Tags:
  1. lonelystar

lonelystar Active Member

Flashbacks

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by lonelystar, Feb 7, 2018.

I know that flashbacks aren't for every writer or every story, but I have decided to have a flashback in my current WIP. I have a couple of questions.
    1. I am looking to have the flashback as a continuation of the story, rather than a separate chapter. Like this -
    Sitting here in this bar, alone, reminded her of the night two years ago when she'd also been sat alone in a bar. He offered to buy her a drink.
    They sat in a corner booth with their drinks before introductions were made....

Would you
    A) continue the story straight after the flashback (something brings them back to reality like a phone ringing)
    B) start a new chapter to move to current story time
    2. Do you feel there is an ideal length for a flashback?
    3. How do you decide whether to use a flashback or exposition? Do have criteria?

2. samgallenberger

samgallenberger Member

Great question. I'd also be interesting in hearing answers to this.

3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I would do A, personally. It's hard to no if it's the right length without seeing a much longer portion of your whole story, but I think it can work. Straying from the present narratives too much can be a problem or it can work. But, yeah, A. That's what I think.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

You might want to start by asking what is the purpose of the flashback? How does it move the story forward where relating the past events in other ways wouldn't?

You have a female character reminiscing about meeting a guy two years earlier.

Does she still pine for him?
    Did he just show up again?
    Was he a jerk and she hasn't trusted a guy since?
    That's where you should start. Length and how you return to the present are just mechanics.