1. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

[SPOILER] DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FORCE AWAKENS!!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Jack Asher, Dec 19, 2015.

With a thread title like that, I don't think we need to put anything inside spoiler tags. I think that anyone who clicks on that and doesn't want Star Wars ruined deserves what happens to them.

That said, what did you think of the movie?!

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Darn, I thought you were going to tell us what you thought of it. ;)

Cave Troll and Sack-a-Doo! like this.
  3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Meesa no like-a dis because weesa Gungans were not-a in dis. Dissa big doo doo that weesa were not included into Star Wars. I was made a Felegate to the Salactic Genate for Pooth's sake!

Pooth is Gungan God. Heesa bombad Protector of weesa people. Heesa good God he is, oki-day?

Dissa du burnin' mesa feelings. WEESA NOT FRIENDS!!

<is Force Strangled>

I've heard the movie was pretty good, filled with the right amount of humor in the right amount of places. Not a whole lot of CGI. It was basically a big apology letter to those who didn't like the Prequels and what George Lucas did to his own franchise.

4. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Can someone just spoil it for me? I'm not interested in Disney or action heroes played by teenage girls (or any teenager for that matter), but am curious about what happened to Lucas's galaxy.

5. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

I just got back from seeing it. Good enough movie, but I feel it relied a little too heavily on the nostalgia factor. Ooooh, Han Solo and Chewy. Ooooh, the Millennium Falcon is back. Oooooh, R2 and Leia and C3P0. I felt like it kept throwing these old tricks at us and expecting me to get giddy and I just... didn't. I enjoyed it, mostly, but it felt a little too same-y.

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  6. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

Does this mean you haven't seen the original trilogy?

7. Jack Asher

I thought it was good. I want to preface the following by saying that while it wasn't the greatest movie I've seen all year, it was in the top two. Actually it was in the top two movies I've seen for the last three years or so. There is a lot to examine, and I'll probably go back at least two more times before it's out of theaters.

It didn't follow the monomyth, which was a mildly concerning departure; not from George Lucas' prequels but from the originals. I honestly would have thought that Abrams would have seen the value in sticking with it. You can see the pieces of the Michael Arnt draft in the works and I would really have liked to see the movie that he would have eventually written. Kasden left his fingerprints all over it, and I'm still pissed at the way he fucked up Jedi so I'm not happy to see his campy bullshit in an otherwise fantastic movie.

We can see a strange alternative to the approach of Lucas in regards to the "widening" of the Star Wars universe. Instead of picture of Coruscant and the senate, Abrams merley hints at the world going past the characters. Maz we're told has been running her outpost for a thousand years, and came up with Anakin's lightsaber, and no more than a few lines of dialogue explains it. I think it gives a much richer sense of the setting than we felt in the prequels, who tried to show the same thing simply by packing the screen full of useless characters and CGI bullshit.

Harrison Ford got his wish, Han Solo is dead. I said that to my wife as we were leaving the theater and she said, "Well I always wondered how they got him to come back for this role, and I guess now we know." Both he and Leia have a ghost, which is pretty cool in and of itself. His death scene won't go down as a great one, it hardly packs the gravity of Wrath. And look, he fell down a long shaft, just the way in which fucking everything in Star Wars does.

On that note, I'm tired of the whole, "fly a small ship into a larger ship to blow the larger ship up." It was old with Phantom and it's old now. Fortunately the movie seems to understand this, and spends less than a minute on the whole sequence.

I am getting tired as well of the space ship that can blow up planets. Even a space ship that can blow up planets from very far away.

The dog fights were disappointing. Lucas straight ripped his sequences out of old war footage and movies, and made some pretty incredible space battles. This had T-70's flying and that was awesome, but not as incredible as it could be. With the exception of the scenes with the flight of the Falcon. Apparently the designer was fully aware of how cool everyone knows that ship is, and was determined to use it to give everyone in the audience and orgasm. Unfortunately all those scenes in the first act, and we don't really see the like again.

Now that Han is dead, does Lando get the Falcon back?

Adam Driver was clearly chosen for his voice and not for his face. I don't think that this was a bad thing.

John Boyega does a great job with what must have been a very difficult performance. Finn is the essence of a conflicted character, constantly running toward what he fears the most, for reasons that he doesn't understand. In the hands of a worse actor it could have come across much worse. Or even in the hands of a worse director. We saw what happened when Natalie Portman and Christopher Lee were squandered in the prequels.

No one turned in a bad performance in this film and that was fantastic to see. Even Mark Hamil nails the last scene, in which all he does is take a lightsaber. I'm hoping that that energy can be harnessed for Episode VIII the way it was between Empire and Jedi.

Does Han come back as a blue ghost?

