1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Software Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Daniel, Mar 24, 2008.

We've recently updated our forum software to the newest, latest version. This new version gives us several new features. As with any update, it's very possible that something didn't go as expected. If you notice anything not working as expected, a bug, a missing image, or anything out of the ordinary, I ask that you mention it here. Any issues you have that you think are a result of this upgrade may be reported and discussed in this thread. (Some of the features might not be immediately obvious because I still need to make changes on my end, namely with the forum templates.)

The new features:

So, you're wondering what new features this update brings? It brings several. I'm only going to point out the most obvious; the smaller ones I'll let you discover for yourself.

Improved Profile System - The user profile pages have been completely redesigned. Previously they were very simple and didn't really do much. Now they look better and show an "about me" section, friends, an image album, visitor messages, and more. You can now also customize the way your profile looks by changing colors, images, and editing the background and look of your profile. On the new profiles, each user now has visitor messaging. This is similar to the myspace comment system or the facebook wall. My intent isn't to turn us into another myspace like site, but this messaging system will hopefully improve communication between users, especially when refering to more trivial matters or matters that relate to a specific user (for example, instead of making a thread to wish someone a happy birthday, you can leave them a public message on their profile). In addition to this, we now have a "friend" system. Previously we'e only had "buddies" in which you can keep track of users. Now we have a friend list, which is basically the same thing as buddies except when users reciprocate. So if I and Cogito both add each other as buddies, we become friends. As friends, users get additional permissions when dealing with whichever user.

Image Galleries - Users now have the option to upload images to their own image galleries. Previously, you only had the ability to upload an avatar and a profile picture. Now you can create your own personal albums and upload several images to them.

Thread Tags - each thread now has the ability to have tags added to it. This includes both new and existing threads. Thread tags are a word or two that describe what the thread is about. This helps show what's popular, aids in searches, and generally helps "categorize" the site. When viewing the search page, you should now have the option to search tags, which will display then display all threads with tags that you searched for.

As I mentioned above, these features are only a few of many additions. You're bound to notice many more smaller features as time goes by. We'll also be making some addition changes in the next few weeks.

Feel free to discuss or post any related questions in this thread.

2. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Very cool!

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Oooh. THe new profile system and the image gallery sounds very nice.

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I've been messing around with the new features, and I do notice some missing images (We get the blank white space with a red x)

Here's a link to my public profile so you can see: https://www.writingforums.org/member.php?u=2389

The edit icons in the 'about me' section are also missing.

5. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

lordofhats always has a way of making cool things sound less cooler. sounds nice worth checking out.

6. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Oh wow, when you add someone as a friend they have a + sign after their name! :eek::)

7. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Cool! I'll think this will be spiffy.

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

The updates look really good but I got really lost with them too :p lol

But it is great to see so many new additions to the forum. The new USERCP looks great and I'm sure in time (and with help) I'll get the hang of it all :p

9. Bluemouth

Icons are missing all over the place in the profile editor. Upload Picture is the only one I remember but there are many others.

10. Torana

The msn, yahoo, etc. icons are also a little funny.

11. Torana

I am also finding it hard to post and edit posts as well. I have to reload the page to see if the posts are being made and I thus far have not been able to edit any of my posts.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I know I will still post Happy Birthday threads in the Lounge. Somehow that still seems more fitting to me than just a quiet little Happy Birthday to their profile.

But overall, sounds good.

13. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Umm...the lounge is stretching way beyond the normal on my page.
    Oh, are there problems to speak of or what!

14. Daniel

Should be fixed.

I couldn't find any by just browsing around. I'll reupload related images, but if it continues, let me know.

Should be fixed as well.

You can't edit any posts whatsoever, or only new ones, or only old ones? Is it just loading slow? Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Totally cool. Just an example, though perhaps not the best one I could have come up with.

Yikes. You speak the truth. Should be fixed now.

Thanks guys!

15. Torana

even after an hour of waiting, I am still unable to edit my posts, new and old. Makes it a little hard with the poetry contest...other wise I would have a problem with it really. Could just be me experiencing this though....I'll talk to Cogito.

16. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

yeah some icons are missing, most notably the IM icons and also the lounge tends to expand itself leaving this huge space between chatbox and the rest, dont know if that's just my computer

17. Torana

I've not had the problems with the lounge myself. Just the loading problems with posting and editing threads and replies. I think this could possibly be a problem with my own server though....which will be painful if it is.

18. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i haven't been having any loading or editing probs, t... so it's probably just your 'puter... m

just edited this with no prob at all...

19. Daniel

The icons should be back and the lounge stretch problem should be gone (as of over 24 hours ago). Try clearing your cookies.

I think it probably is your computer, though I don't know why it'd only start after this upgrade. But since no one else seems to be experiencing it, I assume it's on your end.

20. Torana

I am going to get someone to come and take a look at my system. It is strange though, this is the only site I am having problems with and it only started with the upgrades as well. Very strange. I'll sort it out one way or the other. Might try another computer and see what happens. Could just be my laptop, in which case....I shall smash it to pieces and get a new one :p

21. Bluemouth

Or you could sell it. But if you're really caring - donate it to those in need. :)

22. Torana

You know Bluemouth, that is a really good idea.

I will do that. Buy myself a new laptop and donate this one or possibly sell it and donate the money to a charity. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will do that. But make sure it hasn't any problems first. I don't want to donate something that is faulty. That would be disgraceful.

23. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've always given away my 'old' ones, when i've upgraded and it's a nice feeling to know you've enabled someone who could never afford to get one on their own to enjoy the blessings [and curses] of the computer age...

24. Cogito

Back to the topic, The icon for thread tags (images/wf/misc/tag.png) in the thread list view is not showing properly.

25. Cogito

On the user profile page, the Statistics tab has sections for posts, photo albums, visitor messages, and user notes, but nothing for blogs. In fact there is nothing I've found on the profile page to jump to that member's blogs.

This seems as though it would be far more useful than the User Notes info/links, especially given that as far as I know, no one is using User Notes at all.