1. Becracer

Becracer Member

Starting a New Career

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Becracer, May 31, 2019.

Hi Folks,
    I hope this finds you well and full of inspiration for your next story!

After eight years in the US Army and another thirty-two traveling the world for a global engineering firm I find myself out of a job (too old I guess) but not ready to retire. S
    tanding at this crossroads in my life I have decided to make a bold move and set out on my own as a science fiction novelist.

I am serious about my new career and devote six to ten hours of every day to perfecting my new sci-fi novel, as yet untitled, but with 95k words (about 315 pages) on paper as of this writing I am nearing the finish line on my first book. I’ve never had so much fun, nor felt so fulfilled in all my 58 years of life. I understand that I’m a ‘babe in the woods’ and that the rigors of securing an agent, and a contract, and a publisher, and promoting my book, and all the other joys of being a professional writer yet await me. I hope. Which is why I am joining this forum.

What I am hoping for, what I need, are honest, detailed comments from fellow writers that address the strengths and weaknesses of my work so I can polish it to a brilliant shine for eventual submission to an agent when (yes dammit, I said when) the opportunity finally comes.

My plan is to post mainly in ‘Workshop’ where I will also read and give sincere, intelligent comments on as many of the newer postings as I can manage (2 for 1 baby, I got it!), hoping to receive the same in return. This is my first foray into the literary community, and I must say that I admire your rules that require actual interaction and contribution to the site as a whole. I already feel a kinship with many of you just based on the posts I have read as a guest and I’m looking forward to getting to know you better. Thanks, and may you write a thousand words today!

marshipan, jannert, Lifeline and 4 others like this.
  2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Hello @Becracer and welcome. I'm six weeks away from you, eight years your junior :p, and many thousands less words into my novel (short story man (tall) in general). The six weeks is when I leave this job of mine of 30+ years—having for the last few suffered the gamut of early to late stage ennui.

Hope you don't mind me saying but that's some chunk of time you've committed to there, there's an element of envy as in my committal with my pending commitment I'm aiming for three hours a day. < Wifey's seeing to it that I'm otherwise to be an active DIY man, a cook, a cat feeder, a tidy upper in the daytime's other parts. You saying 'fun' and 'fulfilling' mind instils a little faith I've made the right decision and am champing my bit a bit more now. Please stick around and detail your doings, successes/failures—you're blazing my trail. :) And look forward to seeing your work in the workshop.

Some Guy, jannert and Becracer like this.
  3. Zombie Among Us

Zombie Among Us Active Member

Welcome! You seem like a very nice, optimistic person. I’m also trying to start a career with science fiction, but I’m much younger, to the point where I’ve actually never had a job before.

You should make a progress journal on here! I’d love to see how you manage to work so much and not get worn out.

Have fun writing. For the “may you write a thousand words” comment, I have to say “right back at ya!” :)

jannert and Alan Aspie like this.
  4. Becracer

Becracer Member

Wow, its pretty cool to be a member for only a few hours and learn that I have been an inspiration for someone! I too have assumed the duties of house-husband (house-bitch according to my adoring wife) but I have made it clear that such duties come behind my daily writing goal. I approach this project as my new job and have no problem devoting eight to ten hours a day (or more) in order to see it through. It is important for me to write every day. If I stop, even for a day or two, I feel like I lose my mojo and have to regain so much lost energy. Anyway, since this is my new career and I see this forum as a useful tool in my pursuit of perfection, I will definitely be around for awhile. I will be looking forward to your comments on my work...
    Thanks and may you write a thousand words today!

5. Becracer

Becracer Member

Hey Zombie, I wish that I'd had the cajones to do this when I was young like you. As far as not getting 'burned out' with the work of writing, all I can say is that there's nothing I'd rather do. I have to force myself to go to bed every night (sometimes I don't) and can't wait to get back to my book the next morning. A thousand words a day, every day (yes, even weekends) is my goal and I make it most days. I'll be watching for your comments on my work as soon as I complete the site requirements and can post some. Good luck and may you write a thousand words today!

jannert, SethLoki and Alan Aspie like this.
  6. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Welcome! Make sure you go all over the Forums and absorb everything you can. Let folks get to know you, too. Look forward to seeing your input :)

jannert, Becracer and Zombie Among Us like this.
  7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi again - I just did my 'welcome to the forum' stuff on another thread you started, so I won't go into it again here. But ...well, heck. Welcome to the forum. As a relative 'oldie' myself, it's good to see older folk starting this new career of writing. I love what you said here:
    I always said it's the most fun I've ever had sitting down. :)

Anyway there are quite a few of us late-starters here on the forum. (I started writing at the age of 46, and finally have a novel completed and ready for publication. I'll be turning 70 in a couple of weeks. Writing was never a career for me, just something I enjoy doing before and after 'real job' retirement.)

While we oldsters don't have a lifetime of writing time ahead of us, we do have half a lifetime of living AND presumably happy reading behind us. So this gives us a foot up, I reckon. It also means we need to get down to it and get our stuff finished, if we ever want to get it 'out there.'

Anyway, I'm sure you'll find friends here, including ex-military people who have become writers. I can already think of a few.

Anyway, fulfill your 2 weeks of membership (plus posts) and two full critiques of other people's work, and you can start posting your own writing on the Workshop for feedback. It's a very popular part of the forum. Just keep in mind that the ratio of 2 critiques/1 Workshop entry applies throughout your membership time here. I'm glad you're on board with the give/take ethos of this forum. It's the factor that underpins how we operate.

Cheers for now. :)

Becracer likes this.
  8. Becracer

Becracer Member

Hi Jannert,
    Thanks for your responses on both of my posts. I appreciate the site values and am 100% on board (didn't mean to rock the boat). I agree that having a few decades of life experience under our belts is a leg up. In fact, that perspective makes all the difference. I'm sure that I will find friends amongst the group and look forward to mentoring some of the junior members as well, but most of all I am excited about putting my story out there for somebody besides
    friends and
    family to enjoy. Thanks for the welcome and I hope you choose to comment on my work when I get some posted.

jannert likes this.
  9. K McIntyre

K McIntyre Active Member

I know how you feel. I retired from teaching, and am now free to devote myself to writing. It is the most fun I have ever had too. Most fulfilling, yet challenging. As I write mostly historical fiction, I find myself getting lost down the rabbit holes of research - which is OK, since I always learn something. Enjoy your new passion!

Becracer and jannert like this.
  10. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the forums! I too find myself a little envious that you are able to devote so much time to writing and not get burned out!
    I've already read some of your critiques and very much like the honest, forthright style you offer.
    Hope to see you around for a while and best of luck with your own book, I look forward to reading a few excerpts in the workshop :)

Becracer likes this.
  11. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the forum and welcome to writing! I started my centerpiece when I was 47, set it aside when I was 53 and resumed it to finish it when I was 65. Finished the first draft at 67, published at 68. I am ex-Navy, and I think varied careers like ours, and all the life experiences that go with it, are valuable to writing. Good luck!

Becracer likes this.
  12. Becracer

Becracer Member

Thanks Lew, your story is an inspiration!

13. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Hey, it's my third career! Naval aviator, engineer and now this. And m wife Karen is off on her third, sequel to her second, an American doctor serving with the Royal Army Medical Corps, assigned to the 51st Highland Division, a most interesting unit: BEF, El Alamein, Tunisia, Sicily, Italy, Normandy, all but the first under Bernie Montgomery: He was there at BEF too, but the 51st was under the French command at the time.