1. Fish

Fish New Member

Novel Skipped from the begining to the middle

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Fish, Aug 17, 2009.

I am attempting to write my first novel, but the problem I am having now is that I seem to have skipped from the beginning to the middle. It has moved much to fast and the characters have developed far too quickly, though I am happy with what I have written. For instance, one character is very stressed by the people around them. They blow there lid a bit at one point, but I have not given any examples of them being riled up before hand, is this a big problem?

2. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

I would say just keep writing until you get to the end. Then go back and worry about character development in what you have already written. It easier to change it after the whole story has played out, then to keep going back and editing while in the creative process.

3. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

As long as your writing its not a problem where you write, or what order.

I've written the ending of my novel before i finished the first chapter.

4. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

It could be that the story was not meant to be a full-length novel, too. Just because you want it to be a novel doesn't mean it always will be. Relax, get it done, and then see if there is anything you can do to expand it.

5. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

You might need to examine who the characters are before describing their reactions to various things.

For the angry character perhaps you could show a moment from their past where anger helped them cope with or overcome a previous problem.

I don't know how you write but I try to remember that the characters had a "life" before the story starts and they will (for the most part) have one once it ends.

6. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

Go go go! Keep writing and don't stop til you get a cramp, then get some Icy Hot.

Your first draft is allowed to be imperfect, that's why God invented revisions!

Keep writing while it's fresh, you have character conflicts, which is a must, and it sounds like your satory is practically writing itself; that is a very rare and awesome thing.

You can always add a preceding chapter afterwards, or tell a story in non-chronological order. Quentin Tarantino does it ALL the damn time!:rolleyes:

7. Gheala_InFlacari

Gheala_InFlacari New Member

It's okay, as long as it's still a rough draft and it's also okay if you've started from the middle. Just make sure you do know how it starts, so the middle wouldn't conflict with the begenning later and it might get harder to edit.
    About the characters developing faster than they should: Just write on, keep the plot going and finish the rough draft. You can slow it down and create more events, when you start to edit. For now, just write. You won't be publishing it, right after finishing the draft.

8. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

It's the rewriting that counts so don't allow your doubts hinder your progress. Keep your notes up to date to ensure you're aware of the path you're taking and the dynamic that develops along the way. This will help against losing sight of where you've been if you're skipping from one block to another. Good luck with it.

9. murphcas

murphcas New Member

Just write the whole story out then go back and fix whatever you see needs to be fixed. You can lengthen the beginning if you wish so it doesn't seem like it's moving super fast. I had the same problem and one of my friends helped me fix it a little. It'll still need work after I'm done of course, but I need to finish writing it first.