Stormsong07's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Stormsong07, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Re-read begun. Taking the opportunity to add little comments on parts that sound funny or need revision- not doing the revision now, but flagging trouble spots for later.

Stormburn likes this.
  2. Stormsong07

Ok. Took all day yesterday to do a full re-read, taking notes on things I wanted to fix. Some take-aways:

1. Kaelie spends a lot of time in her head, her "thoughts swirling". Somehow I need to get her out of her head more. She has a ton of questions about stuff going on, who she is, what actions she should take...but I have seriously about 5 or 6 different times where she is just sitting around thinking and wondering about what to do/who she is. I need less angst, more action....but how? How do you show the indecisiveness of a character without getting stuck in their head?

2. Apparently I like describing older people as having "hair shot through with silver". Need to work on character descriptions.

3. I've been focusing so much on what was happening in my story right then (at the point where I was writing) and forgetting just how much I have going on before. Wow, I really have a lot going on and it really reads like a novel! I was reading yesterday and was like, omg, I'm only at the point where such-and-such happens, I have so much more to read! and it was exciting. Shows how far I have come on this and makes me happy.

4. My prologue SUCKS. Especially the first paragraph. Will need a total re-vamp.

5. Found a lot of inconsistencies to fix. Noted all of them.

Overall, the re-read did me a lot of good. I think I will leave my notes as-is for editing later, and work on moving forward. However, first I need to decide if I'm going to add some scenes, and whether that would affect where I currently left off. I feel like I rushed Kaelie's last few weeks in Rosehold prior to Selection Day (ugh, still don't like that name but can't think of a better one). And I left out a few scenes that need to be there. Brienne kind of fell out of the story, even though she's supposed to be keeping an eye on Kaelie. I need to bring in a certain plot point that her mother was investigating something important to make sure it's not forgotten. The bulk of that point will be in book 2, but I need to set the groundwork here. And some other things. Sooo...to work.

Dracon and Stormburn like this.
  3. Dracon

Dracon Contributor Contributor

Maybe they can go asking other characters for advice? At least then there is a dialogue, and insight into the mind of other supporting characters.

zoupskim, Stormsong07 and Stormburn like this.
  4. Stormsong07

New word count: 65,704. Guys, I wrote 2,426 words today! That is more progress than I've made in MONTHS. I sat down and plotted my scenes out (I am SUCH a planner) and that helped SOOO much. And a little scene I had in mind where the bully (D) was trying to make up to K went so well. I originally planned for D to tell K he never disliked her, in fact, it was the opposite, and K was just going to get flustered and run off, but K had other ideas in mind! She went off on D, even pulled a dagger on him bc she thinks its all another trick. Didn't plan it that way, but it works and I love it when my MC takes things into her own hands. So pleased with today's work.

Alan Aspie and Stormburn like this.
  5. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

I completely identify with this struggle you're going through! I am going through exactly the same situation: Nearly finished, but procrastinating because, even though I'm excited to finally finish a story, I am also dreading it. And I also am wanting to make sure the final scenes live up to the hype I've had in my head!

So I wish you luck!!

6. Stormsong07

1533 more words today so far, for a total of 67,239. Took me a while to get going, and I paused here and there, but kept making myself move forward. Now I'm paused again, pondering....who would oversee Selection Day? A Beast Riders ranking officer, I would think. So I have captains and I have an overall general...I think I need someone in between. A major or lt.col or col. Hmmmm.

OK.

There will be a Major over every 2 companies. So Kingsguard and War Cry will be under one (Battalion 1), then Cold Steel and Demon's Bane will have one (Battalion 2), Beastlords and Skull Claw will have one (Battalion 3), then the Wild Roses won't have one yet bc while there is a plan to eventually have 8 companies, as of now there are only 7, so Captain Acacia handles all the business of the Roses.

Then a Colonel over each group of 4 companies. So one for KG, WC, CS, and DB (Brigade A), and one for BL, SC, and WR. (Brigade B)

And those Colonels report to General Elwood.

Yes. I think that works.

So....Selection Day. A rotating responsibility amongst the 3 majors, I think. (Roses don't get a turn to run it, which is meant as a slight, but Capt. Acacia is ok with it, bc she's got enough on her plate as it is.) This one will be run by...The Cold Steel/Demon's Bane major. Battalion 2's major. Who I now have to name.

On it.

zoupskim, BlitzGirl and Stormburn like this.
  7. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

Isn't research fun. Especially when you have to make up the stuff you need to research.

zoupskim and Stormsong07 like this.
  8. Stormsong07

Luckily this wasn't research so much as simply remembering the military chain of command from my time in the US Army lol.

