1. sfr

sfr New Member

Where do you draw the line?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sfr, Sep 24, 2008.

You breathe and that takes oxygen, but it also creates CO2. I think we all have some idea of the circle of life. However to benifit from mass genocide is clearly wrong. My question to you is where do you draw the line? Do you commit suicide so you that dont take up resources while fertilizing the earth. Do you kill animals or anything with a brain to eat? Do you kill plants? Where do you draw the line?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

Do you commit suicide so you that dont take up resources while fertilizing the earth.

...a silly idea... and i certainly haven't done that, which i would have, if i believed it made any sense [which it never would!] and would improve anything... and if i had, i couldn't answer this question, could i?

Do you kill animals or anything with a brain to eat?

...i kill no fellow member of the animal kingdom... nor do i eat or use parts of any killed by others...

Do you kill plants?

...not just to 'kill'... only to eat and use for life-necessary things, as they are meant to be, within the 'essential trinity' of life... http://saysmom.com/maia/content.asp?Writing=46

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

The idea of a line is nearly a pointless endeavor. You can put it anywhere you want and someone's not going to like it. It's human nature.

As such I say leave people to their own designs so long as those designs do not interfere with those of others (within reason). Yes it's drawing one of those pointless lines and someone will hate it but if everyone just lets others go about their business as they see fit a lot of pointless conflict can be avoided.

Live and let live and the world is a much easier place to live in. So long as no one infringes unreasonably in my life I won't get involved in other people's business.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I think the line in bold sums it up quite nicely. :rolleyes:

5. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I draw a line on paper. Sometimes I draw a lot of them, and make a pretty picture.

6. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

what is this thread

(The lack of correct punctuation anywhere at all in the above is meant to represent my complete confusion at what the point of this thread actually is.)

7. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

A draw a line, and dare you to cross it! Then I keep doing it until I get to a cliff... ahhhh, classic Looney Toons. :p

8. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I have enough things to worry about in life without obsessing over how many creatures I'm killing by the mere act of breathing. I work hard enough just to try not to step on any ants when I walk around outside, though that just means I step on innocent blades of grass (not to mention countless invisible microbes). Do you think elephants stop to consider the bugs and plants they must be stepping on when they walk? What about the organisms that depend on our LIVING body, if we kill ourselves to spare everything else, what about them? Wouldn't their deaths be our fault too? Not to mention any people or animals that depend on us being alive? Darned if you kill yourself, darned if you don't?

Life happens. Death happens. It's natural.

I think as long as we're not going OUT OF OUR WAY to cause destruction and carnage and waste, it works out in the end. Like I said, I have enough guilt trips of my own to deal with without adding this to the list.

9. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

I can respect people who want to live in true peace with all living things, but I personally don't feel any moral imperative to avoid eating animals. I wouldn't feel particularly aggrieved if a lion killed and ate me. I mean, I'd be unhappy to die, but I wouldn't think of it as somehow unfair. So I don't regard it as unfair if I eat another animal.

On the other hand, tormenting an animal needlessly is wrong, in my eyes, since we gain nothing from it. (In fact, we lose quite a lot; animals raised to live the way their biology intended them and without fear or pain tend to be a lot tastier and healthier to eat.) Therefore, I prefer to eat animals that have been raised well and killed quickly and humanely rather than in mass feedlots and so on. Which makes it a bit expensive, so we eat less meat, which is better for us anyway. (Meat's good for protein, but you don't need to eat much to get the protein you require.)

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I know my place on the food chain, and I'm comfortable with it. I might be able to subsist on vegetables, but not thrive; I lived as a vegetarian for about a year. I am an omnivore, and with no regrets.

I draw the line at wasteful killing. To me, that includes chopping down a tree merely to decorate my home for the winter holiday. But I don't condemn another who believes that to be an important part of their religious observance of the holidays.

My line is mine alone.

11. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

We all set our own boundaries. I will not eat any type of meat that is considered "wild". But that is me.
    I wish I was one of "Green" people. But I am not that either.