1. CiaDavis

CiaDavis New Member

Plot Point Help

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by CiaDavis, Sep 10, 2011.

Okay, so I have been working on this semi-epic high fantasy novel. The MC has her fortune read by a gypsy when she is about 15. She completely buys into the pile of crap the gypsy sells her about having some huge destiny that she has to chase. Somehow, she thinks that her destiny lies in the non-magic medical profession. This is the plot point I am having trouble with. What could a 15 year old girl--who has no magical ability in a world completely immersed in magic--experience to make her want to become a physician? I'm drawing a complete blank on this one. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

My first though would be a death but if theres magic she would probably just learn necromancy. Its a bit of a difficult one. What about a magic related death thats scares her from using magic?

3. CiaDavis

CiaDavis New Member

The MC is a layman--meaning she has no magical ability whatsoever. She hates magic anyways, because she is jealous that everyone around her can use it but her.

4. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

Maybe she saw a medic administering cpr to person on the cusp of death. The medic revives the person, and your MC equates this life-giving power as something purer than anything magic related. She's naturally inclined to medicine because she can learn powerful skills that uplift people without the use of magic.

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I'm with Joker. an act of medicine she witnesses represent a nonmagical power. From what you have said it makes sense she would be drawn to it.

6. CiaDavis

CiaDavis New Member

Yeah, I like Joker's idea. Definitely going with that. I was trying to think of something profound enough to make someone decide that it was their calling. Woot! Just had a brainstorm! Thanks Joker and Steerpike!!!!!!

7. Batgoat

Batgoat New Member

Perhaps, medicine of the non magical kind rescued someone or something (like, her beloved steed) from the clutching fingers of Death? Perhaps she was the someone or something that was rescued this way, while the person standing next to her was not saved by someone else using magic?

The possibilities are endless.

8. AMasonCarpenter

AMasonCarpenter New Member

I got to go with the chronically ill loved one on this one. Some baby brother/favorite aunt or something has a malady that magic cannot cure and she hears about scientific health-care from a bard/storyteller/traveling drunk or something that puts the idea of becoming a doctor in her head.

Hope that helps.

AMC