Stormburn likes this.
  9. Stormsong07

Just after laying down to sleep last night I came up with the PERFECT solution to fixing my terrible prologue. Sat up and texted it to myself, much to the consternation of my husband, lol. But I am happy with the idea, and noted it in my current draft so I remember to change it later. It will require a complete re-write of the prologue (which will make the 2nd total prologue re-write) but unlike the others, I feel like this one fits with the story much better.

BlitzGirl and Stormburn like this.
  10. Stormsong07

1,759 words so far today, most of them in Chapter 30, my big Selection Day scene. Got the confrontation with the main, personal antagonist written, and K's Beast has officially entered the story. Now I just need to decide between Option 1: does Beast kill Antagonist (he's just a patsy for a bigger, badder antagonist in the next book, so I don't need him to stay.) Or Option 2: does Beast spare Antagonist at K's request?

Option 1 brings the satisfaction of revenge to (MC) K, of justice served. But it brings the complication of Antagonist being D's father. D is wanting to pursue a relationship with K. K has to get over her massive, massive trust issues with D before that can happen.(but will eventually) Option 1 gives me the chance to write a future storyline where here in this book K doesn't tell D how/why his father died, and after their relationship is mended and they are together, D finds out and it brings more obstacles to the relationship. Tempting...

Option 2 plays more to K's softer, more forgiving side, and can set up the dynamic of Beast's....well, beast-y, animalistic urges clashing with K's human compassion. It plays to K upholding the justice system and bringing Antagonist to the authorities. It also smooths the path to K and D's relationship a little faster (bc Antagonist is still around to talk to, K can more fully understand why D was such a bully....it was bc his father pushed him to be one. Without that explanation from Antagonist, that "yes, D is telling the truth, I made him do it" the trust issues K has with D will mend a lot slower.)

Any of you have thoughts on this? I'm pretty torn.

Stormburn likes this.
  11. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

It's hard to tell which option is best. A few questions to consider (they do overlap some):

Which is most in character for the character?
    What do you think will benefit the story the most?
    As this is appears to be near the end, which ending will leave the reader more satisfied, and interested in the next tale/book?
    If the antagonist survives, will he play a part later on that might influence not only this event, but the direction later on?

The ramifications will certainly influence the direction of the story, at least to some extent.

Good luck as you move forward.

Stormburn and Stormsong07 like this.
  12. Stormsong07

And wiser heads then mine prevail. Because, when I really look at it....of COURSE K would have compassion. Her whole story arc centers around the fact that she is hesitant and shy and doubtful and kind, and works to become stronger. But a character like that wouldn't suddenly turn bloodthirsty in the end, even if it were in regards to the man who had her father figure killed.
    I guess I was just a little too tempted by the possibility of coming up with a conflict for my next book already lol.

13. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

Both sound good. You could bullet point the story progression for both path, and see where they take you. Or, just skip ahead and write scenes based upon both.

TWErvin2 and Stormsong07 like this.
  14. Stormsong07

Super productive week so far. I'm quite pleased. Today's goals:

-Brainstorm about the dragon. I've been so wrapped up in just GETTING to the dragon I haven't really thought about it specifically. I need a name, I need an age range (though I think I have that) I need abilities, I need size compared to humans, I need all of that.
    -Brainstorm about old other-world language. I have one word figured out, but I need things like "old blood" and "dragon bloodline" in this other language. Also, the dragon's name needs to sound foreign, but not too much like any one Earth-based dialect. Hmmm.

Once that is figured out, it's back to writing. After the SD chapter concludes (I'm about halfway to 3/4 there now) the next chapter should be an easy write- its a scene between Lt. D and her brother, some of which I already have jotted down in my notebook. (I find that sometimes, when outlining a scene, especially a conversation, bits of dialogue already come to me, so I write them down in my notes until I actually come linearly to that scene in my novel)

But then I will need another brainstorm session, because it's my LAST MAJOR SCENE OF THE BOOK!!! The Battle of Rosehold, which will require some planning, because again, I've been so wrapped up in getting there I haven't thought much past it.

BlitzGirl and Stormburn like this.
  15. Stormsong07

Hmm, this language and naming process is harder than I thought.
    The original society the dragons come from was very much based on the dragon-human relationship. So I'm thinking a very sibilant-sounding language, one that would have been easier for the long-tongued dragons to say. The dragons used to speak out loud, in the old land, but much of the language has faded, and so now rely primarily on mind-speech with the magic users. (Perhaps they still speak the language amongst themselves?) So far I have:
    dragassa - dragon
    blussang- blood
    blussanglinas- bloodline
    hass blussang- old blood

Struggling quite a bit with the name of the dragon, however.

zoupskim, BlitzGirl and Stormburn like this.