1. Evolution

Evolution New Member

Spelling and Grammer?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Evolution, Oct 11, 2010.

I have a idea for book, The story it self would evolve from something i've done on the internet, which keeps around 16,000 people coming back for more, Not one person has said anything bad about it yet, and lots of people are waiting up late just to see what's next, It gets around 3000 views in 24 hours, and i've only had it going for around 4-5 days, and allot of people are discovering it and wishing they had found it when it started, It's populartry is rising, and it's not even been advertised,

This could go on to be a movie, comic, anything theirs no limits,

My grammer and spelling are horrible, Microsoft word helps a little but, still it limits me, and the story i want to write,

I want this idea to be an success,

What do i do?:confused:

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Get a kids grammar book and work through it, find someone to help you edit your work (could post on the site asking). Read it out loud when grammar is good it will read well.

3. Evolution

Evolution New Member

Thanks for the reply, I've been reading Harry Potter looking how its set out (writing wise) and its pretty damn simple,

Thanks for the reading out loud trick, I'll try that.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I used to think mine was terrible but actually it isn't. My natural grammar is because I tend to write the way I speak the way but I found when editing I manage OK.

5. Manav

Manav New Member

Judging by your post, your grammar is pretty bad. So, despite its limitations, Microsoft Word can only be helpful to you for now. As for example your first few phrases will be corrected by Word as below:

I have an idea for a book. The story itself would evolve from something I've done on the internet

The corrections in red will be detected by Word. Others won't be detected, but two less mistakes is still better than five mistakes.

Misplaced comma, capitalization etc can be corrected by learning from any basic grammar book as Elglaisma suggested.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You must master spelling and grammar in order to be a writer. Programs can help you catch some spelling errors, but many will be undetected because the misspelling becomes another word. Grammar checkers are even less reliable.

You have to bite the bullet and take the time to learn. But you can do it if you put in the time and the work.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

There are uncounted resources on the internet for help with ones grammar and syntax. There are also a bewildering variety of books on the subject at your local bookseller. Give these a try and if you find that you need a little more interaction when it comes to the learning of grammar, syntax, and punctuation, perhaps a class?

8. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

I recommend taking a class, or buy a simple grammar book to help you out. You already took the necessary step on improving your grammar by admitting that you need work on your grammar. Not everyone has the balls to say that.

I also need work on my grammar, and I bought books to educate myself -- still doing it. When you increase your knowledge of rules, more opportunities open, giving you options on how to tell your story.

9. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

First off, do you like to read? Do you read often?

If you want to be a writer you need to read books by professional writers. It will not only improve your grammar and spelling, but it will also show you how they develop their stories.
    You don't have to read the classics if you don't want to. Read something you feel you would enjoy. After a few books you'll probably notice a huge difference from when you first started reading.