1. [ESCAPE]

[ESCAPE] New Member

Various Syndromes~<3

Discussion in 'Research' started by [ESCAPE], Aug 5, 2011.

So we all know about Stockholm Syndrome [wikipedia it if you don't :D] I was wondering if there was anything more like that for this strange story I'm writing xD I don't mean that I want it to be something related to criminals + pity for the criminals. I just mean, you know, various "syndromes" of the mind.

I guess I'm explaining things strangely. I mean strange thoughts + irregular behaviors of the mind, you know, like murphy's+muphry's laws and, of course, Stockholm syndrome.

I'm willing to clarify... to an extent.
    Thanks in advance :love: ;)

2. tsuki2000

tsuki2000 New Member

I'm still not really sure what you're after, but here are a good of weird ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capgras_delusion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anosognosia

I don't know how serious you are regarding this story, but you may want to check your local library for a copy of Phantoms in the Brain by V. S. Ramachandran and Sandra Blakeslee. The book discusses odd thought patterns/delusions/etc. that can arise in the wake of injury or illness. Both of the conditions I linked to are covered by Ramachandran.

3. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

I don't too much about syndromes but you should look up complexes aswell. Things like messiah complex and god complex.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A syndrome is merely a loose connection of symptoms that are associated as a group often enough to suspected of having a common cause.

5. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

What Cog said. Your request is far too vague...

You're basically asking for a list of mental disorders, and there's whole textbooks detailing hundreds of those.
    What type of psychiatric conditions are you looking for?

6. [ESCAPE]

[ESCAPE] New Member

By syndromes I mean something happening, let it be physical or mental, that triggers irregular thoughts/behaviors.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sorry, but that isn't what a syndrome is. And as Joker said, you really need to be much more specific.

If you are looking for diagnostic criteria for emotional disorders, you might google DSM IV. But it probably won't mean much to you unless you have at least a basic knowledge of Abnormal Psychology. It doesn't sound like you do. No offense intended.

8. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

There literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of syndromes involving strange thoughts and behaviours. Everything from OCD and Schizophrenia to munchhausens and maunchhausens by proxy. If you define what the behaviour is, maybe we can get close to helping you. What is it that your MC does or thinks?

Cheers.

9. The_NeverPen

The_NeverPen Member

Let me give you a few ways to narrow down what you are looking for.

First, "syndromes" can be either organic or psychogenic. Organic means that there has been injury or something wrong with the development of a part of the brain. Injury can be something like head trauma or it can be something internal, like a stroke or an aneurysm. Where the injury is will determine what kind of problems the person will have. These problems can be perceptual (not being able to recognize human faces, not being able to understand language), motor control (loss of balance, inability to walk) or cognitive (inability to count, inability to rationalize, loss of memory). These problems can all get even more specific, and the case studies you can read are at the same time fascinating and heart-breaking. I suggest reading "The man who mistook his wife for a hat" by Oliver Sacks and the aforementioned "Phantoms of the mind" by Ramaschandran and Blakeslee.

Psychogenic disorders are what we're most familiar with in popular culture. These are different in that the person has all of their undamaged, but it either doesn't work right or the individual just thinks "wrong". Clinical depression, bi polar disorder and schizophrenia are examples of disorders where the brain is intact, but parts of it don't function properly and as a consequence, the individual's behavior is abnormal. Things like Stockholm Syndrome are behaviors picked up by experience, they have nothing to do with whether someone's brain is uninjured or working properly. Behavioral disorders, while perhaps having an organic component, are generally considered to be learned as well. I suggest looking through an abnormal psychology textbook from your library to get an overview of psychogenic disorders.

So, I could list off a bunch of "syndromes" for you, or you could specify what it is that you're looking for and people here could help more. If you don't want to give away top-secret story information to the world, you can PM me and I can help get a better idea of what you want exactly.

By the way, Murphey's law isn't a syndrom or disorder of the mind, but thank you for the lol.

1 person likes this.