1. amementomori

amementomori New Member

Simple Present/Present Perfect/Present Continuous/Present Perfect Continuous

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by amementomori, Apr 22, 2011.

I'm writing one of my stories is present form. I've noticed that I switch between simple present, present perfect, present continuous, and present perfect continuous though-out the story within narration. However, I do stick to one of the four listed (present continuous) 70% of the time, and I was wondering if I could get any insight on tense switches. I mainly do these tense switches by starting a new paragraph or chapter, and sometimes within the same paragraph(which I do believe can be too confusing for the reader), but never within the same sentence. I guess I really don't have a question. I'm really just looking for insight -- as I have been studying past books read to receive further insight -- to edge out some discomforts that tediously eat at my mind.

Also, I would like to point out "as" in this last sentence I wrote. I have not been able to form an opinion on my use of "as" in awkward cases:

"I like football, as it is my favorite sport."

And there are other instances where "as" sounds awkward, but, is still grammatically correct. I just can't seem to think of other awkward examples, as my mind has went way off track during this post.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what seems awkward to you wouldn't necessarily do so to me, so i can't help you there...

however, if you feel something doesn't read smoothly, why not simply reword it?

3. dnsralg

dnsralg New Member

Agreed. If in doubt, read aloud. You can either read it to yourself, someone else, or listen to someone read it to you. Then you'll be able to hear if something's awkward and most likely be able to distinguish why it's awkward.