1. Wickedstorm

Wickedstorm New Member

Spelling of a word that isn't in the dictionary

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Wickedstorm, Nov 27, 2012.

Alright so I am working and striving really hard to make sure that my spelling my novel is as close to spot on as possible. I am using a word that is a modern almost slang like word. I have looked up the use of the of the beginning word and it's not considered a prefix but it does come with other words as examples. The first word is Mini the dictionary sites Miniskirt, and Minicomputer so I assume that the following will be correct as well. Miniorgasm.

Now if this is consider inappropriate delete away. But I am using it in way that though it referring to something sexual itself is not.

If not the other options is Mini with a space or Mini with a hyphen. Any help is appreciated. I understand if this post gets deleted.

2. popsprocket

popsprocket Member

Mini with a space or with a hyphen is how I would word it. Probably with a hyphen since you want to associate the two words closely.

It's true that mini itself isn't a prefix, but that doesn't mean it can just be tagged onto the front of a word. Besides which, saying 'miniskirt' refers to a completely different concept than a 'mini skirt'.

3. Wickedstorm

Wickedstorm New Member

Mini means something small or shortened.
    noun
    1.miniskirt.
    2.a minicomputer.
    3.anything of a small, reduced, or miniature size.

adjective
    4.of the length of a miniskirt.

a combining form with the meanings “of a small or reduced size in comparison with others of its kind” ( minicalculator; minicar; minigun ); “limited in scope, intensity, or duration” ( miniboom; minicourse; minirecession ); (of clothing) “short, not reaching the knee” ( minidress; miniskirt ).

The usage here for the word I am trying to figure out is similar to Miniboom, minicourse, minirecession. So I am not sure if it works. I need something more concrete before I finalize my choice.

4. geniegirl027

geniegirl027 New Member

If you are the author and you make a word up, if it does not exist, can't any spelling be used?... I don't know if this is really a word.. but it would seem to me you could do what you want with your novel. =)

5. Wickedstorm

Wickedstorm New Member

This true, but I am trying to get as close to an accurate spelling as possible.

6. popsprocket

popsprocket Member

I understand what you want to accomplish, but there's no general consensus on hyphenation. There're loose rules, but in most cases the use of a hyphen is only done to make something a mite clearer than it was before.

In this instance, joining mini and orgasm uses mini in its combining form, which utilises a hyphen. Otherwise, you could look at it from the perspective of creating a compound word out of an adjective and a noun - which still uses a hyphen.

You could still argue that it's not necessary since it's just an [adjective] [noun] clause, but if you want to create a single clause out of the two, then a hyphen will give you the most clarity.

7. Wickedstorm

Wickedstorm New Member

See now that is more the concrete I needed. Hyphen it is!

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a professional editor and advise using the hyphen...

9. Wickedstorm

Wickedstorm New Member

Thank you Mammamaia the Hyphen has been embraced in this instance. I haven't run into any other words I am not sure of yet, but I am pretty sure I will come across some as I am writing really heavily for the next 28 days. :-D