1. SolZephyr

SolZephyr Member Supporter

SolZephyr: The Heart of the Radiant

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by SolZephyr, Feb 17, 2019.

Alrighty. I've kind of wanted to make one of these since last year, but I had other things I needed to get through before I was willing to make a (semi) public commitment to writing.

Unfortunately, this is not for the story I was writing last year, as I've come to the conclusion that story was too ambitious for my first novel. I'm not throwing it out, but I'm going with my second choice, which should be much more reasonable.

I expect the final version should be between 60 - 80k words. I've currently got ~9k written as a very rough draft of all but the final scenes of the story and ~4k written in my first draft.

My plans are to write at the minimum 500 words per day but my goal is 700 per day. So far I'm well on target. Not including the rough draft, which took about a week to write, I've been averaging 800 per day (starting on Tuesday). Granted, today has been far more productive than usual (thanks to my SO taking our toddler for half the day) with over 1300 written, but I'm still feeling optimistic.

I'll be posting once a week, and I'll try to make my posts each Saturday night, so I should be getting at a minimum 3500 words per post and ideally 4900.

So, yeah, I'm going to try to stick to these goals as best as I can. When summer hits, I might have trouble as my workload is going to be ramped up significantly, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Anyway, first post's progress summary:

Rough draft: ~9k (complete, essentially)

First draft:
    Chapter 1: 4.1k (complete)

2. SolZephyr

All righty, time for a check-in!

The week started off rough, with me falling way behind due to a combination of writer's block and just not enough time. Wednesday and Thursday were both extremely productive, though, and I was able to get back on schedule towards my weekly goal, ending with another ~5.3k words to the first draft this week.

Progress summary:

First draft:
    Chapter 2: 2.9k (complete)
    Chapter 3: 2.4k (not quite complete -- still one very important scene to go)

Stormburn likes this.
  3. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Enclave Soldier Contributor

Nice!!! keep going.

SolZephyr likes this.
  4. SolZephyr

Okay, finished this week's work just before my weekly deadline. I've written ~5.5k words more on the first draft this week. Chapter 3 turned out to be longer than I expected, but I'm worried chapter 5 will turn out to perhaps be too short due to some changes to the plot (and landscape). Still, that should be something able to be sorted out by restructuring where I break for chapters, so it's not a big concern.

Anyway, progress summary:
    Chapter 2: 2.9k (complete)
    Chapter 3: 4.2k (complete)
    Chapter 4: 3.6k (complete)

John-Wayne, Stormburn and Reece like this.
  5. SolZephyr

Well, I didn't get quite as much as I'd hoped done this week, but I at least met my goal. I was hoping to have a lot more than usual since I got Wednesday off from work (a nice surprise from my boss since he was taking the day off, I think), but... while Wednesday was extra productive, I've had to make a lot of adjustments to the plot for where I'm at. I also realized there were a couple of things that needed to happen in earlier chapters which I've now added in. I was hoping to avoid rewrites before finishing the first draft, but it felt weird writing new material as if those things had happened when they weren't written down as such. Not including rewrites, I've put in ~5.2k words this week.

As for the plot hiccups, I've mostly figured the bits I'm uncertain about for now. I've got 2 1/2 more chapters to go before it will really be clear sailing though. There are still a couple of more issues I'm not completely sure how to handle yet, namely when to kill a certain character and what to do in chapter 8, since certain changes have made my original plans no longer completely valid (they were definitely necessary, though). I might need to split chapter 8 into two chapters now, but I hope not. I also need to figure out some details of the big confrontation at the end of that chapter, but that's more a matter of presentation issues than plot. Once I reach chapter 9, though, my rough draft/outline is pretty solid all the way up until the finale.

Now, without further ado, the progress summary:

Chapter 1: 4.2k (complete, again)
    Chapter 2: 3.3k (complete, again)
    Chapter 5: 3.7k (complete)
    Chapter 6: 1.0k (in progress)

Stormburn and John-Wayne like this.
  6. John-Wayne

I just misread the title as Heart of the Swarm. but that maybe because every since Pokemon Red, I have named every Scyther Sol'(name) . Such as Sol'Edge, Sol'Reaver, etc. So just imagine a huge swarm of Scythers destroying everything in it's path. :p .

anyways,

You are making some nice progress, my chapters haven a tendency to be larger, but I also try to find the most natural transition between scene and chapter... so it varies. :).

