1. Michael Prince

Michael Prince Member

Starlight and Sunshine

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Michael Prince, Oct 31, 2021.

Men are infatuated by smells. Women are intrigued by taste. Men find trigonometry fascinating. Women find literature thrilling. The concept of male infatuation in particular has been brought up by my forensic psychologist, a beautiful little girl, pretty much the smartest mind on the planet. I made a horrible mistake and told her to fuck off at one point recently. I then had a bad dream the next morning and was crying all day. She often said "You like smelling things" as an introduction, inviting me to smell something, and I smiled and told her I did like smelling things. She's incredible. Now I tell her like everything lawl.
    My point being, I'm seeing another woman soon about twilight, scents and stars, mornings, tea and dreams. Bjork is her younger sister, if you'll believe it. Anyway, I urge anyone interested in high level tea and/or taste to try Twinings English Breakfast and Earl Grey tea. You might be surprised. You might be surprised.

2. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

I love tea, tried the ones you speak of and that is my favorite brand. But I am unsure where you're going with this? I had to look up your post history to see if you were a bot, hehe.

So, how are you doing? And what is this topic about?

3. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

This site by now has me conditioned to critique anything put in front of me.

It's a well-written short mystery, but I was repulsed by the use of innuendo since it trivializes serious things.

For example "seeing another woman" implies the 1st-P narrator was seeing the "little girl" mentioned just above. And there's a forensic psychologist in the picture... and so on... and so on... and we get an interpretative hinge-effect where either a forensic psychologist is metaphorically a little girl and the narrator is an abuser receiving treatment, or a little girl is metaphorically a forensic psychologist and the narrator has used inappropriate language to her. Or, you know, if we're not impressed with either, the word-picture or poem can fall back to a pretence that it's just a mass of spaghetti and we're reading too much into it.

It relies on the interpretative philosophy that "the story is whatever the reader makes of it" to make the reader think the worst, without deigning to tie-up the loose ends with a conclusion. Instead all the images are left floating in literary whitespace. Or more charitably it might be because I'm just not "high level" enough, or "the smartest mind on the planet" so as to grok the concept. It might have a brief snigger at male readers' expense by telling us our gender is fascinated by trigonometry, but not concluding the triangular story-structure it sets up. There's a sort of unspoken genre requirement with pieces like this that there should be a wholesome alternative interpretation. I looked for this along the other line of imagery around tea and taste, but these are surely a red herring: the real appeal this offers to female readers lies in the veiled pessimism it directs at the male readers. So as well as a possible elitist reading, it may be divisive.

Bjork wasn't familiar enough to me for me to pick up any intended reference. Elgar sisters? Is she an only child? Yes that seems to be it: if I google "Bjork only child" to assist the interpretation. "Bjork was the only child of Gudmundur, an electricians ' union chief, and Hildur, a homeopathic doctor". This leaves the narrator on a note of being unreliable. The narrator's gender shouldn't be assumed to be male, but if they are this Bjork reference extends the veiled pessimism.

This is a piece that wants to be fascinating and literature, and not to be told where to go. But despite its fascinating qualities I will tell it where to go: which is the workshop area where it is sure to be welcomed :)

(edit)
    Two more things occurred to me.

The poem provides bi-axial interpretative matrices for male and female readers (and by extension the narrator): one axis is sensory (taste or smell) the other intellectual (trigonometry or literature). But there is no reason to think the narrator is male or female, which leaves the line "I like smelling things", and therefore the poem, impossible to interpret. To improve the poem, the other recognised genders could also be given interpretative matrices, each with a different sense and intellectual pursuit - there are 110 on Tumblr to consider. Alternatively the poem could make clear it only recognises two genders, but this would be to invite cancellation.

The title I didn't initially notice, but it might be an example of alchemical-symbolic mischief popular in certain, elite, political quarters. It's all googleable - traditionally there were "three great lights", two of which were the Sun (male) and the Moon and Seven Stars (female)... the symbolism is of course closed for renovation currently while they re-count the lights... but what's interesting in this poem's title is the apparent demotion of sunlight to sunshine, and the absence of moonlight. The reverse symbols, representing spiritual darkness, are the "black sun", and the (lesser-known) new moon and nineteen stars - which might be why there is starlight in the title but no moonlight. So my other suggestion for improving the poem is to drop the cis-alchemical symbolism of a sun-stars juxtaposition introducing an interpretative "war of the sexes" and find a title that guides the reader to another meaning.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  4. Michael Prince

Michael Prince Member

Sorry, to specify, this is a social topic, not a short mystery, and I realised I might sound kinda shit if all I drank was tea so here's the rest: Monster Original, Monster triple shot, Banana Nurishment(protein drink), Starbucks: Espresso frappucino, whisky and cherry coke, Smirnoff Ice, Red Square, Snowball (Advocaat with cloudy lemonade) 2 mentioned teas, Nescafe double choc mocha and tropical juice.

Topic's just about the states of nature and consciousness, I may get back to the misinterpreted critique.

5. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    You might also consider setting up a blog here and posting this in it; it doesn't come across so much as an invitation to share as it does an observation or experience.

Keeping in mind, of course, that I am not a moderator, but rather simply expressing my opinion

evild4ve likes this.
  6. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

What the hell is this? Why is it in The Lounge?? Did the mods die while I was away?

7. Chromewriter

Chromewriter Contributor Contributor

I killed the moose. I'm sorry.

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated... I too wonder what the heck this is, but the OP hasn't been seen for nearly a month so it may remain a mystery

9. Chromewriter

Chromewriter Contributor Contributor

I brought the moose back. Im a hero.

10. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

smell and taste are practically the same sense. Anyway, I wish I were fascinated by trigonometry because I probably would have done a whole lot better on the math portion of the SAT but actually I have no idea what it is other than that it has something to do with triangles. Twinings is very good, though--I often drink it when I desire black tea, which is practically never. Like Bond, I am not a great tea drinker.