1. Nicki_G

Nicki_G Member

Novel How do you know?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Nicki_G, Oct 23, 2011.

How do you know that others will enjoy your work as much as you do? I hate to feel that I'm writing a novel that only I will read. However, I'm also the type that won't let others read it until I'm satisfied with it...thoughts?

Nicki_G :confused:

2. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I think all a writer can focus on is writing a story he himself would have liked to read, a story he feel strongly about, and writing it as well as he possibly can. Don't let those kind of fears ruin your work. No one can predict how the public is going to react to it, at least not without writing on some kind of well-proven formula, but that sound very boring and little creative to me. Risk is a part of the work of all artists. I think you need some deeper reason to write it than "just" to make it the next bestseller, write it because you have to, because it won't leave you alone until you put it on paper, because the story itself is important enough for you to take that risk.

3. Dryriver

Dryriver New Member

I think that all of us share this problem.

When we write, we put ourselves in the shoes of the audience and try to craft something that reads well, and engages intellectually or emotionally, or - for lack of a better word - "feels right".

In fact, I don't think that you can write an engaging book without making yourself "feel" that you are writing an engaging book.

There are two ways to test whether a book actually reads as well as you think you it did when you wrote it.

1. Give sample chapters to people who have never seen the material before, and listen to their feedback.

2. Put your novel in a drawer for a long time - a few months - until you yourself have forgotten half the details and plot points in the novel. Then give it a fresh read from zero.

There two things I can guarantee you:

Choosing 1. from above can lead to feedback that is infuriating. People who read your work may find passages you slaved over for weeks plain "boring" or "unengaging".

Choosing 2. from above will almost certainly cause you to heavily edit or rewrite what you wrote originally, no matter how good it seemed to you then.

Good luck with your further writing.

4. Nicki_G

Nicki_G Member

It's not that I'm writing just to be successful, I write because I need to share my story; even if I'm only sharing it with the pencil and paper I write it with. I just worry that my utensils will be the only ones to enjoy it. That's all. Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it greatly :)

5. Nicki_G

Nicki_G Member

Thanks. This makes me feel better...in a sense. lol. I will definitely give those suggestions a try :)

6. Tesoro

I wasn't speaking about YOU, I was using that word in a general sense. And in that case you seem to be on the right track :) what i meant was that i don't think there's a way you can "be sure of" it,before letting people read it= in the writing-phase. it's always a risk, but if you believe in it I think you'll find it's worth it.

7. Tesoro

double post

8. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

For me it was definitely that ineffable impetus to just get it out on paper or screen in this case; have a great adventure for my own amusement at first, but then as I got tens of thousands of words in it, the notion struck me that this is big, consequential, and maybe even good, so I got some positive and negative feedback from anonymous postings and both encouraged me to continue, to actually submit what I have so far to a publishing house. It is a huge risk to openly appeal with your story, but I felt confident, built up enough that I could take the chance. If nothing comes of it, it will suck, but I'll definitely internalize the feedback and send it along to the next query.

9. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Writing a good book starts with you and how you feel about the book. It would be very difficult to write a compelling story if you, yourself, are not interested. So I would stop worrying about what others think, because as long as you are diggin' it, that is where it needs to be. Worry after it is finished.

10. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Active Member

Because 19 out of a 20 bèta-readers beg me to finish the sequel so they can read it? :D

11. Blue Night

Blue Night Active Member

At Nicki_G. I like your post. I feel the same way.
    Writing is a part of your soul.
    Some people say, throw it out there and see what happens?
    No. I can’t do that.
    If it’s not ready for you, it’s not ready for the world.
    Your post is so true.
    Sometimes the story is written but isn’t finished. And it can be hard to read numerous chapters over and over. But you will. And you know what? When the day comes and you put that last word down, you’re finally going to be able to tell yourself: I nailed it.
    I can’t wait to read it.

12. Nicki_G

Nicki_G Member

I hope that's how it really goes. Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts. I really appreciate them and I feel much better than I did before :)

Nicki_G

13. shyxter

shyxter New Member

Hi Nicki. Writers share the same sentiments; of being scared and unsure of what others think of our work. But I strongly agree with Tesoro; believe in what you do and you will surely find its worth. Do your best and believe in yourself. And the important thing is to also have fun while writing :) Once you're done, be open and ready for other people's feedback as this will help improve your story. Good luck! You can definitely do this.

Have faith http://www.musesland.com/attitudes-inspiration/believe-in-yourself-28