Oh, I know all about this. I use to go days without writing anything with my current WIP (It's in final revision) . and other days, I just sat and burned through it.

SolZephyr likes this.
  7. SolZephyr

Thanks! I'm of the mindset that shorter chapters are preferable, as they lend to a sense of progression for the reader. At least that's how it works for me. :D

John-Wayne likes this.
  8. John-Wayne

I have them titled in the scenes, but I could easily go back and splice some more.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    SolZephyr likes this.
  9. SolZephyr

Alright, time for the weekly update. It was a rather productive week (by my standards) all things considered, especially considering that I rewrote a large portion of chapter 6 (and nearly rewrote it again) because I knew what I wanted to do but just couldn't figure out how. Looking online didn't help much, because apparently it's just not common for people to wake up a limb fewer but otherwise perfectly healthy, but I think I got enough from reading about patient reactions to doctor's announcing similar news. Regardless, overall word count for this week was ~5.3k.

Progress summary:

Chapter 1: 4.2k (complete, with minor alterations)
    Chapter 2: 3.3k (complete, with minor alterations)
    Chapter 3: 4.1k (complete, with minor alterations)
    Chapter 5: 3.7k (complete, with minor alterations)
    Chapter 6: 5.2k (complete)
    Chapter 7: 1.1k (complete; yes it's short, I'm just checking in on the antagonist with this one)

Stormburn likes this.
  10. SolZephyr

Well, this was a rough week. I slouched completely on Sunday, thinking I'd be able to make it up, but then a lot happened that really put me behind. I was able to get in some extra time today to mostly make it up, and was able to well clear my minimum goal of 3500 words, but fell just short of my desired goal of 5000 at a respectable 4.7k. I could stay up and write more, but it's almost midnight here and stopping at a chapter's end is kind of a nice place to stop, so that's what I'm going to do.

Progress summary:

Chapter 1: 4.2k (complete)
    Chapter 2: 3.3k (complete)
    Chapter 3: 4.2k (complete, with minor alterations)
    Chapter 7: 1.1k (complete)
    Chapter 8: 4.6k (complete)

Alan Aspie likes this.
  11. SolZephyr

Alrighty! Not much to say about this week. Progress has been good. I rewrote the end of chapter 8 when I realized that I'd left out two very important details, but have written ~5300 words on top of that (okay, 5254, but it rounds up).

Anyway, progress summary:

Chapter 9: 3.7k (complete)
    Chapter 10: 1.6k (in progress)

Alan Aspie likes this.
  12. SolZephyr

Made it past the halfway point! Whoo!

Not much to say other than that. I wrote almost exactly 5000 words, this time.

Progress summary:

Chapter 10: 4.2k (complete)
    Chapter 11: 2.4k (in progress)

John-Wayne likes this.
  13. SolZephyr

Alright, not much of an update, just a standard week of writing. Met the goal of 5000 words and am currently on chapter 12. I might actually be further than expected as I'm thinking about merging chapters 14 and 15.

I'm actually really happy with how these last several chapters have been coming out. The first 4-5 I think need a good bit of reworking for my second pass, but the recent ones might just need a bit of polishing and that's it. Of course, they might look different to me once I finally get back to them, but I still think they've been coming out better than the earlier ones.

Progress summary (some chapters have been reworked slightly, but I wasn't paying attention to which and don't care enough to go back and get new word counts):

Chapter 1:
    4.2k (complete)
    Chapter 11: 5.0k (complete)
    Chapter 12: 2.5k (in progress)

John-Wayne and Alan Aspie like this.
  14. SolZephyr

This week was fairly productive, though I would have hoped for it to have been more so. I hit 5400 words but I could have gotten over 6k, except for one issue.

I finally acknowledged a problem that I knew existed but have been ignoring: I need to cut a couple of characters from the story. I've put together an outline of how to adjust for that all the way up to chapter 15, and figuring out how to make a few of the scenes play out without the original actors took a bit of work. I'm still kind of iffy on one battle scene in particular, but once I have enough details to conclude I can make a solid scene on my second pass I'll be back to work on finishing up the first draft.

