1. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Fort Hood getting shot up again

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Robert_S, Apr 2, 2014.

It's on the news now.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

We interrupt our regularly scheduled constant breaking news with nothing found yet from flight 370 to give you nonstop breaking news speculation from a shooting at Ft Hood.

Best wishes for those involved.

3. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

I've read the shooter was a severe case of PTSD.
    More effort should be made to support and understand mental disorders in today's society.

4. SuttonMichael254

SuttonMichael254 Active Member

Killeen is my hometown my wife and kids are there. my stepsons father was on base when it all happened, said it was nuts. scary that, that is the world we live in

5. GingerCoffee

This is the problem with the cheap product that is supposed to be the news media here. And in addition it is a problem with PTSD being so poorly defined. Not saying it doesn't exist and have specific diagnostic criteria, but it's also being used as a catch all for a large array of disorders.

This guy had serious psychological problems, but my understanding is PTSD was merely on the list of possible diagnoses. Yet the news media brings on PTSD experts and talks as if that was the cause of this guy going postal. Mental illness was the cause. What roll PTSD played in the tragedy is unknown.

But I agree with you completely, not enough resources are put into mental illness.

6. GingerCoffee

I'm glad they are all OK.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!

it bothers me that so much is being made of this 'happening again!' there, when it happens many times every day, all over the country... and all over the world...

why should those in the military be any less prone to violence, when if anything, they're more likely to be, having been trained in how to commit it and become accustomed to seeing it as a normal aspect of daily life?... so, why make so much out of a soldier having run amok, as if it's an immoral/unconscionable act for them more so than for civilians?

i would be more prone to blaming the military in general, for aiding and abetting such tragedies, than putting all the blame on the emotionally-addled, suicidal gunman...

8. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

So we should admit by now that rampage killings are now a normal part of American culture. They started with the Reagan revolution bringing corporate culture into normal people's lives, first in workplaces, then when it moved into schools the school shootings began, now government, military, heathcare... We'll see this happen more and more.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't see how you can lay the blame on reagan, MLM, but i agree that we'll continue to see these horrific events taking place... for a variety of reasons, not all of which can be laid at the door of politics/politicians...

10. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I blame John Wayne.

11. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

Reagan didn't make the change solely by his titanic will, but he was a major instigator. The changes in corporate culture and the balance of power in American society were going on before him. Clinton carried the flame and as we have seen, expanded it into schools. Columbine happened under Clinton, as we recall. In the era of the war on terror, we are now seeing that same change enter the military world and now we have regular spree killings in the military under W and Obama.

It's not a solely political issue, but at root based in the change in economic relations between people. Regular people are, more and more, subjected to the stress of corporate culture which is expanding into all aspects of American life. Most people don't become corporate guys because most people don't respond well to that kind of hostile and alienating culture. When you subject everyone to it against their will, it makes the crazies crazier, angry angrier, alienated more alienated, and more people lash out. Thus: regular spree killings.

12. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Hey look, they're saying mental illness "was not a determining factor". Guess you can't blame everything violent on mental illness.

Lewdog likes this.