1. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Service Request Someone to check my ebook's cascading style sheet

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Catrin Lewis, Jun 29, 2018.

I'm making good progress on working up the HTML and CSS for the ebook version of my novel. I've been reviewing it in the Kindle Previewer 3, and wow, I'm excited, it's looking Real.

But with my ordinary paragraphs, I just can't get them to indent at the first line, and I can't get rid of the space between them. I understand that's the way the <p>...</p> thing works by default, but darn it, I've got the 1.5em indent there on the style sheet, and 0.0em called out for the margins top and bottom, which should override it. Makes no difference. That stupid space is still there, and no indents.

I suspect I've got something in my style sheet, before or after that bit of code, that overrules those parameters. But I don't know what. So, is there anyone here who could check my CSS and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

We could exchange services; maybe I could do a SPaG check for you, as long as we kept the time outlay more or less the same.

Thanks.

2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I can take a look at it (I have experience with HTML and CSS but not with Kindle, though I don't think the latter should matter).

Eta: Regarding <p>, I believe it uses padding rather than margin.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  3. Catrin Lewis

@Komposten, thanks for the offer. Do you need just the style sheet, or the whole doc? Could you send me your email address in a private message?

There's been a development today that tells me more than ever that I have a hierarchy problem. But I've opened my file in Kindle Previewer 3, and it looks damn good--- except for those double-spaced paragraphs.

As far as <p> and padding, all the sample style sheets I've looked at go something like
    p
    {
    margin-top:0.0em;
    margin-bottom:0.0em;
    text-indent:1.25em;
    text-align:justify;
    }

But you can take a look and see. It appears to me that there is more than one way to do a lot of these things in HTML, but some are better than others.

4. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I'll send you a PM tomorrow evening (CEST) with some info about what I may need.

5. Catrin Lewis

OK!

6. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

@Catrin Lewis, I guess I am repeating myself, but Kindle will upload a Word file, and flawlessly accept the Word formatting. At least, I have not found anything that didn't work. And I have fancy features, like hypeerlinked table of contents (that works in Kindle), underlined headers to offset from the text, my name on even page header, the title on the odd page in italics, page numbers at the bottom. Are you getting something from HTML and CSS (?) that you can't get from Word uploaded into Kindle?