Some Surprises Here

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stevesh, May 16, 2014.

1. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

I can definitely attest to Virginia's accuracy. At least in Northern VA. There are parts of certain cities where signs are *only* in Korean. What surprises me most is PA since there are lot of people who speak German there.

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

From living in Ohio, I knew a great deal of the heritage was German. Octoberfest is huge in Cincinnati, which is now known as the "Queen City," but was once known as Porkopolis because of the great deal of pork products that came from the largely German city.

3. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

C'mon back. The economy is starting to show signs of life and we have a Republican governor to go with our Republican-led legislature. (I'm near Lansing.)

4. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

I had to smile at Pennsylvania's "Italian" label. Doesn't surprise me in the least. Being from the Philadelphia area, especially with family in South Philly, there's no question that Italian is very prevalent in the state. I would think that German would be a close second, though, what with Lancaster and the Amish population in the middle of the state.

I'd imagine the difference is due to urban vs. rural, which lends itself to @EdFromNY's concerns. Is Italian that widespread throughout the state, or is Pennsylvania's Italian label primarily from the concentration of Italian-Americans in Philadelphia? How much do they truly outnumber the Pennsylvania Dutch? It would be interesting to know.

But that would mean research. And it's too late at night for that. I'll just ask all my Italian relatives when I see them tomorrow. :cool:

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hey, thanks for the invite, Steve, but I'm a UK citizen now, and Scotland is my home. I do keep an eye on life back in the old country, though! And I miss the Great Lakes a lot ...and sometimes even the deep snow. But not much else, to be honest, except for my friends and family.

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Wow, so many languages. In the US if anywhere learning other languages than English seems like a good idea! I'm actually quite surprised I haven't met that many bi/trilingual Americans... On the other hand, you are a huge country and I haven't known that many Americans irl, so the statistics must speak differently.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there may be no 'leeches' in the desert, but there certainly are plenty of 'leaches' when it rains!... i've lived in deserts and can attest to the fact... ;)

8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Deserts has its own set of dangers, just like anywhere else. I'd really rather not be stranded in a desert, thank you.

9. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

I've been trying to figure out what you mean for about 5 minutes now and I'm still coming up aces.