Tags:
  1. katina

katina Banned Contributor

star trek or star wars?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by katina, Nov 17, 2018.

which is to be?

Star Trek for me just because.

you?

Rzero likes this.
  2. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

Star Wars, Pre-Disney canon.

katina likes this.
  3. katina

Pre-Disney canon?

4. Rzero

When Disney bought Star Wars, they declared all the books and comics non-canon (not part of the official universe anymore). For some people, Star Wars was six (or three) movies. For some of us it was six movies, six seasons of a TV show and a couple of hundred books and comic book runs that spanned thousands of years worth of stories. I've read seventy of the novels and haven't even gotten to the ones where Han and Leia's kids take over the stories yet. (I didn't start reading them until about ten years ago.) The new movies are good, but some of the books are amazing, and the stories go on for generations after "The Return of the Jedi". They threw it all away and erased all the characters.

katina likes this.
  5. katina

what would you say is your best scene ever in Star Wars?

Rzero likes this.
  6. Rzero

It's hard to pick a scene as my number one favorite, but probably the sarlacc pit. We see Luke as a badass Jedi for the first time; Leia strangles Jabba to death for imprisoning, humiliating and objectifying her; even Lando and the droids are in on the action.

The most powerful scene in the entire series is the fight on Mustafar between Anakin and Obi Wan. It's so incredibly emotionally intense, and Ewan McGregor is effing brilliant.

What's your favorite Trek moment?

Mark Burton and katina like this.
  7. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

Pre-Disney Star Wars over every Star Trek film. But, when it comes to TV Star Trek, Star Wars must take a back seat for me. :)

Justin Thyme and katina like this.
  8. katina

In what way take a back seat?:)

ThunderAngel likes this.
  9. Legolas

Legolas Member

test2.jpg Star Wars over Star Trek, but not by much.

I currently play Star Wars Galaxies "SWG" on my PC, and Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes "SWGOH" on my phone. I also play Star Trek Online "STO" on my Xbox. SWG, being my favorite game of all time.

I am a huge star wars nerd, but am finding a lack of faith in Disney. I did enjoy a great deal of the new movies, but find some things they are doing in the movies hurtful. The stand alone's like Rogue One and Solo are better than the continued series IMO.

I have enjoyed the reboot of star trek much better than of star wars. even so, the in house Star trek problems continue to hinder its progress, with no resolve in sight.

I got to see star wats in 1977 as a young man, and was hooked ever since. I also remember watching Jim kirk and the enterprise on tv, years before that. they have driven my love for sci-fi over every other sci-fi out there. they have also got me interested into other sci-fi as well as the reality of space exploration, and every other form that comes with it.

My current book has a Vampire Elf that uses' The Force. Lets see you nerds top that one...

I almost forgot he is going to do space exploration later on, in a ship with warp drive....

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    katina likes this.
  10. katina

I like this one:

it sounds and feels weird in a weird but fun way haha

Rzero and ThunderAngel like this.
  11. ThunderAngel

I love the original Star Wars films, but not like I love the tv Star Trek franchise. :)

katina likes this.
  12. ThunderAngel

Even though I like the original Star Wars films over every Star Trek film, I do like a few of the Star Trek movies: Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock, The Voyage Home, First Contact, and Abrams' 2009 Star Trek.

katina likes this.
  13. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

They both hold different, separate spots in my heart and I appreciate them for different varied reasons. And while I find Star Wars easier to re-watch, asking me to decide between them is like asking me to decide between bacon and coffee.

halisme, ThunderAngel and Legolas like this.
  14. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I like them both equally, though I am in the camp of Pre-Disney canon Star Wars.
    They should do a mashup of the two and call it Star Trek Wars. :p
    That would be pretty awesome. :p

ThunderAngel and Some Guy like this.
  15. katina

yes but you still have to pick one haha :D

16. katina

Ouch not sure that would work...let see:superthink::unsure:

Cave Troll likes this.
  17. katina

Cave I don't recognise you for a while. I am a visual person haha :D

Cave Troll likes this.
  18. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Coffee then. Definitely.

katina and Cave Troll like this.
  19. ThunderAngel

sw cats and dogs.jpg

Mark Burton, katina and Cave Troll like this.
  20. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

Star Trek

Bone2pick and katina like this.
  21. Christopher Walker

Christopher Walker New Member

Star Trek all the way. I do love Star Wars, but I've watched and rewatched Star Trek so much more; I must have logged thousands of hours across the movies and series combined. I've probably seen the whole of The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine at least five times each.

