1. Smithy

Smithy New Member

Short Story Story style

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Smithy, Oct 24, 2009.

I'm writing a fantasy short story and I need some advice about what style to write it in.

The story itself is a fable-style affair, about how mankind is reconciled with the god of the sea and earns the right to sail, fish and generally go in the water without being killed.

I have a half formed idea in my mind to try and write it in a more 'elevated' style, sort of Shakespearean/Homeric, but there are other times when I think that it might be better written in my normal low style.

Which should I go for, or would it be possible to intermix the two, possibly by having some characters speak in a more high sounding manner than others, use more purple language etc, than others?

2. Mo Yeongsu

Mo Yeongsu New Member

Dude, without trying to be rude, I just want to say that these kinds of questions aren't what you should bring here. Granted, I'm still new on this board, but something like what voice to write it in is something that no one can tell you to do. That's like coming in and asking, "What should I write?" You're the author and it's your duty. You can give us something for review or comparison between both styles in the Review section of the forum. But I just don't think this is appropriate as it is your story and the style of writing is something you have to discover for yourself. Try writing a page or two of each and pick the one you feel best about.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

fyi, that = 'pompous/pretentious'...

as for the answer to your question, i have to ditto mo's wise words...

4. AmandaC

AmandaC New Member

How about writing it like a story would be told. A bedtime story, something told around the campfire, etc.

5. gocubsgo25

gocubsgo25 New Member

My advice is to tell it like you're telling it to a close friend. Would you say "He spoke suspiciously, with a hint of malevolence woven into his deep baritone" or would you say "He spoke suspiciously"? Keep it simple.

Don't become pretentious or pompous. Why use a million-dollar word when a hundred-dollar word will work fine?

Best of luck!

6. wave1345

wave1345 New Member

More of the same. Let it flow.

If you find that difficult (I do, often), try this: pick a style you love to read.
    Now, try to write in that style. You won't get it 100% right. It will be different,
    and that's the point. As you do it, you'll naturally settle into a style that is
    your own. "Ape the hand of a master". No shame in doing that in the beginning.
    Finding your style - and becoming comfortable with it - is a process that will
    take a long time. Personally, I write in a different style - often a different POV -
    every time I open my current story back up. Eventually I'll figure out which one
    is right for me.

7. architectus

architectus Banned

You could write it in an older style like Bujold (though she is a modern writier) or more casual like Terry Pratchet. You could stike middle ground with a modern YA style like Abarat.

Who is your target audience?