1. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Self publishing prices

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Thanshin, Sep 7, 2010.

I have means to publish if I'm ever happy enough with something I write but ,out of pure curiosity, I'd like to know about how expensive it is to publish about a hundred copies in a simple 200 pages soft covered edition.

[Edit: A little search tells me the prices must be around 5$ a book, which seems reasonable.

Now I wonder how many people actually self publish their texts, just to have them in paper form and give them to friends or whatever.]

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This post by Dean Sault (NaCl) may give you a notion of what you are up against: https://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?p=187009#post187009. There are quite a few posts by him about the self-publisshing experience. He is one of the few who has done so successfully (i.e. actually broke even in the long run), but even he admits it is not an easy path, and you have to be prepared to invest a lot of time as well as money.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

From everything I've heard from people, it's really best overall to go with a traditional publisher. They don't make you do all the extra work with marketing and proper editing and stuff. Also, they pay you, not the other way around.
    Forcing yourself to write well enough to earn acceptance from a traditional publisher will also ensure that the writing is entertaining enough to please readers. Sure, some lame books are published while good books sometimes struggle, but if you're truly good enough you'll be accepted sooner or later.

Just my two cents -- not trying to shove my opinion down your throat.

Good luck either way. :D

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

But then you do get the odd success like Beatrix Potter or Janey Louise Jones. I think Maddy Rose maybe self published as well.

Part of me likes the idea that I get to keep my novel in tact I can use digital blasphemy artwork for the cover etc- I can keep the title and character names etc with no pressure to change. You have to write better though and be able to edit your own work. The UK Writers and Artists yearbook has a really good section on self publishing might be worth checking out the website for advice. The marketing ideas and what is involved won't change much.

Local authors here have been self publishing since Isaac Forsyth set up in the town in the early 1800s, and many make a reasonable living because people are willing to support them. Certainly here the local libraries are happy to support local authors no matter who publishes them. Certainly this side of Atlantic there seems to a change for the author to be seen as a marketable asset no matter who you go with. Some of the smaller traditional publishers want you to be actively involved with the marketing your book.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've done it with the six collections of my works that i have printed to give away... i use Gorham Printing in Centralia, WA and am extremely happy with both their work and their pricing... and their speed!...

i'd strongly recommend them to anyone wanting a high-quality book and a 'family' of caring, helpful folks to work with in turning it out...

for 100 copies of a 5.5" x 8.5" digital printed softcover, the cost is only $4.50 per book...

here's their link:www.gorhamprinting.com
    email: info@gorhamprinting.com

[cog... please allow the links to remain, as this isn't a personal 'ad'/tout, but only asked-for info]

6. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Yes, I was just imagining printing a book to give to friends. I'm not nearly good enough to write anything that would sell and, losing most of my days at work, I don't think I'll ever be. Still, I think I'd like to have my words written in paper and with a pretty cover, just to put those in my friends shelves.

And 5$ a book is less than I expected, so now I have a new reason to put together a couple hundred thousand words.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

at 200 pages, gorham's cost per book is down to $3 and change...

let me know if you need any help getting the ms into shape for sending to the printer...

hugs, m

8. cmcpress

cmcpress New Member

The market has changed massively over the last 3 years. I went to a big publishing convention in London in 2009 and the atmosphere around publishers was very much doom and gloom.

In many, many ways the Publishing industry is going the way of the Record industry -Moves to 360 deals with Managers (read agents) - small record labels and as of yet, an unclear way of turning profit on the actual product bar having large catalogues and making money on the longtail.

The large publishers are not accepting unsolicited submissions. It has to come through an agent.

Agents themselves are waking up to being able to do direct deals with Amazon and Apple instead of having to go through publishers. Very recently one of the big London agents threatened to cut publishers out and do direct distribution deals (In essence this was actually just a play to get a higher % out of publishers - but it paid off).

In the days of eBooks (regardless of your opinion of them) the only thing a publisher can supply now is marketing muscle. Advances are miniscule or non-existant. The deals themselves are favouring % of sales (and small ones at that) only rather than any payment upfront.

This may not quite be the present but it is certainly the near future.

9. izanobu

izanobu New Member

I would advise that if you're serious about self-publishing that you put it up as an e-book through places like Amazon and Smashwords first. You can also make hard copies available on Amazon through Createspace (for 39 dollars you get their premium service, which is worth it from what I've read due to the royalty rates and distribution etc).

I'd strongly advise reading about others who have done the same thing first, however. JA Konrath's blog "A Newbie's Guide to Publishing" has some good information (and more self-pubbed authors post in the comments, so be sure to read those as well).

If you're set on doing it this way, just educate yourself and watch out for scams :) You'll need a clean manuscript/good book, low price point, good cover, and good blurb.
    Good luck. It shouldn't cost much if you do it right. Just do your research :)

(and for the love of God... stay away from places like Publish America etc. )