1. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

Story arc

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by Hublocker, Dec 3, 2021.

How the heck do I create a story arc out of a loosely connected bunch of anecdotes about growing up in an isolated boat/air access only logging town?

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I've got no experience in this, but I'd look for a common theme or maybe even a physical landmark common to all of the stories (supermarket, fishing spot, etc.).

One of the things with memoirs is the temptation to embellish certain stories or details to make it more interesting but obviously there is a limit to how much you can honestly do this.

If all else fails, just end every chapter with something clever like 'A tree comes down, a house goes up' or 'another tree comes down, another family says goodbye'.

3. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

If the story has historical or documentary value that can take some emphasis off the character arc. Why are the anecdotes being told? Who is telling them? And could the connection between them be upgraded/developed into an escalation, or a rhetorical exposition of a deeper idea or theme?

4. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    Yes, more information is needed. If it's fiction, my first idea would be to switch POVs when two characters meet - one ending their part of the narrative, and the other starting. Not necessarily a conversation, but could be taking part in the same event, same line up at a checkout, etc.

5. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

I wrote a 73,000 word memoir and the publisher I sent it to said it needed a story arc.

6. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    Okay, so a non-fiction short story/vignettes kind of deal, but someone who likes the writing wants a linear narrative. Cool place to be. Without reading the work, I think it would be difficult to offer suggestions. Right now, only you might know what would tie the anecdotes together. It might make a lot of sense to get a beta reader. I'm told that a "developmental edit" might be best in this scenario, but of course editors cost money and their opinions are subjective. I'd start with a beta.

7. Desertphile

Desertphile Member

My successful memoir has an "arc" that binds the vignettes with one theme: living alone in a cave for 29 months. Story arc is built with the developmental edit, including memoirs: what supports the narrative? That is, what makes one's memoir worthy of reading? How is your memoir different than the many thousands of memoir manuscripts that agents receive query letters for every year?

With memoirs, it is typical (that is: the majority) for the story arc to be chronological. The memoir starts with an event: a goal; personal growth; death of a friend--- there must be a clear and definitive reason that readers see for why you wrote the memoir. The narrative shows readers how the writer achieved the goal, or terminated the event, with problems and resolutions along the way.

If you are not special; if your event or goal or problem is not special: do not bother writing a memoir unless it is for family and friends.

Idiosyncratic likes this.