Tags:
  1. mrieder79

mrieder79 Probably not a ground squirrel Contributor

Do you make maps?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by mrieder79, Mar 26, 2019.

I've never done it, but my current book is set in a very small area. I've started off writing with lots of landmark references and it's obvious I'm going to need a map to keep everything straight.

Anyone have any tricks, and suggestions about mistakes you've made?

Thanks in advance.

Flowergothic likes this.
  2. Flowergothic

Flowergothic New Member

What I usually use is the MyMaps feature on Google Drive. You can go to whatever part of Google Maps that best fits your story and label buildings to keep track of where everything is. You can even add descriptions to the places you mark! Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 7.55.58 AM.png
    (One MyMap I did when I was 12 or 13)

mrieder79 likes this.
  3. DarkPen14

DarkPen14 Florida Man in Training Contributor

http://www.fantasticmaps.com/

There's a lot of tips for making maps there.

4. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

I do historical fiction, but I include a lot of maps because I use period names which few know today. I use maps whenever my group is on the move in a chapter, showing start and end, and anything of interest. I use an old military map maker, Falconview, which is supposed to be available on open source from Georgia Tech Resarch Institute, but I have not had any success locating a download site to update my XP version.

5. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Falconview also allows me to compute exactly how long a route is, and if I have the overlays, zoom down to terrain or aeronautical maps, or zoom up to TIROS maps.

6. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

I try to keep the descriptions as vague as possible. Otherwise it's hard to remember what's referred to in the story and what can still be changed. A tree structure with cities, regions, houses and main characters can easily be modified.

7. Fallow

Fallow Banned

It makes sense to have something just so you don't make a 200 mile journey take less time then the character that is taking a cab downtown. That was one of Tolkien's reasons.

8. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I sometimes make small maps just so that I remember where everyone is in relation to each other. I don't make it while I'm writing the first draft though, I write the plot as it needs to be then decide where everything is.