1. SolZephyr

SolZephyr Member Supporter

SolZephyr: The Heart of the Radiant

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by SolZephyr, Feb 17, 2019.

Alrighty. I've kind of wanted to make one of these since last year, but I had other things I needed to get through before I was willing to make a (semi) public commitment to writing.

Unfortunately, this is not for the story I was writing last year, as I've come to the conclusion that story was too ambitious for my first novel. I'm not throwing it out, but I'm going with my second choice, which should be much more reasonable.

I expect the final version should be between 60 - 80k words. I've currently got ~9k written as a very rough draft of all but the final scenes of the story and ~4k written in my first draft.

My plans are to write at the minimum 500 words per day but my goal is 700 per day. So far I'm well on target. Not including the rough draft, which took about a week to write, I've been averaging 800 per day (starting on Tuesday). Granted, today has been far more productive than usual (thanks to my SO taking our toddler for half the day) with over 1300 written, but I'm still feeling optimistic.

I'll be posting once a week, and I'll try to make my posts each Saturday night, so I should be getting at a minimum 3500 words per post and ideally 4900.

So, yeah, I'm going to try to stick to these goals as best as I can. When summer hits, I might have trouble as my workload is going to be ramped up significantly, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Anyway, first post's progress summary:

Rough draft: ~9k (complete, essentially)

First draft:
    Chapter 1: 4.1k (complete)

Stormburn, John-Wayne and Dracon like this.
  2. SolZephyr

All righty, time for a check-in!

The week started off rough, with me falling way behind due to a combination of writer's block and just not enough time. Wednesday and Thursday were both extremely productive, though, and I was able to get back on schedule towards my weekly goal, ending with another ~5.3k words to the first draft this week.

Progress summary:

First draft:
    Chapter 2: 2.9k (complete)
    Chapter 3: 2.4k (not quite complete -- still one very important scene to go)

Stormburn likes this.
  3. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman with a pen in hand Contributor

Nice!!! keep going.

SolZephyr likes this.
  4. SolZephyr

Okay, finished this week's work just before my weekly deadline. I've written ~5.5k words more on the first draft this week. Chapter 3 turned out to be longer than I expected, but I'm worried chapter 5 will turn out to perhaps be too short due to some changes to the plot (and landscape). Still, that should be something able to be sorted out by restructuring where I break for chapters, so it's not a big concern.

Anyway, progress summary:
    Chapter 2: 2.9k (complete)
    Chapter 3: 4.2k (complete)
    Chapter 4: 3.6k (complete)

John-Wayne, Stormburn and Reece like this.
  5. SolZephyr

Well, I didn't get quite as much as I'd hoped done this week, but I at least met my goal. I was hoping to have a lot more than usual since I got Wednesday off from work (a nice surprise from my boss since he was taking the day off, I think), but... while Wednesday was extra productive, I've had to make a lot of adjustments to the plot for where I'm at. I also realized there were a couple of things that needed to happen in earlier chapters which I've now added in. I was hoping to avoid rewrites before finishing the first draft, but it felt weird writing new material as if those things had happened when they weren't written down as such. Not including rewrites, I've put in ~5.2k words this week.

As for the plot hiccups, I've mostly figured the bits I'm uncertain about for now. I've got 2 1/2 more chapters to go before it will really be clear sailing though. There are still a couple of more issues I'm not completely sure how to handle yet, namely when to kill a certain character and what to do in chapter 8, since certain changes have made my original plans no longer completely valid (they were definitely necessary, though). I might need to split chapter 8 into two chapters now, but I hope not. I also need to figure out some details of the big confrontation at the end of that chapter, but that's more a matter of presentation issues than plot. Once I reach chapter 9, though, my rough draft/outline is pretty solid all the way up until the finale.

Now, without further ado, the progress summary:

Chapter 1: 4.2k (complete, again)
    Chapter 2: 3.3k (complete, again)
    Chapter 3: 4.2k (complete)
    Chapter 5: 3.7k (complete)
    Chapter 6: 1.0k (in progress)

Stormburn and John-Wayne like this.
  6. John-Wayne

I just misread the title as Heart of the Swarm. but that maybe because every since Pokemon Red, I have named every Scyther Sol'(name) . Such as Sol'Edge, Sol'Reaver, etc. So just imagine a huge swarm of Scythers destroying everything in it's path. :p .

anyways,

You are making some nice progress, my chapters haven a tendency to be larger, but I also try to find the most natural transition between scene and chapter... so it varies. :).

Oh, I know all about this. I use to go days without writing anything with my current WIP (It's in final revision) . and other days, I just sat and burned through it.

SolZephyr likes this.
  7. SolZephyr

Thanks! I'm of the mindset that shorter chapters are preferable, as they lend to a sense of progression for the reader. At least that's how it works for me. :D

John-Wayne likes this.
  8. John-Wayne

I have them titled in the scenes, but I could easily go back and splice some more.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    SolZephyr likes this.
  9. SolZephyr

Alright, time for the weekly update. It was a rather productive week (by my standards) all things considered, especially considering that I rewrote a large portion of chapter 6 (and nearly rewrote it again) because I knew what I wanted to do but just couldn't figure out how. Looking online didn't help much, because apparently it's just not common for people to wake up a limb fewer but otherwise perfectly healthy, but I think I got enough from reading about patient reactions to doctor's announcing similar news. Regardless, overall word count for this week was ~5.3k.

Progress summary:

Chapter 1: 4.2k (complete, with minor alterations)
    Chapter 2: 3.3k (complete, with minor alterations)
    Chapter 3: 4.1k (complete, with minor alterations)
    Chapter 5: 3.7k (complete, with minor alterations)
    Chapter 6: 5.2k (complete)
    Chapter 7: 1.1k (complete; yes it's short, I'm just checking in on the antagonist with this one)

Stormburn likes this.
  10. SolZephyr

Well, this was a rough week. I slouched completely on Sunday, thinking I'd be able to make it up, but then a lot happened that really put me behind. I was able to get in some extra time today to mostly make it up, and was able to well clear my minimum goal of 3500 words, but fell just short of my desired goal of 5000 at a respectable 4.7k. I could stay up and write more, but it's almost midnight here and stopping at a chapter's end is kind of a nice place to stop, so that's what I'm going to do.

Progress summary:

Chapter 1: 4.2k (complete)
    Chapter 2: 3.3k (complete)
    Chapter 3: 4.2k (complete, with minor alterations)
    Chapter 5: 3.7k (complete)
    Chapter 6: 5.2k (complete)
    Chapter 7: 1.1k (complete)
    Chapter 8: 4.6k (complete)

Alan Aspie likes this.