1. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Author Readings and Book Signings

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by dbesim, Jun 28, 2015.

Hi guys,

I recently went to an interesting author reading which took place at the library where I teach. The reading was conducted by Mike Carey who is the author of the book The Girl With All The Gifts. The reading was phenomenal and there was also a book signing at the end of it. The Girl With All The Gifts is currently being adapted into a movie which will be called She Who Brings Gifts.

I wanted to create this thread specifically for discussion about any author readings or book signings TWF members have been to. This is also an opportunity to talk about the book that was discussed in the event you went to. One reason I enjoyed the book discussed in the reading I went to is because the local area (North Finchley) is referenced in the book as well as a plot-line about zombies taking over the area!

I've since ordered the book from the internet but haven't began reading it yet.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

It's great, isn't it? I remember back in uni some friends and I made a road trip to York Uni to see Seamus Heaney read from his then recent collection Human Chain. I've always felt ambivalent toward that collection, which is a shame with it being his last - I neither love it nor hate it, but someone was able to ask him to recite one of my absolute favourite poems, 'North'.

I wanted to ask him myself, but I couldn't even if I had the choice. I mean, it was Seamus fucking Heaney!

3. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Yes, it's absolutely fantastic and so inspirational. It's so rare that you actually get a first account perspective of the book by the author but I suppose it works for him too in a way because he gets to promote it :) It is completely worth attending one.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015