1. Zeppo595

Zeppo595 Contributor Contributor

New

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Zeppo595, Sep 28, 2019.

Hello,

I'm a new writer here. I have written and published some non fiction.

I have written short stories over the past few years, but have not submitted them anywhere. I would like to get some feedback on them.

I write in the realist style. My favourite collections are:

James Joyce - Dubliners
    Richard Yates - Eleven kinds of loneliness
    Charles Bukowski - Tales of Ordinary Madness
    Ottessa Moshfegh - Homesick for another world
    Roald Dahl - Complete short stories

As for novelists, my favourites are Richard Yates, Raymond Chandler, Charles Bukowski and Phillip Roth.

Nice to meet you all!

Zeppo

2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi @Zeppo595, and welcome from me

there are rules about feedback which I am sure one of the mods will point you towards, but for starters the best thing to do is get stuck into some of the discussions - both serious and light-hearted. It's a very welcoming forum; get to know it and then people will be much more open to giving feedback (and offering up your own feedback is a terrific way to learn where you are going wrong with your own work - if you are going wrong - generally much better than receiving feedback!)

3. Zeppo595

Zeppo595 Contributor Contributor

Hi Hammer!

Thank you!

Yes, I will get involved in the forums for sure.

Hammer likes this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hello, Zeppo - I'm one of the forum moderators here, and want to welcome you to the forum. :)

AHA! I'm dropping on you from a great height here—because your profile page indicates you are a fan of 'faction.' We just had a thread going recently about faction, and while there was a lot of guessing, nobody on the thread seems to know what faction actually is—at least they didn't last time I looked. Is there any way you could tell us what YOU think 'faction' is? I'd love to hear a definition from somebody who actually likes/uses it. Please? :)

I'll stick a link here to that thread, once I go look it up. Here it is: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/historical-fiction-or-faction.163555/page-2#post-1805322

Meanwhile ...it would be a good idea to read these two links. They will keep you on track, in terms of what happens (and doesn't happen) here on the forum, and should answer many of the questions you might have now, or might arise later on.

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

I look forward to seeing you around the threads. If you encounter any difficulties, please feel free to contact me by 'start a conversation' and I'll do my best to help.

Cheers for now, and PLEASE tell us what 'faction' is? It's not a term I've ever heard until quite recently. But suddenly it's getting mentioned a lot as new members' preferred genre.

Cheers, Jan