Speed of romance?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Jak of Hearts, Dec 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

If someone I was trying to get romantic with wasn't sleeping with me within the first two weeks I'd probably move on (if there wasn't a really good reason). I know plenty of people who met their partners at parties or bars and have had sex the same night - that has then last for years/ ended in marriages. I've been in a relationship that lasted for almost six years that started with sex.

Sex in the first day, or at least week, is much more realistic in my opinion than two months!

2. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

And I would drop the person if they showed that they couldn't wait long enough for me to feel comfortable or have formed some level of meaningful relationship. Again, as stated on the other page, I only speak from my personal experiences and views. I view sleeping with someone immediately as being unrealistic for a romantic relationship because it isn't something that's realistic for me (and for the people I know).

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

sure but unless the OP is writing about Aces its not terribly helpful to tell him/her that anything less than two months is unrealistic

4. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Even for dating someone, a month seems long for adults. How old is this person? Three dates tends to be average in my experience (or was, I’m married now.). I’ve also slept with women within hours of meeting them, but romance it was not, it was just sex. May have turned into something later, but for me romance takes way longer than sex.

CoyoteKing likes this.
  5. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Another consideration is, what year does the story take place? Three dates and boom wasn't always a thing.

ETA: This thread is really putting me off dating, BTW...Hooking up after three dates? No problem. But to expect me to clear my free time schedule of everything but you and devote every weekend to you after only three dates? Slow your roll, dude...

So, serious question, guys: what's the timeline if you want to get to know someone but don't want them to be too clingy?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    BayView and newjerseyrunner like this.