1. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

Retelling a Fairytale

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by tristan.n, Feb 25, 2011.

I know this has been done over and over again, but I still want to try it. I want to put a twist on an old fairytale, but I can't choose which one. I like the story about the twelve princesses and who doesn't love Beauty and the Beast? I know for sure the latter has been made over and over again, so I'm not sure I could put an interesting twist on it that hasn't already been done. The new movie that's coming out, Red Riding Hood or something, got me thinking about that story as well. I haven't seen it (is it even out yet?) but that's kind of what sparked this interest.
    I've looked through the Grimm stories, Andersen's tales, and even Aesop's fables, but I just can't decide which story to do.
    So now I'm taking a vote. lol What's your favorite fairytale (and why, if you want to answer)?

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I like the one of the statue of the prince and the sparrow (the statue of the prince gives away all the gold and jewels on him). Can't remember what it is called but it makes me sob everytime.

3. AxleMAshcraft

AxleMAshcraft New Member

1) So you know how ring around the rosie is about the bubonic plauge right? Maybe do something based off that? It's not really a fairy tale but it would be pretty cool.
    2)what about the kid in the bean stock and the giant. Im not sure how you would write that, but if you made it super gothic horror kinda thing it would be sooo cool.
    3) the boy who cried wolf. except the "wolf" is like a slang term for some kind of person who is going to kill them all ect. ect.

also, maybe look into fairy tales in other languages, that could be really awesome.

4. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

It was written by Oscar Wilde, so probably best not to re-write that - it's almost modern, and not part of the general mess of folk knowledge that real fairy tales are.

That said, I love Oscar Wilde to bits and that story makes me weep when I read it. :) This post may be in defence of the story, because I don't want anyone to wreck the work of art... He he.

I'm studying fairy tales for my dissertation, have read about a thousand over the last couple of months, and never want to look at them again. However, you could do what I'm doing for my project - use new characters, a different setting, and just use fairytale elements. Think of the archetype characters, typical happenings, etc, and just play off that. If in doubt, make whatever you just had happen once, happen 3 times. Works like a charm. :D

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I'd recommend you go for one of the not-as-famous ones. Cinderella, Snow White and Red Riding Hood have been overdone to death, but what about something like Thumbalina?

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

OK found it Happy Prince was published in 1888 - it's out of copyright and could be used. Has also been included in fairy tale books for 30 years at least, it is in mine and is in my daughter's. Admittedly it is in hers because I specifically looked for it ;)

There is no reason why it can't be used it might be a good idea to look at some of the more modern fairy tales for ideas.

Bloduedd is my second favourite (A welsh tale connected to the Arthurian Legends). Although lack of happy ending probably makes it not a fairy tale.

I like Mallory's suggestion Thumbelina is lovely. The Emperor's new clothes would be fun.

7. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I would choose one that is less well-known.

I always loved 'The Seven Ravens' growing up.

8. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

Thanks for the awesome ideas, guys! :)

9. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Maybe consider fairy tales from other countries, like China, Russia, or others.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

^ That's a good idea.

Another important thing to consider is that if you follow the fairy tale too closely or make the parallels too obvious, the readers will be able to predict exactly who will die, who will get with who at the end, etc. Spice it up a bit.

11. lemurkat

lemurkat New Member

I always liked the Tinderbox one - mainly because the dogs freaked me out!

12. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

There's a couple of the Grimm stories that I found disturbing.

I think there was one about a girl without hands, or a girl without feet. Something like that. I felt so uncomfortable reading it. I think I may still feel the same if I read it today. Association...

13. daydreams

daydreams Member

Wikipedia has a list of fairytales with tales from around the world.