1. Annihilation

Annihilation Active Member

Am I a brilliant genius or am I just over my head?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Annihilation, Oct 21, 2015.

Hello guys, I came apon a problem while I was writing.

I'm known to have a very wild imagination first off, and this year I had a great idea for a novel. While I was writing this novel I came across so many subplots and scenarios that would take place within this novel. (For example: I used the themes of three of my short stories and incorporated references to them in here, I used references to real life people and lyrics to songs etc)

But I'm afraid that I'm probably just ignorant and I don't know the difference between good writing and over doing it. Plus, my story isn't finished yet and it might not be an epic size (400 pages)

We are supposed to believe in ourselves but what is the reality here?

2. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

The best way to judge your writing is to give it to other people to read - preferably people who know what they are talking about and know the craft. Hence, I highly recommend that people join writing groups - your profile says you're in Phoenix so you should be able to find several there. Check MeetUp. You can also join online writing groups (including critique forums on this site), but I personally think in-person groups deliver a better service as the participants know each other and get invested in each other's work.

As for size - the average novel is usually somewhere between 60,000 and 100,000 words. 80,000-90,000 is about the standard for a normal adult novel. A little under that for a Young Adult piece, closer to 100,000 if you're writing epic sci-fi or fantasy. Run a word count rather than a page count - page count is deceptive because the number of words on a page is determined by your formatting, and word-processor pages in Times New Roman tend to hold a lot more words than printed novel pages.

Lastly - very few people write perfect on their first draft. So, even if you have a brilliant ida, it's likely that it will need several revision passes to make it great. And you can't do revision without feedback on what does or doesn't work...so I return to my original theme...join writing group. :)

3. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

You seem very much a genius of the highest order, and quite pretty too with your pensive digit. I am prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt on most opinions espoused, for example say if you made an error, I would not pounce, rip off your head. As to ignorance, this is not an important thing, being top-clever-dog is twenty-something battlefront, as pygmy spears. Be natural, don't be too afraid. Have you considered starting a magazine? You could publish your stories in the mag, other people's stories, use this experience as a stepping stone to becoming a great voice in the world of arts and letters. Time is on your side. I think you should find 'scene,' get in on the inside track, at least study literature or English, not engineering. Also, don't read a thing. I am just pre-empting here. Do not read any books. There is a viral-type, a program scam operating here on the wordcom. Beware the readers. We are the writers, please remember this my Alpha.

4. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Am I a brilliant genius or am I just over my head?

Here's a thought; maybe you're neither.

5. DueNorth

DueNorth Senior Member

Matwoolf--somehow I get the notion that your response to our aspiring colleague is tainted by one too many rejection notices in spite of your own (recently celebrated--note Summer 2015 award) genius. Perhaps he is the yet-to-be-discovered among us. Faulkner may have also feared being over his head and we are all fortunate that he persevered.

matwoolf likes this.
  6. Annihilation

You don't need to be sarcastic man. I'm just curious.

7. Annihilation

Is this sarcasm too?

Trust me I can get sarcastic but now is the time to be serious.

8. matwoolf

Hello, I don't know really, I maybe got lost creating a pretty paragraph, there's probably some sense in it, I'm too afraid to look back. But OP please don't worry about sarcasm, I am not sneering, not that I really really understood your points, and I am not top clever pig, only sort of middling, miserable failure as that evil man infers, damn his eyes [kiss kiss]. Actually, I was trying to inspire...you know that prize-winner avatar is cumbersome - to be constantly labelled as the greatest writer on the internet forum ever is very tiresome, even I am sensitive...it should be removed, a more subtle highlighting of my photograph is preferable.

But the thread is about you, and bloody bloody write your stuff, get as many eyes on it as you can, fight, fight. Personally, I'm going through a depressive phase for memoir, balancing years of joy breeding, travelling with a bleak middle period before ultimate recognition, fortune upon death bed.

[crap]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  9. matwoolf

But I do think starting a small magazine is a way to go if you have energy...

10. DueNorth

DueNorth Senior Member

Yes, sarcastic. Please take it in the good humor it is intended. I think if you reflect on your post, including the heading, it is a bit pretentious (especially on this forum where there are so many talented writers) to refer to your own genius. To be frank, I thought that you were doing so with tongue in cheek. BTW, genius is generally not an item of self-appraisal, although most of us have an inkling when we are in over our head. I have no interest in trading barbs with you. To answer your original question more seriously, have some good writers read your stuff. A writing class, writer's group, short story contests, workshop on this site, etc.--all those experiences can be very helpful (and humbling). Best of luck in your efforts--sincerely.

11. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

But that's all, like, Adobe and shit, no?

12. matwoolf

yeah, yeah - just the guy who took on my shorts inspires a little bit: young guy kick-started 5 years ago, submissions appear from across the globe, has events where people 'read,' drink beer, and is the magazine svengali, anthology appearing very soon, up and coming mover and shaker. Good way to get into publishing - if he could insert a couple of his own stories into the magazine would be perfect

Oh, and seems q easy, phneh

BrianIff likes this.
  13. BrianIff

That's what I'm saying. You have to reject maths, applications, the scientific method entirely to have any chance. Michael Crichton is, like, one of those outliers, out there lying. I reject all calls for my acknowledgement of left-right brain.

matwoolf likes this.
  14. nhope

nhope Member Reviewer

The question should be what is your reality, not ours. It's your book so finish writing it. Then, read it out loud to yourself and hear how it sounds. You should be able to determine if it's over-loaded or fabulous, and go from there.

15. matwoolf

You have to read it out in a woman's voice, squeaky nerd voice, maybe soft Irish accent. If you read it aloud to yourself, then conclude it is brilliant - and then nobody else does ever, it can be very troubling psychologically. I stopped speaking, now only write on mirrors.

DueNorth and BrianIff like this.
  16. matwoolf

Can you say that again please Brian, in a different way, please.

BrianIff likes this.
  17. BrianIff

Small magazines are for .45s.

18. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I sincerely hope the heading is meant to be tongue-in-cheek! No one is that egotistic... are they?

19. matwoolf

At least it's a buzz. No one gets high on Amazon. [wise]

BrianIff likes this.
  20. BrianIff

Sometimes I get quite amped up off writing. Have a chuckle to myself. Wonder if I've crossed the line while knowing most inwardly agree. Appears quite mad, prima facie. Have said too much.

21. matwoolf

He's expressing common insecurities - so should be supported, wants to talk it through..?

22. matwoolf

Exciting innit :)

23. BrianIff

Yep. On holidays or re-living the golden age? :)

24. matwoolf

SO oblique, Brian [I think is the word] - have to reach for my medication, only Golden Virginia available, can't keep up, left me in shallow waters - cigarette in hand.

BrianIff likes this.
  25. BrianIff

I'm a big fan of aloe vera myself. Now things are getting ********, not that beer lets my buy hand lotion. Okay, gotta make tracks before something unfortunate, regrettable, of consequence occurs. Seek my waging alcoholic prey.