star trek or star wars?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by katina, Nov 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

I really like Star Trek for its ability to provide social commentary in a sci-fi setting. I did a whole project on it in high school. The original series in particular is known for its social commentary. They take a lot of real-world situations, like Nazis, race relations, etc and put them in a sci-fi setting in order to examine them from a different perspective. I grew up on Trek, didn't see Star Wars until I was in at least high school. It's all right, but Trek will always be my first love. Besides, who doesn't love The Trouble With Tribbles?

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  2. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Aside form the Klingons?

Sometimes... just sometimes... it crossed the line from commentary into preachiness.

3. Stormsong07

Hahahahahah too true.
    Yes, it did, but I think the overall message was good so I'm willing to overlook those bits, lol.

4. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

Both are great, but I’ll have to go with Star Wars. Especially the prequels. The whole Roman republic thing is the best, plus the meme material is super dank.

5. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]

6. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

It does beg the question, though, who's more hated: Wesley Crusher or Jar Jar Binks.

7. Stormsong07

Challenge accepted.
    trek.jpg trek3.jpg trek4.jpg trek5.jpg trek6.jpg trek7.jpg trek8.jpg
    trek1.jpg

Attached Files:

Matt E and Cave Troll like this.
  8. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Wesley should be more hated, but purely from lack of viewers in comparison to Jar-Jar, Jar-Jar by a landslide.

Personally, I think both of them kinda suck in their own special ways. Star Wars is a ridiculously cheesy space fantasy with technology that goes backwards as time moves forward. Star Trek has more unforgivably bad characters though, and predictability and talking through everything just tends to get super lame. I usually give Star Trek a little more forgiveness though, for what it did for the genre.

To each their own though. :cool:

Stormsong07 and Cave Troll like this.
  9. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

Stormsong07 and Cave Troll like this.
  10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    24th Century Touch Sceeens.jpg

11. Fallow

Fallow Banned

The question depends on whether you have to consider the whole franchise or the best of. Because most of those later Star Wars films are killing me.

For me, the first two and a half Star Wars films were miraculous monuments to cinematographic world building. Every detail was fresh and genuine, the terror real and the technology consistent and delivered with the absolute minimum of exposition. Great, great filmmaking. 40 years later and SF films all fail to look as good or be as convincing. To this day, Luke Skywalker is one of the most unique protagonists in film.

Star Trek has its moments - primarily when it matured into something other than a Horatio Hornblower morality play - Wrath of Khan takes the best of the concept gives it real drama and convincing scenery. But Star Trek overall feels like SF designed by TV writers, not the vision of SF writers or cutting edge film makers. It isn't hard to imagine a stage version of a Star Trek story. And the morality play aspect is rarely subtle or thought provoking.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  12. Virgo76

Virgo76 Banned

Both are good. It doesn't have to be either/or.
    Some of the ideas in the original and TNG series are ingenious.
    But personally, I prefer Star Wars. The lawless barbarism of scenes like the one in the Mos Eisley space port hint at a wider and somehow more believable universe than the civilised but less intriguing one we get in Star Trek.

13. Jocelyn Rouselle

Jocelyn Rouselle New Member

Prequel trilogy, original trilogy, rouge one is my most favorite, clone wars series, rebels series, original battlefront 2 and the madalorian. the sequel trilogy has to many holes in the plot and made snoke character a joke, he could've been a real dark sith lord reminiscent of palpatine but him being a clone and killed off too easily and quickly, wasted potential. seeing all three sequel movies born and raised star wars (hello to my rebels out there, for alderaan and the rebellion) I really hoped the sequel trilogy would be good. But the "Rrise of Skywalker" to me made the sequel trilogy just a retelling almost of the original with a few changes here and there to the characters and script and worlds, etc. slapping a sticker that says "new & unique" all not much really deep thought or much attention to how the story is being told to fans or even how the script of the entire trilogy is being written at all. The writersplanned to have Palpatine alive after the second death star explosion and was alive the whole time from force awakens to rise of skywalker? So then Why was snoke even bothered to have a sith ring or even any lore to him at all, if snoke was suppoed to be a palpatine kind of character in the force awakens and last jedi why not use him instead of palpatine. why did Rey have to be a palpatine with unlimited power, If she's the grand-daughter, why did they ignore and not bother with having explaining rey's parents, where are they? why do they not have any force abilities, why the grand-daughter, why not the parents?

Me personally I may be wrong here but I think the sequel would have a bit of a better chance if they used snoke better and make him the sequel palpatine and kept Rey's parents vague and mysterious so it would make me think about how the force connects everyone, anyone can be a jedi or sith, the force flows through every living thing, as we been told by Obi-Wan, Yoda, Maz, it would have some meaning because to me the force is the emobiment of hope that in dark times of animosity and hardship anyone can overcome trying times and prosper in the end, hope is faith that give reason to take action and do what is right in our most darkest days and overcome what stands in our way of a big and vast universe full of worlds of many different and unique people.

Sorry I for going off track and rant a bit, but I am a die-hard star wars fan

and to all you star wars fans on here

Hello there.

Larro and Cave Troll like this.
  14. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

Star Trek for when I want future future, and Star Wars for when I want future past.

I was a Wesley fangirl but quietly because no one likes him. He's absolutely an idiot, but I'd say he's better than Jar Jar.

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  15. Larro

Larro Member

Star Wars. Against my will (thank you, brother), I watched every series of Star Trek. Entertaining enough, but a lot of the time it felt like a cheesy soap opera, so Star Wars wins for me, even with Luke Skywalker's whining in A New Hope. Jar Jar didn't offend me too much. I found Deanna Troi's constant stating the obvious much more irritating. "I'm sensing anger...." Yes, we all do. Look. He's visibly angry.

Rzero likes this.
  16. Loremaster88

Loremaster88 New Member

Star Wars has been my obsession since first grade, and what little I've seen of Star Trek never caught my interest or imagination the way Star Wars did.With its spiritual aspects adding a sense of the fantastic, and a MASSIVE universe populated with diverse and detailed cultures, there is just so much potential there for future stories. I really hope Disney taps into that for future films the way their television shows have.

17. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Star Trek and Star Wars are hardly comparable aside from the fact that they both take place in space and each share a similar name.

18. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Star Trek;

we had the first 3 movies on VHS when I was a kid and i remember thinking it way way too long and i got bored with it. watching them again as an adult, doesnt really do anything for me.

But Star Trek, i watched the reruns on tv. My grandmother didnt have cable so I remember being really into Xena and Star Trek reruns and X-files (which would come after each other). I enjoyed them. I'm not a die hard fan, but i know enough pop culture references to get by. I may not know the names right off the bat, but i find myself watching tv and thinking "that guy was in Star Trek." I have not watched the new series with the lady, and I have only seen the first movie with Chris Pine.
    I guess I like the nostalgia of the old one series. It reminds me of sitting on my grandma's couch