22. Norfolk nChance

Norfolk nChance Banned

@katina

What a good question... sorry for my long answer, tis a Sunday evening in Hong Kong and I had a glass of red...

I still remember Mum & Dad taking me aged 8 and sister 7 to the Star Wars Opening at the Bradford Odeon 1978. George Lucas had me at “Hello...”. I’ve needed all things Stars Wars since...

In 1982 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Spock lay dying, Kirk his best friend at his side Spock utters “The needs of the many out way the needs of the few...”.

I turn 50 next year, and probably fall into the average nerd of likes and dis-likes of Star Wars. Quoted often is Canon v Lore or Pre-Post Disney or whatever. Empire the best, The Prequel launch disappointed, the Sequels also disappointed. Solo disappointed... Rogue One the one highlight. The Cartoon Network Clone Wars brilliant, Rebels got better post the first season...

The darker the story line the more I enjoyed the franchise. Cartoon Network provided this more than the movies with a deeper and richer backstory. I watched an interview surrounding the negativity of a Phantom Menace with Lucas and had some sympathy for him. He stated at the time he wrote an exciting Space Western based on the Saturday morning BW flicks of Flash Gordon for young teenage boys.

“These original teenage boys are now middle aged married with a small family of their own... my Star Wars story needs to now cater for his original target audience young teens and a much more mature one that’s grown up with the franchise...” Lucas states in defense of Jar-Jar Binks.

In my humble opinion this is/was George Lucas’s mistake. He divided his forces, armies or objectives which any General even Ackbar will tell you is a trap. He just needed to focus on his original audience as they matured, the story told should have matured in context with them, but didn’t. A 7year old boy/girl would be a rare find now that obsessed over Darth Vader and the Empire as did back in the late 70s.

Star Trek grabbed me later. The TOS was already dated in effects compared to SW and too young to appreciate the skirt lengths of Uhura, Christine Chapel or Roddenberry’s controversial scripts. Just the action figures I collected with the Planet of the Apes.

The later movies where a real hit and miss for me. The TNG got me interested enough to re-watch TOS and appreciate them more. VOY I liked the most again a darker story arch of survival. The Borg cross story arch thread especially I really enjoyed. The new Discovery DSC I really enjoyed unlike most Trekkies. The DSC again a darker theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

This Fan Made crowd funded short was phenomenal.

Conclusion

These series got me interested in Space, Science and SCI-FI. The problems I’m suffering from is Stars Wars is an entertainment ride that’s aimed at a 12year old. I just can’t get interested or hooked into the story now.

Star Trek, offering politics and social problems that reflects our current world should appeal more. However, I feel somewhat choked on the force-fed political correctness DSC presents. Jason Isaacs character the one saving grace.

If I had to pick its Star Wars

Its time for a new franchise somehow to rise or to be written. The Expanse, will end with nine books is one such series and the TV version is also well done...

Norfolk nChance

katina likes this.
  23. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

Confession time:
    I haven't actually seen Star Wars yet.

It's not like I haven't tried. I just fell asleep or switched channels or walked away.
    This really happened to me.
    [​IMG]
    So I made the MEME.

I was on a random Star Trek phase around then this year, and when I realised what I happened, I ran with it.

24. Artifacs

Artifacs Senior Member

Star Wrek. Hmm, no.. Star Wars the first six (I haven't see far from that) I don't want to see Han Solo wasted or Luke ending up like Yoda as I've been told.

25. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

I like both, although I haven't caught up on the Disney soap opera versions of SW recently. The most memorable scenes of SW are the battle scenes, whereas those in ST are pretty meh in comparison. On the other hand, I love how ST is able to explore humanity and situations sometimes in a positive light rather than the SW penchant to find the deepest darkest pit and roll around in it. On balance, ST holds my attention more, but not the movies.

katina likes this.