Tags:
  1. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

Skipping a scene

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by The Piper, Mar 20, 2018.

Hi everyone,

In my latest project, I've reached a point where the MC is picked up by his mysterious new boss, in a mysterious car, on the way to his first mysterious assignment. He's been living a little rough and they stop on the way, outside a barber's shop - she hands him a tenner and tells him to go in and get himself cleaned up. This scene was mainly meant to be a bridge between one half of the car journey and the other (neither scene very long, but both involve discussing the job).

The problem is this: I tried to write a scene for the actual haircut and my God did it end up being boring. By making it more interesting, though, I run the risk of allowing the reader to read too much into it, when it literally is just a haircut.

What I'd like to do is skip right to the end of that scene, but are we jumping back to the car journey too fast? Or is the idea of there being a break in-between enough?

This might seem like a bit of a weird one, but if anyone's got any ideas I'd love to hear them.

jannert likes this.
  2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Sounds fine to skip it. I would reference the haircut in the opening paragraph of the next scene (the second half of the car journey) - perhaps have the boss comment on it, or have your MC think how much easier it is to talk to her when he doesn't look like a homeless person. But no need to write out a scene unless it contributes to the plot or characterisation in some way.

jannert likes this.
  3. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

You could skip or skim it. Stephen King likes to, on occasion, skim his non-important scenes with simple sentences that convey something happened, but doesn't go into detail.

4. Alastair Woodcock

Alastair Woodcock Active Member

No problem in just skipping the scene in a sentence or two, however... logically if your MC is going to have a haircut, due to him having lived rough, it sounds like he might need a change of clothes too. The job, it would appear, requires it. So this 'break' in the journey could be expanded upon, to explore how the MC changes his appearance and thus looks like a new person (when he looks himself up and down in a mirror perhaps?). If he looks like a new person, he may feel like a new person. A new outlook on life, a greater confidence for the 'mysterious' mission(s) ahead? That way you can 'break up' what may be a long passage (about the journey) with a sense of renewal for the MC. Explore his thoughts at this juncture, and give the reader an idea of a renewed sense of purpose for him. Just an idea.

Better than spending a paragraph describing a haircut in excruciating detail, at least.

'His scissors cut an inch off Tom's fringe. A scruffy fringe that had begun to reek of engine oil. Tom didn't despair over its demise.....etc etc'

5. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

Thanks everyone for responding to this, it's been very encouraging. I've written the new chapter with a paragraph about him walking out of the barber's, his reaction seeing it in the mirror etc etc. Also added a little in there about his boss giving him a suit to change into, having him be a skittle comfortable but realise it doesn't look that bad, and so on... Then back into the car journey, a couple of awkward shifts in his seat as he gets used to the new clothes. All stndard stuff. Thanks again, everyone!

Piper

jannert likes this.