1. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Speedy calls it quits (For smoking)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Speedy, Mar 1, 2009.

[FONT=&quot]Feeling a bit "meh" today. Totally wasted a weekend bumping around. So I was thinking rather then feel sorry for myself and my mood, I’m going to be active and actually do something while I’m in this state.

My smoking has really picked up since I haven’t worked for a while. I used too (for 5 years) smoke a packet in about three or four days. Now I smoke a packet a day almost, and I don't enjoy it the slightest.

I'm also giving up coffee. I hate smoking so much that I need to have a coffee to make it taste better.... and now I hate coffee.....

Anyone want to bet on how long it’ll last :D

I'll say four days before I bum one.... but I really am going to try. My procrastinations and smoking is really screwing with me, and I’ve had enough.

Anyone else a smoke that really hates it?

Anyway it’s my birthday later this month, so it would be a sweet present if I can stay off them.
    [/FONT]

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Having a goal like that can always help. Hope it works out for you. Seeing how many times my uncle has quit and startd again, I know how difficult it can be. I'm trying to just go off caffeine, and even that is a bit challenging.

3. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

I say you're pretty awesome. If I were addicted to smoking, I doubt I'd be able to quit. I'm not very good with will power. I know I spend too much time on entertaining myself with the internet, movies, books... yet I can't give it up unless something else is preoccupying my time (like a job or meetings). But as soon as that's over, I'm right back where I started. And I have a hard time ever saying no to something sweet sitting around my house (like cake, cookies, candy). I have to rid my home of everything to quit, but then I always slip back. I'm not good at limiting myself. I also have this odd childhood hangup. I feel it's okay to eat all the junk food I want as long as I ate something healthy first. :rolleyes:

Good luck. I hope you succeed. :)

4. Speedy

Thanks for the support. =)

Smoking though really is a son-of-a

Takes your money, takes your health (can), and over time, takes more and more of your yime. It's really not a cool friend worth having.

I really hate quit smoking signs though..The capital Q makes me think of a person having a smoke. o.0

5. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

I'll say more than a month before you start again. Speedy, DON'T MAKE ME LOSE MY MONEY! I'LL KILL YOU SPEEDY! DON'T MAKE MEEEEEE LOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE!

6. apathykills

apathykills New Member

Good luck dude.

It's not an easy thing to do but it's possible; my dad quit a year ago and my mom quit almost five years ago.

Once you get through the first few weeks it should be a breeze.

7. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Speedy, you had me scared. All I could see was "speedy calls it quits" and I thought you were leaving us. *sighs of relief*

Good luck with the smoking endeavor. Might I suggest taking up candy? When my dad quit (he hasn't smoked since I was four), he would suck on a piece of candy every time he wanted a smoke. Gained a few pounds, but it helped.

8. Rei

How about instead of talking about how long it will take for him to start again, we encourage him to never start again?

9. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

How about... I was making a joke? Christ, I might as well not even say anything. Considering that he said he thought it would be less than four days, I thought I'd tell him that I believed he could do more. Sorry Speedy, if my little joke there to give you some encouragement ended in you chain smoking your way into an early grave.

10. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

I thought it was a clever plan Xeno. I was thinking about setting up a Pay Pal and getting a few bets going so Speedy would feel bad about letting us down. JK.

I don't bet anyways. o_O I've heard people can taste things better when they quit smoking. Like smoking causes your tongue to have a coating on it or something...?

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Speedy,my bet is that YOU CAN DO THIS!

I quit smoking about 30 years ago, and I'm glad I did. I switched on my stubborn, and decided the damned weed wasn't going to win.

12. Rei

There are certain things that people shouldn't joke about. Joking about expecting a friend to not succeed at kicking an addiction is not that funny.

13. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

I was going to bet a year, if that makes it any better...:(

14. Speedy

Yeah my grandparents gave up after smoking like 30 years.....just stopped, and havent been back in 15 years.

I gave up for 8 weeks once...with the misses. She got stressed one week and needed a few drinks.... i buckled to her stress, but alls well. I think for me, 12 weeks is the "I'm good period".

S
    Yeah, lollypops are a good alternative to smokes. Worked last time for those 8 weeks.

I'll probably start coking a lot more (I enjoy it). I know some people gain weight when they stop. Heavens it would do me good.

HAHA, you guys are funny. If i get half as stressed as you lot, i'll win ;)

Xeno, Rei's just saying, don't take it to hard mate, okay.

