.
    The recipe called for 1 cup of peanut butter, but since I didn't have enough, I used 1/2 cup peanut butter and 1/2 cup Nutella, and judging by the dough- Freaking YUMMY!!

The rest of the recipe is as follows::

1/2 cup margarine/butter
    1/2 cup shortening (I used vegatble oil)
    1 cup white granulated sugar
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 1/2 cups flour

oven set @ 375, and bake for 13min (if using glass baking dish like me) or 8-10 min (if using metal cookie sheet like I am doing also ;) )

Let me know how they turn out!!

AMENDMENT::Do not add 1/2 cup Nutella if you don't like thin cookies.
    They still taste really good, but if you want cookies that are thicker, and only chewy in the middle, follow listed options below:
    ~1/2 cup MORE flour to make 3 cups flour.
    ~1/4 cup LESS oil/shortening
    Or
    ~1/4 cup LESS Nutella

I didn't realize this going into the creative baking process, but Nutella is wicked oily on it's own. So my cookies looked fabulous while baking, but as soon as I took them from the oven they deflated :( But hey, if you aren't a cookie snob and skinny cookies are still your thing, then don't change the above recipe ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

Had some yummy Taco salad for supper tonight :love: It contained: Hamburger, Chili seasoning, Melted mozzarella cheese with a mixture of melted colby jack cheese, Sour cream anddd crumbled bacon to top it off, (Of course the tortilla chips is a must :p) Yum!

1 person likes this.
  8. art

art Contributor Contributor

Nice!
    There's an elegant variation on this theme, which I feel obliged to proffer.

Recipe
    One cup of Nutella.
    Eat.

1 person likes this.
  9. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

Don't mean to gravedig, but I saw this and immediately thought awesome!

This is a really good recipe if you want something different from plain burgers, and all these ingredients you can keep on hand so its a good impromptu meal.

Blackbean burgers

1 can blackbeans
    mayonaise
    salt, pepper
    cumin
    garlic (opt)

Drain and rinse the black beans and divide them up as you like. Mash the majority of your beans up with the back of a fork until they are relatively one consistency. Then add the rest of the black beans in whole and stir them in. Honestly its up to you how much of your beans to mash, but I like a relatively chunky burger.

Then you mix in the salt, pepper, cumin, and minced garlic (I guess measure by your own discretion), and the mayo, which I think is like two tablespoons per standard can of blackbeans. It keeps them really moist and awesome. Mix it all up and make four burgers out of that.

Then just treat them as normal burgers. I cook mine in a sautee pan because they probably can't hold up on a grill. And since everything is already cooked in the burgers, you just have to worry about heating them through and browning them. Serve like a regular hamburger. (I'm sure you can use vegan mayo to make this animal-free).

1 person likes this.
  10. Sundae

Sundae New Member

This is the absolute BEST spicy cracker recipe ever. Everyone I make it for want the recipe and keep asking for it. I made a whole batch of it for my co-workers, it was gone within 20 minutes.

But you need:

1 1/4 cups canola oil
    1 package ranch dressing mix
    2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
    1 box saltine crackers - the one with the four sleeves of crackers

Either use a zip-lock bag or a large plastic container with a lid. Mix all the dry ingredients with the canola oil and mix throughout. Place crackers carefully into bag or container and drizzle the oil mixture onto them while turning the container/zip-lock bag until the crackers are coated.

For best results - keep turning the bag/container every hour for an entire day if you can - or at least a couple times throughout the day.

Open bag/container and enjoy. They are so good by themselves, that not only will you eat more than you should, but you won't eat anything else.

11. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

This isn't really a simple recipe. However it belongs to my Coffee Cake Recipe.

----

Brown Sugar 'n Spice Coffee Cake

Usually when I bake I like to separate out the liquids from the dry ingredients before mixing them together.

For your liquid bowl you will need:

1 squirt of lemon juice

2 tsp of vanilla extract

Agave nectar [I use agave nectar over sugar and I usually only put 3 pumps of it in because I don't like sweet things]

3/4 cups of soft tofu or 3 eggs [3/4 cups of tofu is the equivalent of 3 eggs. I would really recommend trying the tofu it gives it a nice texture.]

1/2 cup of softened butter

2/3 Almond Milk [or any other kind of milk, but this recipe was created with all my alternatives]

For your Dry Bowl you will need:

3 cups of flour [I actually go for 2, but it depends on how much you're serving. And it just makes the cake thinner or fatter]

1 1/2 tsp of Baking powder

A pinch of salt

1 dash of ginger [or more depends on your flavor palette]

2 dashes of all spice [or more depends on your flavor palette]

3 dashes of cinnamon

And for your filling bowl, the brown sugar is used as filling in the middle:

-1 1/2 cup of brown sugar [originally I thought this would be to much, but remember we want the brown sugar to caramelize in the middle and ooze like a filling]

-Almonds [I put almonds in for my taste. Which is 3 handfuls. But you can put less or more]

Directions:

-Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit

-Grease your cake pan so you don't forget

-Next add in the ingredients from the liquid bowl into your dry bowl slowly. While beating it with a beater.

-Wait till the cake batter is nice and smooth and remember to get the sides if stuff isn't in the batter

-Once it is nice and smooth take half of the batter and fill the bottom of your cake pan. Remember not to much or else you won't have enough for the top. Not to little or it will be thin.

-Once half the batter is in the cake pan, put in your filling on top of it. Remember to coat everything or else you have bald spots.

-Once the filling is complete put the other half of batter on top. You may need to smooth and cover the sugar spots. Air pockets are fine.

-Once complete put the cake in for 30minutes and let it cook.

-Remember even when the timer beeps always use the toothpick technique. If it's clean take it out. If it isn't clean and still has gunk put it back in. But 30mins usually is a good time to take it out so it doesn't burn.

-Let it cool. Cut. And then enjoy.​

1 person likes this.
  12. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Thanks! I'm going to make that.

13. J.P.Clyde

Tell me how it turns out. I can also write other recipes. Like for my potatoes and mushroom roast. And other stuff. Alternative cooking.

14. Marranda

Marranda New Member

YESS!! J.P.Clyde:: I'm glad you posted that recipe! I was hoping you would!

15. J.P.Clyde

Marranda, I hope it turns out well for you.