1. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Conflicts between gods

Discussion in 'Research' started by DeathandGrim, Feb 23, 2013.

I have a goddess that I'm developing for my series who kills her sister, but I have no clue why actually. I like mythology yet I don't know too much about the conflicts between gods that I know (mainly Greek mythology)

I need to know what are some conflicts that have been explored between gods in any mythology?

2. Xatron

Xatron New Member

Greek goddess Hera threw her son Hephaestus from the top of a mountain down to an island because he was ugly. Generally most godly conflicts are a product of some kind of jealousy or pride. Most of them petty.

3. Bimber

Bimber New Member

Dont look at them as "Gods" but just as normal people, what makes us do bad things to one another, Gods in mythology are no different
    There are plenty of articles about it on wiki

4. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

copied and pasted - there is tons of this on wiki - researching should be the fun part for you!!!

A recurrent theme in Greek myth is the tensions between female and male deities. A few examples that immediately pop into my mind concern Hera and Demeter: Hera's jealousy and vengeance over Zeus's philandering; Demeter's fury over Zeus giving her daughter away in marriage to Hades; and Demeter's anger over her rape by Poseidon. Artemis takes vengeance on a mortal man rather than a god, but it's a similar theme, as Actaeon sees her nude while bathing and she changes him into a stag who was killed by his own dogs. I can't think of any similar myths about Aphrodite, as in Greek tradition she came to be the ideal of feminine beauty and sexuality, not so much an assertive figure, however some of her epithets - such as "Slayer of Men" - suggest she was originally more aggressive in continuity with her Near Eastern origins.

As Athena was a goddess with no mother, who ruled over the masculine domains of war, strategy and intellect, she upheld the patriarchal order of her father Zeus and did not really come into conflict with the male gods. Hephaestus did try to rape her at one point (with his semen falling to the earth and creating Athena's foster-son, Erichthonius), but she did not terrorize him with her fury.

5. GhostWolfe

GhostWolfe New Member

Definitely jealousy. Like the time Aphrodite, Hera, & Athena had a beauty contest over an apple :rolleyes:

6. JennyM

JennyM New Member

Usually there will be a man involved! :eek:

Maybe the man was her's before he saw how beautiful the sister was.

7. Oak7ree

Oak7ree Member

How about this: the sister blessed wrong mortals. The goddess had a certain city under her watchful eye, and then her sister tricked her away from her duty and blessed an invading army. The battle devastated both sides, especially the city's population.