1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

So sad, Joan Rivers died

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GingerCoffee, Sep 4, 2014.

I suppose she went out the easy way, just lapse into unconsciousness and go.

I am going to miss the Fashion Police, no one can take her place on that show.

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh and matwoolf like this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Um... are you sure? There was a string of hoax reports earlier this week.

3. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Yahoo! is reporting it.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Ok. Just saw it too. :( She was many things, amongst them a fierce ally to the LGBT community.

GingerCoffee and sunsplash like this.
  5. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

I just read about it on NBC News online too.
    Another great loss for comedy. She had a certain caustic, acerbic wit.

6. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Now her and Johnny Carson can hook up again in Heaven.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I must admit, I find it hard to say I liked her very much. It is a shame when a human being dies, but considering some of her recent comments, I'm sure some people will forgive me if I'm not exactly moved to tears by this story.

teeekilicious18 likes this.
  8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Her brand of humor may not have been to everyone's taste, but she never told those jokes with any intent of them being true insults. Those who knew her truly saw she was a kind caring person in reality. The rest was just jokes and she made as much fun of herself as she made of other people.

9. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

A brave comedic talent. A feminist, for sure. :)

10. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

I'm a fan of controversial humor. I love it. Some people would be made sick from what I laugh at, yet I laugh anyway.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/reflecting-joan-rivers-rant-israel-gaza-conflict-palestinians-deserve-be-dead-1464071

I don't laugh about death. Well, at least not fresh death. I do not laugh about suicide or the death of anyone in the last two decades. But I'll laugh at death (since sometimes you need to make a joke out of a horrible situation). But saying that Palestinians DESERVE to be dead?

I don't want to start a debate on that (btw I was born Jewish, converted to agnostic-cism). But that's messed up, even by my standards.

That's sick and isn't really humor in any way. Rest in Peace because I wish ill on no one.

11. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

Later in that article, it also showed Joan Rivers making a Holocaust joke, saying, "The last time a German looked this hot was when they were pushing Jews into the ovens."

Yikes.

matwoolf likes this.
  12. Ulramar

I giggled, I'll admit. She's what people would call a Zionist (coming from the comments at the bottom). It's making fun of your heritage. I won't post some of the jokes I'd say to friends of mine that'd be comfortable with it, but I've laughed and told holocaust jokes. I'm a German Jew! A contradiction! I can get away with it and everyone laughs because it's funny and I, the only Jew of the group, won't take offense from it.

But saying "they deserved to die" isn't humor. I wouldn't say anything like that. Not in a million years. That's a horrible horrible statement that shouldn't have been said. And I am in multiple groups that LOVE controversial humor. When I say that Joan Rivers said that I tossed it out to them and they all said "too far."

So yeah, not humor.

13. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

Nobody is perfect. Sometimes you have say that "She/He is no saint." In this case though she did much more good in her life and it is unclear how well thought those ideas about Palestinians were.

teeekilicious18 likes this.
  14. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Any evidence that comment was intended as a joke?

15. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

Holocaust jokes are not making fun of Jewish culture; they are making fun of genocide. Being Jewish has no relation to one's ability to "get away with" Holocaust jokes since they don't concern religion. Even if it was about religion, though, being a member of a group does not give anyone a right to say anything they want concerning that group because no one person can speak for that entire group.

I don't hold any false notions that I can objectively determine whether a specific joke is in good or bad taste. Having personally known a Holocaust survivor who lost loved ones in it, I can only shudder about making light of such a situation that is very real to them and still very fresh in their minds.

16. Ulramar

It's what some call "Controversial humor." It most certainly is in bad taste and is not good at all. Some enjoy it (sadly myself) and others don't. At least how I feel about it is that you say it with people who are comfortable with it. As I said, I only do it with my close friends. Sometimes they laugh sometimes not. But Joan Rivers said it to EVERYONE and that's not good. Some people may have family members who are survivors or are survivors themselves and to hear that joke must suck.

17. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

She meant to say "Hamas" instead of "Palestinian." They posted her related tweet at the bottom of the article.

It's easy to get irritated when someone's pestering you with a camera. She was old when that happened, and probably tired from travel too.

Here are some Joan Rivers quotes I liked:

KaTrian and GingerCoffee like this.
  18. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Very sad, indeed. She had such a cutting sense of humor. :( Granted, she was starting to look a little scary, but I guess not everyone is lucky enough to age like Helen Mirren.

19. teeekilicious18

teeekilicious18 Member

Yep, very sad day indeed. I woke up reading the news and bawling my eyes out. It was unbelievable how she died last Thursday. I watched her on Fashion Police and others, she's always there to not make my day boring. My mum was and always will be a huge fan, but she didn't know about the news first, I broke the news to her couple of days later and my mum went speechless and I swear I thought I saw mum's tears for the first time when she watched her on E, "celebrating an icon." We're Joan Rangers! I miss her SO much. I still can't grasp this. I love the way Joan Rivers put families first so because of her I felt like I should fix my family issues. She's all about giving back. Fashion Police wouldn't be the same without her. I am chocking right now, chocking. Here I am trying to write, but my mind went blank with new changes distracting me including, thinking bout Joan Rivers. I don't know how can we watch Fashion Police. I am heart broken. Crying as I typed this. I thank mum for introducing her to me. Joan Rivers, may you rest in peace with Robin Williams. :meh::oops::dry:

"if you don't give back...YOU'RE A FOOL, I don't know who you are. We're lucky. We're lucky to have talent, we're lucky to be able to give back...." - Joan Rivers

"Life's a b!tch" - Joan Rivers

I could list more.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014