1. Accelerator231

Accelerator231 Contributor Contributor

Stargate/ Lovecraft/ Magic meets government

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Accelerator231, Aug 29, 2019.

So here's the thing. I'm trying to write a genre. Whether its the US discovering a stargate, and using it to discover numerous, abandoned worlds, empty of humans, or a spaceship crashing into the moon, and a mad space race to grab it, or even mayb a cache of alien artifacts.

Here's the thing. I want to do this through the eyes of people who know jack shit of the universe they are in. I want to maintain a sense of mystery, wonder, and fear. I wish to write, and to make artifacts that are both wondrous, and can also be horrific.

I tried writing it, and frankly, looking at it, it sucks. So here's the thing. How do I do this? Do I just.... cut down on the talking, everything, until all that's left is the parts I want? Is it an issue with description?

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/worldhopping-sorcerers-and-magical-aliens-urban-fantasy-supernatural-and-sci-fi.755359/

2. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

Things can easily get out of touch and pace if making it too big or using too many items at once. It easily turns into an abstract. Focus on the first artefact and the person who finds it. Use all the senses to describe a few scenes well for immersion. Then a second person can be introduced as a government agent hinting what they are doing, after blowing the cover when the MC almost got killed in a chase.

3. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Basically you’re talking about an event in human history that shifts our appreciation of reality? What is the problem? If you wish to write it from the perspective of someone living today then do that.

If you’re struggling to come up with an event that’s your problem - I would suggest just starting further down the line and then see what ideas pop up for the initial event (keep the initial event a mystery to yourself and then it may create a deeper sense of mystery in the story).

GL

If you were asking something different ask again :)

4. Accelerator231

Accelerator231 Contributor Contributor

Fine then. How about... say, an event.

So let's say I wish to write about a changing era in mankind's history. Like, say, aliens landing. The messiah arriving. The discovery of magic. The opening of the Stargate.

What's the best format? First person of someone close to the ground? Something not unlike world war Z, with various interviews of people? A third person narration, talking of the time? A history lesson?

5. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Well, it depends? What the event is will help you choose. Your own style will help too. Just try as many as you can and mix and match as suits your taste.

The simplest way is probably to start in a normal everyday situation and then have the event suddenly unfold - maybe a ‘48 Hours’ scenario (if you’re familiar with that movie?) where he wakes up in an empty hospital and finds the whole city is deserted.

GL