1. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Living in my own little world Contributor

Stormsong07's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Stormsong07, Apr 10, 2017.

Let me start this by saying my goal is to have a polished manuscript ready to start submitting to agents by the end of this year.
    Perhaps it's far-fetched, but there it is.

WIP has a working title of Beast Riders/ Wild Roses. They're interchangeable, really, and neither will be the final title.
    I started working on it at the end of January. As of now, April 10, I have 25,812 words and have completed 8 chapters. Aiming at a YA audience, so a length of roughly 55,000 words. Give or take. Of course, the story will dictate the length.

Notes for me:

Current things to work on:
    A. King Jereth's motivations for killing his aunt and uncle to take the throne. It's gotta be more than just wanting more power.
    1) Possible connections to the Black Mages of Nyshtar? Something about him wanting to work with them and his aunt and uncle totally against it? Hmmm.
    i)If this is the case, then I need to figure out exactly how the Black Mages work and their relationship with the Drorm and how this would affect the kingdom of Valaria (Jereth's kingdom).

B. The capture of Kaelie.
    1) Two agents, working for the Vastels. Supposed to kill Kaelie, but one makes the other wait? (give time for the WRs to rescue her)

C. The Vastels.
    1) Moral ambiguity like BayView suggested? Alastair Vastel working for the king...didn't kill Kaelie when she was little bc he also had a kid and couldn't bring himself to do it, so he hid her but did his best to keep her away from the WR.

BlitzGirl and Homer Potvin like this.
  2. Stormsong07

Curse you, The Nethergrim, for being a good book and distracting me from writing. Must write today. No excuses.

3. Stormsong07

Why are all my similes and metaphors water-based when my novel isn't? Ugh.
    Also, how do you describe a redneck, low-born accent without being too uppity-sounding?

"The speaker had a rough, low voice and spoke in the manner of someone who didn’t spend much time in civilized company, making it hard for Kaelie to understand all his words."

I don't know if I like that. "The speaker had a rough, low voice and spoke with a peasant's broad vowels...."

"with a low-born accent, as if he hadn't spent much time in civilized company..."

Also, I feel like a rough, backcountry mercenary not afraid to do the dirty work picking his fingernails with a large knife might be stereotypical.
    I will not name him Cletus. I will not name him Cletus. I will not. Even if that's the only name that pops in my head.

Why can't I think today?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  4. Stormsong07

Trying to slog through this scene but having issues. Once more to the progress journal procrastination front then.
    Brainstorming.....
    -How long do I want K. to be captured? Unnamed-as-of-yet thug for hire wants to rape her, how long can I put that off? Do the Riders come to the rescue? Or should Kaelie find a way to escape and run off into the woods? Hmm.
    A too-brief capture would seem sort of lame. What's the point of the build-up if she escapes/is rescued too easily? Yet if all they want to do is rape and kill her, they wouldn't wait too long to do so.
    I'm thinking she finds a way to escape and flees into the woods, starting a pursuit from the thugs. Encounter in the woods...dragon?? A Beast outside the Sanctuary is nearly unheard-of...but what if Kaelie runs into one who helps her fight off the thugs, but then flees before the Riders get there, prompting a was-it-really-there scenario...and making Kaelie think of a dragon as her mount later...hmm. this has potential.
    Last Rider who had a dragon mount was her grandfather...but she doesn't know it was her grandfather, bc she doesn't know who her real father is.
    I think I like this.

5. Stormsong07

I named him Cletus. :meh: Can't think of anything else. I'll change it later.

6. Stormsong07

Wonder how many curse words I can put in this (and how vulgar they can be) and have it still be considered YA. Older YA, but still YA. If anyone reading this knows, feel free to chime in.

7. Stormsong07

I think I'm way over-thinking this whole kick-in-the-nuts thing.

Time to just move forward and write. Today's WC is 27,115. Not a whole lot of progress from when I started this journal, mostly due to agonizing over details.

Just write, Jen, quit nitpicking and move forward with the story already. Gah.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin Spitting .45 caliber grammar.... Contributor

Yeah, shut up, Jen!! :D:D:D

Stormsong07 likes this.
  9. Stormsong07

Maybe if this chapter didn't SUCK so much, I'd stop nitpicking it and it'd be easier to write. Ugh.
    *Note to self: Chapter 9 is flagged for editing later.

No comments from the peanut gallery, @Homer Potvin, lol.

Current word count: 27, 858. Slow progress.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  10. Stormsong07

Final WC from yesterday ended up being 28,366, and finished that pesky Chapter 9. With a cliff hanger!
    Now for the fight scene, because Cletus has returned and is PISSED about the nut kick...dun dun dunnnnnn

I still need a non-hillbilly name for him. gah.

11. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

I had a scene that involving a kick to the balls that I loved, but, took out because it didn't fit the characters involved in the scene. The female MC was facing off with a giant of a guy. She say, "I can take you down with one punch." He dared her to try. She puts on a little show for the audience and then kicks him in the balls. Fun scene. He came back for revenge too.

Stormsong07 likes this.
  12. Stormsong07

/begin pity party/
    While finding these forums is a good thing, it's also a bummer, because I'm realizing as I post how flawed my writing is. You know that feeling when you write something, and you think it's awesome, then people pick it apart? Yeah, that's the one. I keep posting stuff on here and people keep pointing out the flaws and honestly, it's a little disheartening.

But it's all about developing that thick skin. Editors/agents will be even more harsh, so it's better to figure it out now. Better to have my errors picked apart now. And, as I keep reminding myself, I'm still writing the first draft. It's bound to kind of suck. That's what re-writes are for.

I guess I'm just now starting to realize exactly how much work is in front of me. I was all sunshine and daisies, "Oh, I'm a college graduate who majored in Creative Writing and has LIFE EXPERIENCES because I'm 31 years old and my writing is AWESOME" and now I'm realizing "Holy sh*t I have to work at this."

Bubble officially popped./end pity party/

I'm running away to read some more and analyze dialogue and all that good stuff.

Lifeline and Stormburn like this.
  13. Stormburn

Being a writer who is in the same position as you, I am really grateful for you honesty and openness. Since I'm retooling my 'Forgotten Realms' series into an original property, I've decided to write short stories in order to progress in story telling and word craft. I have two are about a week away from being posted for opinions and your attitude is inspiring.
    Godspeed!

Stormsong07 likes this.
  14. Lifeline

Lifeline Going South. Supporter Contributor

Yeah it is, at first. Until you get past your self-pity (looks like you're already past that point :) ) and crack your knuckles, and crack down to make it better. It WILL get easier, I promise, though there's no end of line. There's always a mistake you (or I) haven't made yet :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Stormsong07 likes this.
  15. Stormsong07

Trying to get motivated to write more. Having an "everything I write is crap" WEEK.

16. Stormburn

Have you tried switching to a side project? I deal with the issue where, for whatever reason, I get stuck. I've learned, or in the process of learning, to switch to a side project. The words seem to flow again and it allows me to continue to write while letting my main project to have time to cook. Then, the bell sounds 'idea ready' and I'm back to writing the main project.
    Godspeed!

Stormsong07 likes this.
  17. Stormsong07

Yeah, for whatever reason, I'm having a hard time with these two latest chapters. I don't know why, bc they are full of action, and usually that's easy to write for me. But right now...it isn't. I'm thinking of taking a break to finish reading the 3 different books I'm in the middle of, which are all written in very different styles, (one fantasy fiction like I'm writing, one zombie-apocalypse book written in present tense, and one space opera big novel lol) and kind of analyzing the writing styles as I go.
    I don't really have any other WIP right now.
    I have been dragging out some of my old poetry and posting that here as a distraction though.

18. Stormburn

I've started writing short stories. It is a blast to write something that progresses so quickly. My vampire story is in its 3rd draft and my Mongols vs. Aliens story is in its second. I should that that finished by the end of the weekend.
    Godspeed!

Stormsong07 likes this.
  19. Stormsong07

Pushed past my stuck point and have made nearly 2k words worth of progress today. (heh..words worth...Wordsworth...the poet...heh heh)
    Also, hit 30K today! Woohoo!
    Current word count: 30,472. And still going today.
    Also, finally re-named Cletus to Hugo. Works for me.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  20. Stormsong07

Finished Chapter 10. Still slow going. WC: 30,798.
    Got a lot going on in my life right now. Makes it hard to focus.

21. Stormburn

Slow going is progress and, in the end, progress, not speed, is what counts. Good job!

Stormsong07 likes this.
  22. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

In someways posting stuff for open critique isn't the best way forward, especially as you often get so many view points its worthless - personally my preference is for two or three trusted alpha readers to read chapter by chapter and give their thoughts and feelings.

That aside as you said yourself first drafts are supposed to be crap - everyone edits and revises, but you can't edit and revise a blank page so you have to write the story before you can polish it

Stormsong07 and Stormburn like this.
  23. Stormsong07

OK, been off the grid for a bit, but now am back. I usually write at work, and I've been working in a different location which kept me extremely busy for a while. But today I am back in a slow spot, so it's time to dust off the manuscript and get cracking.

24. Stormburn

I know what you mean. I've just finished a project and have returned home for R&R. My plan is too block out a chunk of time for writing and restrict it to specific projects and tasks. Lord Willing, I can maintain a certain amount of production and progress.
    Godspeed!

Stormsong07 likes this.
  25. Stormsong07

Finally have time to work on my story again but I am in a FOUL mood and don't want to deal with people. Even imaginary ones. RAAARRRRRGHHHH!