1. urban_rae

urban_rae New Member

Sorry to say WF, but...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by urban_rae, Jan 9, 2012.

I am compelled to write some feedback on WF. Even though I do not often participate in a lot of conversations, I had been reading a lot of the posts, as I find the information on this site extremely useful. As of late, however, this site has been overrun with nonsense, participation in the writing workshop is low, and there are still site glitches to work out. I'm disappointed, because I had previously found this site so useful. What originally drew me to this site was the quality and caliber of writers, now, many of the threads started are, sorry to say, garbage.

I've been trying to hang in there, because this is the first forum I have ever participated in (I'm a loyalist), but I think I'm going to jump ship. I know, no skin off your back, who cares if I choose to participate somewhere else. I just wanted to let the site owner and moderators know how my perception of the site has changed as of late. My intention with this post is to raise awareness of some issues that I hope you can work out, as this site has helped me in so many ways, I feel a little sad to let it go.

I will check back in the future, I hope it is restored to its former glory.

2. Protar

Protar Active Member

I agree that things have perhaps gotten a little silly lately thanks to a certain posters that shall remain nameless (though I've noticed said nameless poster hasn't been posting much these past few days.). Site glitches, I feel have improved recently and I'm fairly sure a new server has recently been installed or something. As far as I can remember the writing workshop has never been very busy since I've been a member (no doubt due to the effort of an in depth critique.), however that's not to say I think it should necessarily stay that way. I'm not really a long time member compared to some of the folks here, but it's been quite a while now and I think I'll stay and try to contribute as much as I can. Hopefully this site can return to its former glory.

3. L a u r a

L a u r a New Member

I joined this site a little over a month ago and am still amazed by it. Yes, it has a few glitches, and at times I feel like punching a member through my computer screen--but nothing is perfect. No matter where you go or what discussions you choose to be a part of, you'll always get someone who will say something idiotic. But then, after a couple nervous laughs and eyebrow raises, the conversation veers back to the normal, and life goes on.

As long as the Forums continue to allow virtually anyone to sign up (and since the site moderators want more members, I don't think they'll be letting up any time soon), all shades of people will join. But you know what? That’s the beauty of this website: Not only do experienced editors and novelists put in their opinions; newbies do as well. With all levels of knowledge meshed into one place—and without any prejudice based on age or appearances—this website allows people to be creative, and people listen.

As for the low participation in the writing workshop, why not comment in it yourself? Lead by example. Of course, I understand if you don’t have time and yadayadayada. Everyone gets caught up with life. But to say that you “do not often participate in a lot of conversations” and then to complain about low participation in the writing workshops seems a bit hypocritical.

So before you leave the Forums (and I hope you choose to stay!), I’d reevaluate your reasons. Perhaps it’s simply that you’ve lost interest; maybe you need something new. Maybe the humdrum ways of repetition have you locked in place. My suggestion? Try posting—try participating—instead of just observing. You know the cliché: Don’t sit on the sidelines. Go in and play the game. Writers don’t just grow by gaining advice: half the battle is being confident enough in yourself to give it.

4. Anarchist_Apple84

Anarchist_Apple84 New Member

Sorry you feel that way, Urban Rae. I've had my doubts a few times as well, but since I've been participating a lot lately I've been having some very good discussions with people. I wouldn't discount it quite yet.

I'll agree the workshops are lacking. I try to give detailed critiques and think a buddy system works well, where you communicate with a few members on the board you trust and who give good feedback.

It'll be a shame if you do decide to leave, I think this sites worth another shot, personally.

- Apple

5. Blue Night

Blue Night Active Member

I have only been here a few months but this site was so civil and tranquil when I began. I even mentioned that on my 'hello' posting.
    Cog responded that it was a tranquil place and they strive to keep it that way.
    He then retired as moderator. Now I just downright see obscene vulgarity and malicious attacks on individuals.
    Some of the words used to attack are very ugly.
    I once responded to a question in earnest and I was ridiculed harshly.
    So I can see how it's becoming a free-for-all. Not exactly the integrity one would expect from a 'Writing Forum'.

6. L a u r a

L a u r a New Member

Perhaps we all need to step it up. The site moderators, although the "big issues" are brought to them, cannot see everything, especially now that the Forums are expanding. There are just too many posts. So if we see a certain thread becoming a "free-for-all," maybe we should step in and slap everybody back to reality. Although I haven't seen any free-for-alls in my time here, you all obviously have. Maybe I haven't been paying attention lately.

But, if I were you, I wouldn't jump ship quite yet. Of course, it's all up to you (and you probably know a lot more about this website than I do since you've been here longer), but instead of giving up hope, is there anything you can think of that would make the Forums better? What can the site moderators do to fix it? Is there anything we can do?

7. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I've been a member for about 8 months now. If there's anything I've noticed, it's that this, like pretty much everything else, is seasonal. Circumstances change as the year goes around. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's not. It depends on the amount of members a lot of the time. Having more members is better for the longevity of the community. Having less is better for the quality of the conversations since we all become familiar with each other quickly and are less compelled to start threads after we get the tiniest little thought.

However, on that note, I'll draw your attention to the bolded sections of your post.

What you've raised awareness of is that you come to this site so other people can help you, and that even though you've noticed the decline in quality, you don't want to bother trying to help fix it up. So, I'm sorry if I have absolutely no sympathy for someone who doesn't want to attempt to raise the quality of posts and conversations.

8. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Exactly right, L A U R A, I can't see everything. I rely on members reporting posts where people overstep the line in order to notice all of these things. But please don't take matters into your own hands. If you see something that's against the rules, or problematic in any other way, hit the report button. This will send an email to me, and allow me to see what's going on. If you try and "slap everybody down to reality" it really is going to become a free for all.

I'm hoping to have new moderators in place by the end of the month, and I'd ask you to please bear with me for the time being.

9. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Member

I imagine a forum like this should be self-regulating. Most of the OT threads, I think, are properly labelled and placed correctly, so as not to interfere with the workshop or other serious threads. If you think a thread is silly, don't read it- most of those peter out pretty quickly after the OP gets the answer they wanted or everyone gets tired of arguing.

I do agree though, that it's a lead by example kind of thing.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

don't complain here and don't retaliate when you see bullies at work... just REPORT IT!!!

that's what the report button is for, kids... if everyone would do that [responsibly, however, not for minor infractions that would swamp the mods and make their job that much harder], the site would be a better place for all...

and it's still and always has been since its inception, THE BEST DARN WRITING SITE EVER!

11. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I must say I agree with mammamaia - and even though there are little tiffs here and there, and tempers may rise, this place is much, much better than another I was on. OMG - over there one didn't dare disagree with the Old Crowd or the cat claws came out - and they were loooonnnngggg. (Did I spell that right? :D) Yes, some of the post[er]s get frustrating, some good discussions can still be had with the topics.

So basically - I'm happy. ;)

12. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I think any forum is what you make it really. There will always be stuff that you think is 'garbage', or people you might not get along with.

There have been a few interesting discussions here of late, to my mind. Still lots of good writing advice about too.

As for reporting folk, I haven't and don't plan to anytime soon.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why not?... don't you think it's every member's responsibility to report bad behavior, spam, etc.?...