And it was great to see that the hologram technology of the future has caught up with it's fucking self, and we can now see realistic holograms.

8. Jack Asher

What teenagers? Everyone in the movie is over 20.

9. 123456789

I saw it as a child. I've grown up :O

matwoolf likes this.
  10. 123456789

These days, early 20s is still basically teenager :S

11. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

What happened to Vader?

12. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

He died 30 years ago at the end of Return of the Jedi.

13. BrianIff

Whoops. Forgot about that. Didn't mean to sound disrespectful or trying to be funny. Had a brain fart, thinking of the article I read earlier about how Lucas wanted to leave his fate open-ended in ep. iv. Thanks, Link.

Link the Writer likes this.
  14. 123456789

[​IMG]

BrianIff likes this.
  15. Acanthophis

I completely misread what you posted lol. Sorry.

16. js58

js58 Member

I thought that would be the case. Abrams did the same thing with Star Trek. It wears thin pretty quickly.

Haven't seen VII yet. The last twenty years kind of killed my enjoyment of all things Star Wars.

17. Jack Asher

Are you saying that the fact that it's a new movie mean that they shouldn't include the core characters?

"Oh man, Han Solo is in this? I thought this was supposed to be a sequel to Star Wars! Why does it have a character from Star Wars in it? Movie ruined!"

18. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

Nah, that's not what I'm saying. I expect a sequel to build on its predecessor, not do the exact same thing its predecessor did. But, based on the reactions of the crowd in the theatre, I think people would've been fine shelling out $$ to rewatch the original trilogy. There were cheers every time a relic from the originals appeared. Me... not so much. Just showing up doesn't make you a winner, Han, you still gotta run the race and run it well.

19. BrianIff

Thought this was cool, some person did. Thread's closed over there.

20. 123456789

How come nobody is praising the film yet? I'm really confused.

21. SamHammarberg

SamHammarberg New Member

Finn is a garbage character whose only purpose is to serve as an ignition for Rey and a love interest. He breaks the rules of the universe, and the rules of reality, and makes every minute of that movie worse.
    Stormtroopers who just came from their first battle without a single kill cannot utilize a lightsaber and fend off a trained force-user.

The villain has curly hair and teary eyes. If you're going to be the villain of a Star Wars movie, cut your hair and grow some balls.
    Furthermore, how can the child of Han Solo and Leia have absolutely zero wit? I can barely remember anything he said.

The big bad looks like Voldemort but has an even worse name.

And then there's the Hitler-wannabe who supplied the absolutely worst scene of any Star Wars movie, turning essentially everything into a joke. Who the fuck signed off on an Aryan screaming at the camera until spit hit the audience in the cinema, finishing his speech with a random hand gesture, in front of red/black flags?

When writing the plot, show some creativity. All they did was pathetically one-up IV's weapon of mass destruction by making it bigger and stronger, even though The First Order supposedly "raised from the ashes of the Empire" and couldn't possibly have the resources to terraform a planet and turn it into a sun-absorbing ray of visual effects.

I'm pretty sure those are the things that bothered me the most. It was better than the prequels, sure, but at least those you could laugh at. This was just sad.

22. Jack Asher

Oh, also:
    95% on Rotten Tomatoes
    81% on Metacritic
    8.8 on IMDB
    B on AV Club (A- on the user score)
    and a glowing review in the New York Times

Or you could go with @SamHammarberg's criticism and eschew the movie because the antagonist had long curly hair.
    Actually I was kidding about that, but it seems like the kind of review you'd get behind.

23. 123456789

Jack, why do you have to make everything personal? Where's the love, brother? Open up, already!

24. Acanthophis

Finn was trained FROM BIRTH to be a Stormtrooper under the First Order. This means he knows how to work a light sabre due to his training, remember that thing one of the stormies used to fight him? My guess is they all learned how to use those to combat Skywalker's new Jedi Order.

They're trying to create some characters with depth. If you want one dimensional, Lord of the Rings is for you. Besides, I'm pretty sure stabbing your father takes more than balls. You're on a writing forum, you should be more concerned with character development than how they look.

The movie didn't do he greatest job at explaining the new factions at play. From the sounds of it, the New Republic is incredibly small, as their capital isn't even housed on Coruscant. From what I've read about the First Order, they aren't as small as one would think. The Empire spanned across the entire galaxy, it's hard to believe they would be completely wiped out 30 years after Endor. First Order seeks to reinstitute what made Palpatine's Empire the strength it was, and they believe the dark side is the only way to accomplish that.

I'm still iffy on Starkiller Base, as it seeks to throw logic completely out the window.

Hubardo likes this.
  25. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

I'm shielding my eyes... I hit this by accident when randomly searching for threads... if anyone spoils the movie for me I may strangle them. :dead: :confuzled: