?

How many literary agents did you contact before getting a yes?

1. 1-20

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. 20-40

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 50+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Haven't tried yet

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Jordan Hart

Jordan Hart New Member

Currently Reading::
    Cari Mora

Starved of writer friends

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jordan Hart, Dec 12, 2022.

Hello, my name is Jordan H. I've finished three manuscripts, one of which is very important to me and awaiting rejection from the many agents I'm about to send it to.

I have a lot of questions and some big problems, and no one to really talk to about it. Not for lack of good intentions or supporters, but my gamer husband in tech doesn't know what's what, just like I don't with UX research or Witcher. My mom is a mom, who knows about plenty, but not writing or publishing. The Mom-Husband fanbase is great, but I still feel very much on my own.

I tend to be pretty reserved and independent to a clinical degree. But at this point, now that I've done what a writer does and write, I feel like I need not only power-lifting support from others, but like, a team. But it's still just me, and I don't know... It's feeling a little impossible.

I'm currently editing it... Again. This will be the third edit. I'm also hiring a beta reader to give me some feedback. I want to give it the best chance I can on a very meager budget.

Anyway, it would be lovely to meet some other writers, maybe trade complaints, questions, stories, or triumphs. Thank you for reading.

petra4, Some Guy, Set2Stun and 3 others like this.
  2. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Welcome!

That's how I felt when I first started writing. I was my own judge and it wasn't helpful. At all.

Being here and contributing to the forum as much as I can has helped me massively, I really feel as if my writing wouldn't be what it is today if it wasn't for this place.

The biggest difference between the forum and social media is how this place is small enough so you don't drown among a million other users. You're very likely to be noticed here if you make an active effort.

I advise you to contribute lots in the workshop. People will really appreciate it if you write thoughtful critiques that are of value. I think this is ultimately what helped me the most.

That said, I hope we can see each other in the workshop. If you do critiques there, you will also be allowed to share your own work!

Louanne Learning likes this.
  3. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Welcome Jordan! You have come to the right (write?) place!

Please explore the forum and I hope to see you in the threads.

As @ps102 mentioned, the workshops are a great place to learn more about the craft. See you there!

4. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

This community has got me through a lot of writing hardships and questions I didn't think would be answered. Like it enough to call it my writing home since late 2007. I'll think you'll find it to be a pleasant, yet interesting community.

And if you stay long enough and help others out, you can find quite a few beta readers here for free. :)

petra4, Jordan Hart and Thundair like this.
  5. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Welcome here, Jordan.

Jordan Hart likes this.
  6. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

This should be the website's slogan.

"You have come to the write place."

Literal perfect double meaning.

7. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Welcome Jordan. What genre do you write?

8. Jordan Hart

Jordan Hart New Member

Cari Mora
    Thank you, and I'll definitely check out the workshop. Seems like good practice too.

ps102 likes this.
  9. Jordan Hart

Jordan Hart New Member

Cari Mora
    Mostly sci-fi, but one of them is a noir thriller. What about you?

10. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Historical fiction and others. My last book that I'm waiting until January to release to get a 2023 date has a bit of magic, but I don't want to break my readers away to fantasy. There is a healer that my warriors can go to—while still alive---and be made new. I struggle on how to mention this in the blurb and remain—mostly historical fiction.

11. Jordan Hart

Jordan Hart New Member

Cari Mora
    Is it so central to the plot that it has to be in the blurb?

Man, I struggle with blurbs. I'd rather write a full length novel than a blurb.

Thundair likes this.
  12. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Maybe what you have is historical fantasy?

And welcome @Jordan Hart :) I learnt plenty when I first joined this forum. I don't frequent much anymore but I actually could use someone to bounce ideas off and to ask me questions. So if you fancied a partner like that, hit me up :)