1. staceylouise

staceylouise Active Member

so, how do you develop your ideas?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by staceylouise, Feb 16, 2014.

Sorry if this is a repeated question guys but I was just curious as to how you transfer your ideas to paper and how you develop them? I know everyone has their own way, we aren't all the same. For me - this may sound a bit childlike,like going back to school, but I brainstorm. I brainstorm my ideas down onto paper, with either my main character, or my main plot idea, as the middle, working out to other need to be mentioned characters/sub characters, how the plot develops, what happens, why and how. Does anyone else do it this way? I hope I'm not the only one!!! :)

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

My writing is like my cooking. Sometimes there are ingredients up in the cupboard that stay there for a long time, but I just can't throw them away. Other things I take out and start to make something, but then realize I'm missing an ingredient, so back in the cupboard they go. Sometimes I manage to get all the ingredients together, but I'm just too lazy so I order pizza. But then there are magical days when the cooker is steaming and the pots are boiling and everything smells yummy and like a meal might actually come together for once. I get my friends (cool forum members) to taste this and that sauce to be sure it's not too salty or spicy or too bland. I actually really like participation in that fashion, though I know some cooks who don't want another soul even looking at the kitchen when they're in there.
    [​IMG]

3. staceylouise

Sounds like your pot is roasting!!!! Maybe I could come for dinner some day?!!! :) no really, it sounds like an idea , a way of making it work for you, which is good. I'm one of those kept to the chest chefs though, the one you mention on the end. I sometimes like to test the water - just at toes lenght, but I don't like giving much away.

4. Wreybies

I think it also depends on where I am in the story. Is it a really fragmented part that just isn't linking up well with what needs to come next, or is it a brilliant part that makes you swear some angelic hand was guiding yours while writing it. I don't show the brilliant bits, but I'm more than happy to get help with the bits that just aren't coming together.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

When I get an idea (which usually involves only a character and a setting), I just dive in and start writing. I have no plot in mind, usually - I just begin writing a scene or two involving my character. This forces me to think pretty hard about who he is and what his situation is. New characters emerge as I'm writing these scenes. Pretty soon, a basic plot forms in my head and I can begin writing properly. Note that the little scenes I start with don't usually end up in the final story. They're just there to get my juices flowing.

6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I do spider diagrams and sometimes bullet points and just let it grow. 99% of these ideas don't stick afterwards, but sometimes there're a few details that seem just right and I keep those and the next time I start a brand new diagram, I include those bits but otherwise different things are happening :)

So I guess that's brainstorming right? :D

Oh and I also write odd scenes :)

7. staceylouise

Deffo brainstorming mckk!!! Liking the likeness we share there ;)

Mckk likes this.
  8. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Oh, that is such an interesting question, but hard to answer. I'm not really sure. I'm an outliner, so before I can do any writing I need to know where the story is going. Who's in it, why, what they want, how it's going to end etc etc. I can't seem to think very clearly while sitting at the computer with my document open, so I need to do that before I start. As for the rest... I do a lot of brainstorming too, actually, but it's difficult to explain how. I'm afraid this was not very helpful, lol.

9. Wreybies

I'm sooooo happy to see someone else say this. This is also an important part of my process, Min. There will be "warm up pages" that are not to be confused with "must keep pages".

Andrae Smith and minstrel like this.
  10. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Recently I started experimenting with brainstorming and outlining (as I've said here before, I'm a pantser, not a planner). I found it incredibly difficult. It's almost like I can't think about my own story unless I'm actually writing the text of it. Anything else seems too abstract. Making outlines and character sheets and all that doesn't just seem to waste time for me, it's actually far harder than writing. It's boring. It's like studying music theory when all you really want to do is sing.

I recognize that my process is inefficient and sometimes very wasteful, but it's satisfying and fulfilling in a way that outlining can never be. If I were forced to outline every story before I wrote it, I'd probably give up writing entirely - outlining is such a cold, clinical, bloodless task.

I'm back to pantsing. :)

11. Passero

Passero Member

I just read about an exercise to help develop your plot/characters which I actually find very useful.

You start by writing a description of your character his/her workplace/room/whatever.
    After that you write down a list of 5 precious items owned by that character.
    By doing this, you should also think about why these items are precious.

I did this with a character I had in mind but had no real story and by just doing this exercise, I got lots of ideas. By doing this, I even got back story and I knew where my character needed to go.

Foxe and Mckk like this.
  12. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I just sit down and write. My only requirement is that what I write remains true to what has already happened.

13. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

I brainstorm in different ways.

Sometimes, I develop ideas while running. When I return home, I quickly write them down if I have time.

Other times I just write ideas down in bullet points or messy paragraphs. Then, I add to it before and after what I previously wrote.

14. live2write

live2write Senior Member

I dream. My imagination is my playground.

15. staceylouise

Renee j I can totally agree with you as that's exactly what I do!!! I should carry a note book around with me but I don't then get hit by something I must write down, or a character development or one of them wants to speak up - and I have to get it down fast. Having the 3 kids on the go if I'm at my parents too I just can't get it down because it looks like I'm not paying attention to the kids. I want to do what I enjoy. I hope to make it out there somehow in form of publication or ebook (though I have no idea how to do covers or convert text from my chromebook on that latter option), but potentially a better income and life for my children. I don't expect to be rich atall but at least being out there will be a start and will make my kids proud if nothing else :) x

16. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

My mind. I'm not so good with transferring the ideas entirely to paper. They make much less sense out here in the real world with physics and logic

17. Mckk

That sounds like fun. I think I'll do that!! :D I love character backstories. It's why I'm beginning to wonder if I'm in the right genre (fantasy) when I'm really much more keen on character development, relationships and drama.

18. staceylouise

I read your post passer and mckk and i've heard of this method- infact one of the exercises which I had to do as part of my course, but I found this hard and I didn't like doing this. I just couldn't relate or open up , or get my character going atall :( happy it works for you guys though and I know it is an exercise for just a quick write or mental block.

19. Passero

Passero Member

There's so much you can do to develop your ideas, plot, or characters.

I also like writing about anything, even if it doesn't contribute to the actual story, it makes my mind think and in the end it will contribute to back story.
    For example you can always write journal entries in the voice of your characters. This really helps developing their unique voice, how they think and process events.

I also like describing the setting. Sometimes when I have an undeveloped idea I just start writing about the setting.

The more you write, even if it's bad, the more your brain will start making connections and eventually the light-bulb will start flashing.

20. Ekriven

Ekriven New Member

I use complex brainstorming. Like scenes and flashes about several thoughts that are not connected, until I see what can connect most of them and it's to my liking. Then, whirpools of images and thoughts about certain place, plot, character... Took me 20 A4 small-written pages to make my current project into motion and it's still expanding.

21. Mckk

Yeah it's just for inspiration I think, it's a prompt, that's all :) You need to find interesting prompts for you! Looking through fantasy pictures usually gets my juices running - very good for coming up with an interesting premise!

22. bakinpowder

bakinpowder Member

I don't. I have some level of inner reflection, and that's a bout it.

23. KatieValino

KatieValino Member

I do not know if you guys do the same, but i have like a whole folder (covered in worm stickers) of writing ideas and i have added to it for so many years that each one is a bloated, fragmented mess with some logical pieces in between. I find it helps to organise my work and brain :D