1. Ghost.

Ghost. New Member

Good reads.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Ghost., Nov 14, 2011.

So what books do you think fit into the category of a 'Good read?'. I mean one which left you feeling happy or sad or astonished at the levels of complexity or emotion?

2. art

art Contributor Contributor

If I read fiction it tends to be meta-fiction or certainly stuff that is a little tricksy. A 'good read', for me, is something perhaps rather more conventional - with characters of flesh and blood - which is immersive and suceeds because it does the conventional things excellently.

Isaac Bashevis Singer's, Shadows on the Hudson is the finest 'good read' I've read in the last fifteen years.

3. mummymunt

mummymunt New Member

The Man Who Turned Into Himself by David Ambrose. One of only a few books that made my jaw actually drop, and more than once. A couple of his books did that for me, a thoroughly enjoyable experience!
    What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson. I couldn't stop reading it but at the same time I wanted it to never end.
    The Panic Hand by Jonathan Carroll. A book of short stories like nothing I'd ever read before (at that time). Loved it.
    I've been reading like a maniac the past couple of months and so many of the books have been awesome (to me, at least). My 'to read' pile gets bigger and bigger by the day.

4. lornamarie

lornamarie New Member

i really enjoyed The Brutal Art by Jesse Kellerman, i thought the plot was pretty intense.

oh, & The Gargoyle, by Andrew Davidson - also pretty intense story.

5. Devrokon

Devrokon New Member

Is it as good as the Robin Williams movie? Or is it better?