Progress summary (first draft):

Chapter 12: 5.0k (complete)
    Chapter 13: 1.4k (complete)
    Chapter 14: 1.5k (in progress)

John-Wayne likes this.
  15. SolZephyr

Well, I don't know how many words I wrote because I've stopped keeping track of the changes I make to previous chapters, but Scrivener says I've written over 5k this week even though only 4.9k have been added to the two chapters I was supposed to work on.

I suppose that's neither here nor there, though. The big news here is that I'm finally in the final stretch. In the current chapter I'm writing (and definitely going to happen in my next writing session) is the event that kicks off the final sequence of events in the story, meaning I'm officially in the home stretch (and also 75% done with the first draft, as chapter 19 is the last big chapter; chapter 20 is the ending and I don't expect it will be very long at all).

Anyway, I'm all gung ho about this because it's time for the protags and antags to finally settle things, and many of the big secrets I've tried hinting at throughout are going to be revealed. Bring home the climax!

Chapter 14: 4.3k (complete)
    Chapter 15: 2.1k (in progress)

marshipan, Alan Aspie and John-Wayne like this.
  16. John-Wayne

You are making some nice progress Sol, it's always nice to complete a chapter... until something in a later chapter forces you to return and update the earlier chapters... oh... and then you realize that some characters are missing and must add them throughout the story.... then you create a new antagonist... and oh...

anyways. nicely done. :)

SolZephyr and Alan Aspie like this.
  17. SolZephyr

In the most recent case of needing to go back, it was because I forgot one of my characters had a bow. I've been trying to avoid going back and making major changes until I finish the first draft, opting to just keep a list of notes to address for the second pass, but sometimes I can't help myself.

John-Wayne likes this.
  18. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

One of my characters used a bow. I changed it to a crossbow mid story, and then incorporated those changes in the developmental draft.

19. SolZephyr

Two more chapters down, only three to go -- the calm before the storm, the storm, and the ending! Also apparently I wrote more than I realized this week (5.6k), which suits me just fine.

Chapter 15: 4.6k (complete)
    Chapter 16: 3.1k (complete, probably; I might shift some of what I intend for the next chapter here, but I don't think I will)

Dracon, Alan Aspie and Stormburn like this.
  20. SolZephyr

Took a minor break to make some artwork for the book. I doubt it will be used for anything, but I didn't like having an empty DeviantArt page (I got it for reasons a while back, and have been posting progress updates there despite only having a couple of friends as followers), so I made this:
    [​IMG]

That's the titular Heart of the Radiant. I highly doubt I'll make anything more, because there isn't really anything else iconic from my story other than characters, and I don't have the time (or skill, to be honest) to model, texture, and composite humans/human-like creatures.

Anyway, story progress: finished another chapter. Down to only two left. The next one's the big one, but I think I'm finally happy with my outline (third+ attempt), so hopefully I can get it done by the end of the week!

Chapter 15: 4.6k (complete)
    Chapter 16: 3.1k (complete)
    Chapter 17: 4.7k (complete)

Alan Aspie, Dracon and Stormburn like this.
  21. SolZephyr

I'm gonna go ahead and put my entry in early today, because I know there's no way I'm going to meet my goal for this week. A combination of burnout and writer's block hit me hard. The burnout because of personal reasons and the writer's block because, despite having rewritten the rough draft for this chapter twice already on the way here, I ignored one stupidly important detail: the leader of the group protecting the McGuffin has absolutely zero reason to want or let my MC's party stand alongside him in the final battle.

This threw off the entire damn scene, and after three scrapped attempts I decided to just focus on figuring out how the scene should progress before trying to write it again. The good news is that I think I've finally mostly got it, and honestly it's a major improvement imo. The MC is a much more active character, there's going to be an extra battle scene that bookends an encounter back in chapter 2, and the reason things play out the way they do is better shown. That, and I think the completion of my MC's character arc is more poignant this way, if only slightly.

So, even if I didn't meet this week's goals, I'm confident that I'm still on target to meet my goal of finishing the first draft before the end of May.

Anway, progress summary (what little there was):