1. SoulFire

SoulFire Member

SoulFire's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by SoulFire, Mar 20, 2017.

Long-term Goals:
    • Create a short story anthology of about 12 stories
    • Write my first Novel
    • Graduate College
    Accomplished today:
    • Started this Journal... that's a plus?
    • Read/Critiqued 2 stories for my workshop class (does this count as editing?)
    • Rough outlined what will probably be my next short story - inspiration comes in the strangest of ways

Workshopped: 2 Stories (Approx. 6,000 words read/responded to)
    Written: 0 Words

Goals for tomorrow:

• Finish responding to the monthly short story contest works
    • Finalize the outline for the Detective & Bird short story

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    marshipan likes this.
  2. SoulFire

SoulFire Member

Accomplished today:
    • Finished my responses for the contest and submitted my vote!
    • Managed to get about half way through the outlining process for Echo (previously mentioned detective/bird story). I think I'm going to leave that outline to the side for now.
    Today I received a response for my short story Lloriya (fantasy realism meets coming of age story) that I have been waiting on, and now I believe it is time to go through another revision pass. Depending on whether or not my responses to the contest count as proper critiques, I may submit it to the Workshop here.

Goals for tomorrow:
    • A final revision of Lloriya before submitting for my class.

3. SoulFire

SoulFire Member

Accomplished today:
    • Workshopped 2 Stories for class.
    • Another complete revision pass of Lloriya.
    I'm not quite proud of Lloriya yet. I feel like it lacks the proper balance between interiority/dialogue/description/narration but it's getting there. This last revison has helped a lot. I'm thinking it may need to be a larger story, but due to page restrictions for my class, it cannot be.

I went back and read some of my original writing and the prose feels a lot better. I'm kind of worried that as I grow more confident with my writing, I start trying less. Though I do know that previously my writing had way too much narration, so maybe finding that balance is difficult.

I am really glad I started this journal on here because if I had not, I would have given up my revision for the night and played ESO, so I'm going to keep this thing up.

Goals for tomorrow:
    • Review some more stories on this forum.
    • Write a minimum of 300 words on Echo (shooting for somewhere around 2,000 but don't want to set too high of a goal).
    • Write a minimum of 300 words on The White Knight (my horror WIP novel / this is less important than work on Echo).

marshipan likes this.
  4. SoulFire

SoulFire Member

Accomplished today:
    • Made the decision to make an experimental revision pass on my first completed story Matthew Promised.
    • Went to a poetry reading.
    • Registered for Antioch's 32nd Annual Summer Workshop.
    • Workshopped 2 stories for class.
    Today was not as productive (in terms of writing) that I would have liked. I have not done any editing or writing today, but rather decided to take a break due to being busy with school and work related tasks. Also, after thinking heavily on my initial work of fiction, I have tasked myself with taking the nearly 7,000 word story and dropping it down to around 5,000 (without removing any of the scenes). To do this I have chunked the story into about 300ish word sections and plan to drop 100 words from each in one way or another. This is mostly an experiment to test different styles and to try more concise sentences.

As a result of this decision I have decided to ignore the goals I had set yesterday and will re-approach those projects in the near future.

Additionally, I heard of an interesting concept at the poetry reading that I may try to incorporate in my own writing. One of the poets talks about a term called Pivoting which she claims to have learned through stand up comedians. She claimed that poets would make jokes similar to "Man, what is it with people at airports walking around with their peanuts..." (insert rest of joke and punching) and the next joke would segue into a joke about peanuts. The seemingly irrelevant object of the first section became the point of focus for the second section, so on and so forth. This idea really intrigued me and go me thinking about Amy Gustine's You Should Pity Us Instead (short story collection). In that series of short stories, Gustine uses a similar concept where a seemingly unimportant or small detail from the beginning comes back strongly in the end. I think I may try something along these lines in my next work.

Goals for tomorrow:
    • Trim the first section (minimum) of Matthew Promised.

marshipan likes this.
  5. SoulFire

SoulFire Member

Accomplished today:
    • Returned to this website.
    • Finished setting up website / youtube / twitch.
    • Finished more school work (this is my last week before graduating).
    I've been away from here for nearly two years, but I've been lurking. Now, in the wake of my impending graduation from college, I have returned.

While I was in college I had this intense fear and uncertainty for what I wanted to do with my life. I was uncertain how I could possibly write and feel accomplished while doing it. Recently I discovered something very exciting. There isn't much of a (no-horror) fiction community on Youtube. There are countless channels that will read horror stories, and there are many art/music channels that will create content on the spot, but nothing for fiction authors. I don't know if this is just because we are a pretentious group who only want our writing to be publicised in literary journals, or something along those lines, but I found a niche that I want to fill.

I created both a Twitch and a Youtube channel as well as a website. I plan on doing a lot of my short stories / flash fiction / poetry as free content for twitch and youtube (as well as being posted on my website) while writing novels on the side. The goal is to garner a fan base with the free content in order to entice people to buy the novels. We will see if this idea pans out, but I am excited to try it regardless.

Goals for tomorrow:
    • Finish the rest of my class work.
    • Buy a second monitor so I can start streaming on twitch.
    • Plan a proper stream schedule.

Alan Aspie, Arannir and marshipan like this.
  6. marshipan

marshipan Senior Member

YouTube/twitch is an interesting plan. I considered YouTube a while back, as a booktuber (reviewing and recommending books). My interest waned though. At the time I was doing other YouTube videos for a company but they downscaled, dropping me. Figured I should keep my sorry mug in the shadows for a while (where I prefer it, haha).

What exactly will your videos be? You reading your short fiction? Also, I've seen some authors develop a readership through Wattpad, building up to switching over to other platforms.

Welcome back and congratulations on your impending graduation!

7. SoulFire

SoulFire Member

Thank you marshipan!

I don't know if you engage with many (non-author) artists on Youtube, but a frequent pattern is to film the creation process of a work and create a video where the audience feels like they are engaged in the creation of the work. I plan on doing something similar with flash fiction where I show the entire process and then read the story on the video.

If it fails, I still think I'll have fun doing it so that's really what matters to me.

Alan Aspie and marshipan like this.
  8. marshipan

marshipan Senior Member

I have seen a few videos like that! I find them intriguing. Makes me root for them.

SoulFire likes this.
  9. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Contributor Contributor

That sounds good.

Some kind of ā€¯making of making of" would be interesting part of that. "How to plan & execute clips about planning and executing". A meta making of.

10. SoulFire

SoulFire Member

Well, this didn't go quite as planned. It took me longer than expected to get started. I had some anxiety tied with moving out for the first time and just general nervousness about live streaming. But there is good news! I did it. I completed my first live stream this past Monday. It was nearly two hours and I felt it was really engaging and productive.

I was a bit rusty at the time, seeing as how I hadn't written in close to two months with the aforementioned circumstances. But I had about 7 people show up, with 3 of them actively involved in the chat, which was far better than I ever expected for my first time. Streaming was an exciting experience that I greatly look forward to doing more of in the future.

One issue was that I failed to record the live stream for the video I eventually intend to make, but after seeing how little progress was made on the stream itself, perhaps it's better if I try to change up what my original idea was -- I'm still trying to figure it all out and play it by ear.

Accomplished in the last 3 months:
    • Bought a 2nd monitor
    • Moved house
    • First live stream
    Goals for today/tomorrow:
    • Become more active in this community (again)
    • Begin copywrite exercises
    • Finish (or mostly finish) short story from last stream

Alan Aspie and marshipan like this.