1. alw86

alw86 Active Member

Parodying Real Celebrities - rules, resources, guidance?

Discussion in 'Research' started by alw86, Jan 20, 2021.

I guess my first question is, is this even allowed? Or is it seen as bad taste?

If it changes anything, the parody would be affectionate and fairly kind to most of the characters (though humourous).

I was wondering if anyone had any advice (or, better still, resources) for doing such a thing? I'm thinking both of harder rules, i.e. things that might get me sued if it took off, and more general guidance and best practice.

Any advice or recommendations of this sort of thing done well would be greatly appreciated!

2. More

More Active Member

I would like to point out if you're looking for legal advice, it is best to ask a professional. With all due respect to the members of this forum and the willingness of its members to help. You have no idea if the advice offered is actually of any value. If you don't know the answer to your question how will you know if the ansews will save you from a court case?

alw86 likes this.
  3. alw86

alw86 Active Member

Thanks, that is a good point. I was hoping that there would be a standard set of basic rules to apply, but I guess the fact that I wasn't able to turn anything like that up myself kind of answers the question.

I'm still curious to hear people's thoughts on this kind of thing!

4. somemorningrain

somemorningrain Member

This might have some overlaps with a query I had re. Legal issues surrounding use of cultural references in a novel?
    https://www.writingforums.org/threads/legal-issues-surrounding-use-of-cultural-references-in-a-novel.168415/

I also infer that there is no "standard set of basic rules to apply"; it seems to be a grey area.

Some people parody real celebrities viciously, with impunity; what distinguishes those from people who'd get sued for even invoking a celebrity's name in a favourable way (because they resent their identity being appropriated, even if positive?) - money and power?

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Is it allowed? See, e.g., Saturday Night Live.