1. Gracia Bee

Gracia Bee Member

Story generators

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Gracia Bee, Jan 7, 2012.

When you use story generators is it cheating yourself by using other people's imaginations?
    Or is it just some inspiration?
    I sometimes use them when I feel like writing but don't really want to work on my book. It's just practise for me.
    So does anyone use them and do they help?

2. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

Story Generators are fine, but I personally prefer(you don't have to do this; using it fresh from the generator works just as well) to add my own twist to it, perhaps change it slightly.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

The story generators I've found (and granted, I haven't looked that hard) usually have such ridiculous results I give up. I prefer books of photos, meself. :p

4. Mercury12000

Mercury12000 New Member

Story generators are adulterating, to me.

5. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

This has already been said dozens of times since I have been here; but to reiterate it once more:

Everything under the sun has been written before. It is in how you write and approach a story that makes it unique.

6. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

Which story generators do you use?

7. Sisu

Sisu New Member

Instead of using online story generators, I have had great luck using divination tools to aide in the creation of plots and characters. In my opinion these electronic generators can lead to seemingly contrived narratives. If you are not bothered by the taboo placed upon things such as the I Ching or Tarot cards, they can be an excellent source for inspiration. While I do not consider myself a mystical or spiritual person, I find that using these methods has allowed me to create meaningful and believable plots. It is clear to me, that there is something very really to these methods in terms of exploring your own (sub)conscious or the symbolism of the human condition.