Tags:
  1. Autumn Hazel Rain

Autumn Hazel Rain New Member

to write anew, or return to something unfinished?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Autumn Hazel Rain, Aug 20, 2014.

I have been writing for over 10 years now, and have everything I have ever created. The things is, along with a mind full of ideas, I feel I should return to things I have already created, instead of making something new. Also, at times I feel whats the point of wanting to get published anymore, when it seems everything has already been published, or said.
    Questions? Comments? Concerns? Jokes?

peace
    Autumn

2. Amanda_Geisler

Amanda_Geisler Senior Member

It's always good to keep your ideas stored away, new or old. I have been working on the same series for almost 7 years and I have had several series ideas since then, I just write them down and I will come to them when I finish my current project.
    If you feel that you can create something at least somewhat original from those old ideas then keep them, work on them. It's not about what's the same as other novels, it's about what's different, don't be discouraged by the mass of novels that have already been published. If you don't try, you won't succeed.

Amanda

Autumn Hazel Rain likes this.
  3. Autumn Hazel Rain

Thank you for the great advice :) you are absolutely right. I guess then my next question is how to know what to publish, what path to take? Poetry? Fiction? A combination? What kind of a series are you working on?

4. Amanda_Geisler

I write YA fiction, the series I'm writing now is paranormal (werewolves and whatnot) and so are two of my other future projects, I also have two fantasy projects on the planners as well, all novels. You need to write what you're inspired to write, work out how you can best portray your ideas; would it work as a novel, or would it be better as a short story? Would it work in poetry? There are a whole heap of questions you can ask yourself as soon as you get a new idea. When I get a new idea I spend a good hour fleshing it out and making it a little more solid, working out what I can do with it, if I can make the idea work and how I want to portray the idea. After that I just add more ideas as they come.

5. Autumn Hazel Rain

right on and thank you :) I have always wanted to write and publish YA fiction. Paranormal is my interest as well when it comes to YA fiction. Especially with the subjects of spirits, ghosts, ancient tribes, magic, paganism/Wicca, and loosely based historical epicenters. Do you write professionally? If so, what is your main source of editing/publishing? If not, what would you recommend to get started?

6. Amanda_Geisler

I am definitely not an expert on the subject, I've just done a lot of reading. I don't write professionally just for leisure, for now, I am a child care worker at the moment, studying to be an editor.

7. Autumn Hazel Rain

well that's awesome :) I wish I had your dedication! It would be nice to take off from work and just spend time writing for a few months.

8. Amanda_Geisler

I've actually heard that a few times this week. I don't think to much of it but I seem to be flying through my books so fast that people are starting to notice.
    I would be bored out of my brains if I only had writing to keep me busy. I can only spend a few days in front of the computer before I start to drive myself nuts, either from not sleeping, or missing keys, dyslexia moments getting the better of me, making me frustrated and unable to write. Nope. I think I like working full time as well, it limits the amount of time I get to spend writing, inconvenient at times, but it is much better for my sanity. I can do a week off, but I would never be able to do a month or a few months.

9. Autumn Hazel Rain

good points! I am already feeling nuts from being on the computer ALL day and not writing a single piece of creativity, save for all of the responses I have made on this forum! I really want a typewriter, or should revert back to notebooks, as I felt more focused writing in it. As of late, I get excited to write, get on the computer, and BAM! iam surfing the net or reading old stuff :p I think my motivation muse is on vacation....

10. Amanda_Geisler

I've been trolling the posts tonight, this is the first day in 2 and a half weeks that I've written under 1500 words. I just can't be stuffed tonight, I think my rationale is that I am only working half days tomorrow and Friday so I will get stuff done then.

11. Autumn Hazel Rain

wow....under 1500 words! I feel the same about me moving to a new apartment in a week, I keep saying, once I move I will be settled and then will have the motivation to write.

12. Chiv

Chiv Active Member

If there was one thing that I learned from watching the "George RR Martin and Robin Hobb in conversation" live stream, it's that you should always finish a project.

13. Autumn Hazel Rain

this is true....but all in good time

14. Chiv

Chiv Active Member

But by all means, if you have a good idea, then why not?
    I have a note on my phone that I write down all my ideas for stories. I have a terrible feeling that it will end up like my dad's song idea list: hundreds of ideas with only a few that see the light of day.

15. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

That happens, @Chiv . To me, it's better to have them all down on paper/a file so they're there whenever you're ready to write about them. If you store them in your head, you'll end up forgetting them. That's not what you want, I don't think

16. Autumn Hazel Rain

i agree with you both :) i just need more motivation!

17. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I keep everything just in case. Plus, I rarely sit down and write something front to finish. Most ideas come, sit and brew. I don't hatch them for months maybe even years. But I'll tell you nothing motivates you like a deadline to get things done - I wrote one of my favorite short stories in like four days trying to keep a deadline.

18. Autumn Hazel Rain

i am the same way! Its just now I have so much material, and ideas in my mind, not sure which direction I should take. I miss being in high school and college just for the mere fact of deadlines and like minded people sending me motivation :)

peachalulu likes this.
  19. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

All stories have already been told. All songs have already been written. All we can do now is tell the stories, play the songs our own way. Nobody has told the kind of sci-fi story quite like @KaTrian and I are telling ours, and we think that story deserves to be told and we'll tell it our own way. Everybody's way is unique and that means even old, worn out stories can be made fresh with a fresh approach, a fresh presentation, told with a new angle, something unique to that particular author.

But that kind of writing takes time unless you're a superhuman writing prodigy. Since we're not, we have written, edited, rewritten, reread, edited, edited, and edited the WIP in question countless times. It's close to being good enough, but it'll still need 1-2 run-throughs. After that we have over a dozen finished manuscripts that need the same level of attention and dedication just so they can be told the way we feel they should be told. For us, being amateurs, it takes a few years to finish editing a 100k novel, but it's so much fun and so rewarding, we're glad we have a seemingly endless task ahead of us that'll keep us busy s long as we draw breath. So I'd say write a new story or return to an old one to make it the best it can be, just as long as you enjoy it, have fun, and develop in the process. :cool:

20. Autumn Hazel Rain

rock n roll with your bad selves! And thanks for the advice :) This forum is exactly what i need to get going and create!

T.Trian likes this.
  21. Lee_and_JJ

Lee_and_JJ New Member

We agree with T.Trian in that you must enjoy your writing. Choose what you write by what inspires you. Then you'll find your motivation.