Rei - i did set Xeno up with the taunt of how long i'll last. Thank you for being such a caring person though. You attitude rocks.

Now, now, can't have this thread locked... My paypal account is.... ;)

It's funny i can joke now, but give me 48 hours and the years of laughter will be tears of pain!

With taste - its absoultly true. I "think" i can taste all good food, but years of smoking slowly screws you up, so its like the whole slowly boiling the frog thing....lose a bit here, lose a bit there.

15. Speedy

Smoking is a procrastinators best friend. Its funny how time creeps up on you. At first its like....well i've only been smoking 6 months......1 year, 2 years, 5 years.....

I don't wont to get to the stage of....wow i've been smoking half my life....

16. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

You don't know me, but I wish you good luck!

I know how hard it is to quit. I've had friends and family go through the same thing, even my mother. She's, to my knowledge, gone about 7 years without smoking. I'm proud of her.

You can do it! :)

17. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Speedy you have my spirits with you and goodluck.

But to make it easier you just need a Leaka.
    Ish simple when you have a Leaka with you.
    Sometimes, my daddy smokes cigars and I don't like cigars and they smelly ucky.
    So hide the cigars and what not.
    I play hide and seek with yours too.
    I help.

18. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Goodluck with that speedy, just keep at it - you can do it!

I would say though, dont *expect* to fail, because you'll find yourself waiting for the excuse to give up trying and cave in to one.

Try not to see it as - 'I'll never smoke again ohmygodhowwillisurvive' but more like....'I could smoke right now if i wanted, but i dont need to'.

Take each day as a it comes - good luck!

There's a message here folks - Addictions are bad! Stay off drugs kids :cool:

19. Speedy

When the times right, the times right. And i think the times right ;)

Cheers mate.

I'll be certain to crack open a bottle of buttersworth syrup when i make it a month in.

:D

20. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

No don't eat me.
    Cannibal, cannibal.
    I have decided to make you a cannibal now.
    Is you hungry for Butterworths?

21. de locke

de locke New Member

I'm a smoker and I hate it. I usually get halfway through a cigarette and not want the rest. I really want to quit but experience has taught me that there is no point quitting until I'm 100% committed to it. Good luck though!

22. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

I say you can do it Speedy
    My grandma used to smoke, but she finally quit a few years ago
    So good luck :)

23. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I havent read all three pages of posts, but I just wanted to let you know how happy I am, Speedy! :) Smoking's a horrible habit and a horrible addiction, and I'm proud of you for attempting something so difficult.

Are you going to quit cold turkey or are you going to test out some of those Nico-patches or whatever they call them? Either way, it's very exciting. :)

I dont smoke, but my mother does, and my dad's mom did, and so do most of my remaining grandparents / stepgrandparents. I've found myself rather accustomed to the smell, but it's a yucky habit.

And the same with coffee! I've never found it pleasent tasting, but I've always said that if you need something to wake up, you should probably stop taking it.

I'm sure we're all behind you. I dont know if you're religious or not, or maybe you're like me and give things up for the sake of giving them up, but maybe you could try to give it up for Lent. And then another forty days, and then another...

Good luck!
    (And I love your new signature. Good incentive; cant risk public failure, right? ;))

24. HKB

HKB New Member

Please get "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr. It has worked for me and two other people that I know personally. I smoked heavily for five years and nothing else worked to keep me quit for longer than a month or two. I cannot tell you what quitting does for your self-confidence as far as your belief in yourself to change your life. Smoking really effects your life negatively. Get the book, you can read it while smoking, read it even if you think you don't want to quit yet, just read it. I don't even really regard myself as an ex-smoker because I feel like I so thoroughly crushed that addiction that I have absolutely no attachment or nostalgia or anything, and I never have to fear that I will start smoking again. Good luck!

25. Speedy

Know that feeling very very well.

Thank you :)

Colf turkey. How i did it last time and considering when i stop smoking i don't have those pains some people have i'll stick to it. Patches make me ichy which usually makes me want to have a smke.

Green tea for me now, rather than coffee. Been having some today.

Emily's thread about lent was the final factor. SO yes!

I read all the other smoking threads and noticed you have posted this in every one...sorry but i don't need someone telling me how to stop smoking. * years of stupid addiction is enough. ANd the support of you huys and family etc.

Thank you though. If i'm really really struggling i'll think about it.

I'm now 12 hours in! Yay t me. Half way to a day.